'13 TN OT Christian Morris

Wednesday, assistant coaches Mark Elder and Steve Stripling were in Memphis visiting with Jason Carr and Christian Morris. Carr is still saying he's a Vol but will still likely visit Alabama and Ole Miss. Morris is expected to visit Ole Miss this weekend as well. Remember, Jones hasn't made his in-home visit with either one at this point.

Hubbs

Reactions: 4 people
Classes 1 to 15 are VERY different. Our last 3 classes were top 15 and just about every fan on here points to "we don't have the talent the others do".

#1 class is loaded with 4-5 star recruits.

#5 class has alot of 4 star talent and a couple 5 stars.

#15 class has alot of 3 star kids with a few 4-5 star kids.

There is a big difference in the talent. Coaching can make up for some of the difference. When 40% of your class are "projects", rated #15 or not your in for a bumpy ride IMO.

Not sure I agree. Honestly what is the difference between a 5.7 3* and a 5.8 4*? Honestly these rankings are great for fans but thats it. These recruiting services nor the coach's know how good a player will turn out nor can you the services judge a kids heart, work ethic or lack thereof. I love recruiting and want a top 10 class every year but just not sure there is a hige talent gap from 1-15 in the rankings, jmo

Not sure I agree. Honestly what is the difference between a 5.7 3* and a 5.8 4*? Honestly these rankings are great for fans but thats it. These recruiting services nor the coach's know how good a player will turn out nor can you the services judge a kids heart, work ethic or lack thereof. I love recruiting and want a top 10 class every year but just not sure there is a hige talent gap from 1-15 in the rankings, jmo

Fair enough. We have had 3 top 15 classes the last 3 years. If the class ranked #1 and the class ranked #15 are just about the same, it sure did not look like it on the field. It sure did not look like it come draft day the last couple years. I understand people will point to the coaching as the problem. I do think that plays into it. I also think a good coach can only do so much. Bama, UGA, UF, and others are beating us on the field in part because they are beating us in recruting.

I'm probably reading to much into it but I didn't understand CM standing directly behind everyone with a helmet on in the "visit" picture. I know JC had a helmet on but he was front and center. If CM thought he might end up a Vol wouldn't he thought a little more of the picture? I'll be glad when NSD gets here. I'm almost sure I'm over thinking it but still it seems odd.

He put the helmet on because he didn't want Mora to know he went out on him . Did seem kind of odd though

Fair enough. We have had 3 top 15 classes the last 3 years. If the class ranked #1 and the class ranked #15 are just about the same, it sure did not look like it on the field. It sure did not look like it come draft day the last couple years. I understand people will point to the coaching as the problem. I do think that plays into it. I also think a good coach can only do so much. Bama, UGA, UF, and others are beating us on the field in part because they are beating us in recruting.

Part Coaching, part injury status (particularly key personnel for key gms or periods), and part individual & team match-ups.

Ex. TAMU vs Alabama gm.

Reactions: 1 person
Wednesday, assistant coaches Mark Elder and Steve Stripling were in Memphis visiting with Jason Carr and Christian Morris. Carr is still saying he's a Vol but will still likely visit Alabama and Ole Miss. Morris is expected to visit Ole Miss this weekend as well. Remember, Jones hasn't made his in-home visit with either one at this point.

Hope they don't both decide to go to Ole Miss. Would really hurt.

Tennstud (well-connected in Memphis though very eccentric poster) posted on TOS that Christian has fallen for a girl at UCLA. So, there may actually be another girl issue here.

Maybe he was there during their Undie/Naked run. :loco:

Tennstud (well-connected in Memphis though very eccentric poster) posted on TOS that Christian has fallen for a girl at UCLA. So, there may actually be another girl issue here.

May have gotten White Girled? Is that what MZ Terry called it?

I agree to a point. It's not just the talent level or the coaching difference that determines the outcome of a season. UGA was 5 yards and a few seconds from ending Bama's hopes and having their own.

Schedule - A good example is UGA probably doesn't make it to the SECCG without a favorable one.

Schemes - Anybody want to argue that both the offensive and defensive schemes of A&M are not good enough to beat the NC team in its home stadium despite having lesser overall rated talent? Nope. But Johnny Football in Bama's offense would be a disaster if he ever saw the field under Saban.

Injuries/Discipline Issues - We experienced disaster when Hunter went down in the 2011 season. Dools is probably still coaching had that and other injuries not happened, providing he stayed with the 4-3 D and not hired Sunseri.

However, all things being equal - top 5 talent wins out nearly all of the time.

Reactions: 1 person
Who was the recruit who said something like "Yeah I got a girlfriend in LA. Got a girlfriend here too. If I go somewhere else I'll have a girlfriend there too"

Might have been Joe McKnight or someone from Meat Market.

Seems to me it would be wise to come to UT, after seeing the age of UCLA starting line last year, and four guys coming in this year not counting CM, and we pretty much lose our whole legendary line in a year. Gotta stay home big fella.

VN Store

Back