'13 VA RB Derrick Green (Michigan commit)

After the Florida game, in the lockerroom, Tiny Richardson made it a point of emphasis to let Green know that he wanted to block for him next year.

I don't anticipate him visiting here again. Tennessee obviously has tried but I don't think they are going to be able to get down here again for an unofficial.

I don't think that eliminates Tennessee, but a second visit would help for sure.

I do think Green has given indications to a couple of schools that he really likes them. So we will see.

- Hubbs

Reactions: 1 person

I listened to the weekly podcast Hubbs does on VQ yesterday and for some reason felt slightly better about this. Before I listened, I thought it might be 70/30 in favor of Michigan. I now think it's somewhere closer to 50/50.

The podcast just said Green likes all of Tennessee's coaches, but is very impressionable. The key will be the timing of the final sales pitch next week when our coaches go up there one last time. We will see. Hope the lure of the SEC wins him over.

Even if he doesn't announce for us, we will continue to go after him hard until signing day.

To follow up my post above, Hubbs implied they may try to visit the day of the announcement, even skipping portions of the OVs to the degree they can schedule that correctly and that Green allows it.

This is where I think Jay Graham earns his keep. He recruited well at USCjr. I think he'll do the same, here...new staff or not. He doesn't have that Marcus Lattimore-level of player on the roster, yet...and I have to believe he is just itching for one.

If we didn't have a RB coach (like Dooley chose to do his first 2 yrs, here), and one of CJG's rep, then I would not feel too good right about now. But I think Jay stays on this like a Pit Bull hangs onto a steak.

With him on board and with M. North, Harris, and Jenkins....this should spell another dangerous offense. I feel better about Butch Jones offense than I did about Chaney's, and Chaney's offense was second in the conference this past year. It would have been the best in the league if we had a defense that could hold up it's end and give the O a few more possession per game.

Nevertheless, the O was prolific more because of the NFL talent on it, than it was Chaney's play-calling acumen. You give Butch Jones' offense that much talent and watch how explosive it can be.

Last edited:
the other side of the fence is not filled with confidence either FWIW

Im glad u mentioned that, i was curious to know what UM fans thought there chances were. I actually feel pretty confident UT can get him. The mood around UT football with the new coaches seems to be as positive as its been in a while IMO, with the new attitude and his mom wanting him to be closer to home I think he chooses UT.

If we could add Green I think that would play huge dividends for this years season. Our line will be the strength of our team so if we have Green, Lane and Neal all pounding away that only helps us find the best QB option and WR options since we can rely more on the run. I believe with CBJ's offense it'll be awesome having a QB that can pick up that first down on his feet if the play breaks down, we have lacked that the last few years. If Green says no, I just hope we can sway another RB like Barber, Ford, or Kemp

I just hope he sees that this team was a lot closer to be among the elite in conference than the record showed. We were off to a strong start early and had our foot on UF's neck for roughly 3 qtrs....but Sal Sunseri's D just wasn't up to the task.

The talent was there. Wilcox's defense did better with less talent/depth. Now that we are back in a 4/3 alignment, and have a DC who has had success, we should be on more more level footing against the rest of the SEC. Sunseri was basically a career position coach....had no business being hired/promoted in a critical year for Dooley. If we have a good recruiting class, I think we're primed to have a stellar year.

Yeah, I wouldn't say I'm confident we will get Green, but I do think our chances right now are as good as anyone's.

Hubbs implied a while back that Tennessee gets a lot of negative recruiting when it comes to running backs because it has been a while since we've produced a really good one, plus the best one we produced (Foster) had to go to the NFL as an undrafted free agent. Folks say that was Tennessee's fault and cost Foster a lot of money. I've wondered for a while why we seem to have a hard time landing them, and I wonder if there is some truth to what Hubbs said.

"I think he has given Tennessee a legit chance. I have thought Tennessee was in it which is why he hasn't done anything. He likes both schools. I think Jones' visit to the home back in December has kept Tennessee in it. The question is are the in it enough for him to be a Vol."
-Hubbs

I just hope he sees that this team was a lot closer to be among the elite in conference than the record showed. We were off to a strong start early and had our foot on UF's neck for roughly 3 qtrs....but Sal Sunseri's D just wasn't up to the task.

The talent was there. Wilcox's defense did better with less talent/depth. Now that we are back in a 4/3 alignment, and have a DC who has had success, we should be on more more level footing against the rest of the SEC. Sunseri was basically a career position coach....had no business being hired/promoted in a critical year for Dooley. If we have a good recruiting class, I think we're primed to have a stellar year.

I don't know if we are primed to have a stellar year, but a solid 7 win season is possible. Our schedule next year is as brutal as any we have played in recent years, and we are losing a ton of offensive talent, so we need to be level headed IMO.

"I think he has given Tennessee a legit chance. I have thought Tennessee was in it which is why he hasn't done anything. He likes both schools. I think Jones' visit to the home back in December has kept Tennessee in it. The question is are the in it enough for him to be a Vol."
-Hubbs

This confirms what I feared was the case. Jones making the in home so early was an act of desperation to keep us in the game. He certainly didn't want to use his visit then and my guess is we aren't going to like how this is going to end

Yeah, I wouldn't say I'm confident we will get Green, but I do think our chances right now are as good as anyone's.

Hubbs implied a while back that Tennessee gets a lot of negative recruiting when it comes to running backs because it has been a while since we've produced a really good one, plus the best one we produced (Foster) had to go to the NFL as an undrafted free agent. Folks say that was Tennessee's fault and cost Foster a lot of money. I've wondered for a while why we seem to have a hard time landing them, and I wonder if there is some truth to what Hubbs said.

We can thank foster for being a lazy ass his senior yr and fulmer throwing him under the bus. Foster has even admitted to this. The school is the reason he was projected as a 2nd rounder if he came out as a junior. Dooley was just too retarded to fight back against negative recruiters

We can thank foster for being a lazy ass his senior yr and fulmer throwing him under the bus. Foster has even admitted to this. The school is the reason he was projected as a 2nd rounder if he came out as a junior. Dooley was just too retarded to fight back against negative recruiters

If I recall, we were Foster's best offer as he was considering San Diego State. His fumbles did not help, but he did hurt himself not coming out early. Hardest is in the league as well, and CBJ can point to Pead.

This confirms what I feared was the case. Jones making the in home so early was an act of desperation to keep us in the game. He certainly didn't want to use his visit then and my guess is we aren't going to like how this is going to end

Didn't he request CBJ to visit or not?

VN Store

Back