'13 VA QB Christian Hackenberg (PSU commit)

Bray hasn't shown the ability to check into a good run play yet. That shows that he hasn't done such a good job of reading defenses or looking at film to this point. If he improves this aspect of his game next season, UT has the best offense in the country.

...Oh yeah, and Hackenberg is a great talent at QB! Go Vols!

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. I see both Bray and Hunter staying for their senior campaign. The likely player to head to the league after next season is Rogers.

These are my thoughts as well. Or at least were. Da'Rick is gone after next season. That is pretty much a forgone conclusion. I have thought for awhile that Bray and Hunter would come back. Because of both having shortened sophomore years due to injury. Now with the fact that Barkely returning makes it very difficult for Bray to be the top QB taken in the 2013 NFL Draft. If he isn't one of the top 2 QBs taken then I think he will come back. I'm not so sure about Hunter anymore though. Apparently he will soon be a father. If he is really almost 100% again like some have stated and has a good year, then I think he will take the money and head to the league.

Yea, Im sure the coaches weren't expecting our run game to be that big of a problem but Bray has to be willing to put in the extra work in the film room too. He can exploit any pass defense he sees but he isn't very good in managing or controlling the run game. The stats don't lie. We had our best running games when Simms was our qb against the two top defenses in the league. Thats not by luck. Bray has to get better at seeing the holes and reading defenses better for the running game.

The reason we had better results running the ball when simms was in was because of his shortcomings not because he manages the run game better. He cant complete passes like tyler so naturally they had to run it more. I feel like a big part of the success can also be attributed to running more under center plays. I hate how long it takes to develop shotgun running plays. when u dont have a very dominant line u cant expect them to maintain blocks that long. The rbs werent helping either. If ur going to run a slow developing play the rb better be getting upfield as soon as he touches rhe rock not dancing around.

Bray hasn't shown the ability to check into a good run play yet. That shows that he hasn't done such a good job of reading defenses or looking at film to this point. If he improves this aspect of his game next season, UT has the best offense in the country.

Sloooow down. Ha.

The reason we had better results running the ball when simms was in was because of his shortcomings not because he manages the run game better. He cant complete passes like tyler so naturally they had to run it more. I feel like a big part of the success can also be attributed to running more under center plays. I hate how long it takes to develop shotgun running plays. when u dont have a very dominant line u cant expect them to maintain blocks that long. The rbs werent helping either. If ur going to run a slow developing play the rb better be getting upfield as soon as he touches rhe rock not dancing around.

That flies in the face of all conventional football wisdom. The threat of a competent passing attack is what is supposed to make running the ball easier, not harder.

Reactions: 1 person

Simms manages the run game a lot better than Bray. Simms is really knowledgeable when it comes to football, he just doesn't have the talent. Simms worked with Peyton this offseason to get better. We ran just as many times with Bray as we did with Simms. We didn't change our offense when Bray went out. Bray will need to spend time in the film room if he wants to get to the next level.

100# AGREE. Bray is a Playstation QB that needs a lot of development above the shoulders.

"It's been really good to me," Hackenberg said. "It has been really eventful these last two or three months. Alabama has been hitting me hard, South Carolina, Miami, Penn State, Tennessee. They have amped up their recruiting for everybody. I think they are looking to go after a quarterback for the (20)13 class to build their class around."
-Rivals.

Really hope this is our QB for 2013. BTW, anyone know if he is visiting for junior day?

Probably not good, but I'm really just speculating. One of the top VA players will commit today apparently, and Hackenberg to Penn State would make sense at this point.

Could be Burns also

Oh yeah it def. could be, I just think Hackenberg would make more sense at this point. Burns was visiting UVA this past weekend before he had to change plans to attend a funeral, and hes going to Stanford this weekend, so I doubt he'd decide right now out of the blue. Hackenberg, on the other hand, took his visit to PSU, and I dont know of any plans for him to go anywhere this weekend, so it makes sense to me.

Looks like I was on the right track

@RivalsMike: Could be huge commitment coming soon for #PennState I am hearing. Tease, tease.

Hackenberg committed to Penn State coach Bill O'Brien last night. Cats outta the bag.

I said before that PSU would get a big QB commit, and a lot of them were jockeying to play for O'Brien, who can always say he coached Tom Brady on the recruiting trail.

Will be interesting to see who we pursue next. I'm assuming Hackenberg was our #1 QB on the board for '13.

Hackenberg committed to Penn State coach Bill O'Brien last night. Cats outta the bag.

I said before that PSU would get a big QB commit, and a lot of them were jockeying to play for O'Brien, who can always say he coached Tom Brady on the recruiting trail.

Lol. Bill O'Brien will be another BB disciple flop.

VN Store

Back