'13 GA DE Carl Lawson (Auburn commit)

Lawson is freakishly strong. He recently maxed out at Milton High School on February 16th. He maxed 455 lbs. on the bench press, 305 lbs. on the clean, and 455 lbs. on the squat. Ridiculous numbers.

Lawson is freakishly strong. He recently maxed out at Milton High School on February 16th. He maxed 455 lbs. on the bench press, 305 lbs. on the clean, and 455 lbs. on the squat. Ridiculous numbers.

Odd that he benches as much as he squats.

Odd that he benches as much as he squats.

It's uncommon, but not too strange.

There are a handful of players on my team that bench press about the same weight as they squat or some even bench press more weight than they squat, including me.

A number of factors can go into why that happens. Some people are just freakishly strong in the upper body and are strong in the lower body, but like to focus more so on the upper body.

There are a handful of players on my team that bench press about the same weight as they squat or some even bench press more weight than they squat, including me.

A number of factors can go into why that happens. Some people are just freakishly strong in the upper body and are strong in the lower body, but like to focus more so on the upper body.

You're odd. :blink:

that is odd that both numbers are the same but some schools dont let guys go all out on squat.

That's crazy as hell. I don't ever remember guys with stronger bench numbers than squat numbers. My senior year is HS I maxed 305lb on the bench and 505 on the squat. 200lb difference and that was close to how everyone on the team maxes were running. Flowd I'm surprised by you being a LB and not concentrating on your lower body to anchor in against FBs/O-linemen and to help you drive all the way through RBs with no problem.

That's crazy as hell. I don't ever remember guys with stronger bench numbers than squat numbers. My senior year is HS I maxed 305lb on the bench and 505 on the squat. 200lb difference and that was close to how everyone on the team maxes were running. Flowd I'm surprised by you being a LB and not concentrating on your lower body to anchor in against FBs/O-linemen and to help you drive all the way through RBs with no problem.

Yeah I guess the times have changed a little. There are four or five guys on our team that bench press more than they squat. There are many reasons that can contribute to this. Lingering injuries to the lower body such as knee injuries or hamstring injuries can really hinder how much someone can lift on squats. Also some guys just really like to focus on their upper body and don't concentrate on their lower body. These type of guys are more into the way they look than how good they are at football though.

And yeah you are right. Most LBs should be able to squat substantially more than they bench press. I personally don't have the prototype LB bodythough. I was an All-State DE in HS, but was very undersized for the DL. I truly have the body type of a DB, but I'm playing OLB now in college. I missed 2 starts last season because of hamstring injury and it has lingered ever since. So right now my squats and lower body work is lacking behind. I'm hoping I can get it back to 100% for Spring Ball.

Yeah I guess the times have changed a little. There are four or five guys on our team that bench press more than they squat. There are many reasons that can contribute to this. Lingering injuries to the lower body such as knee injuries or hamstring injuries can really hinder how much someone can lift on squats. Also some guys just really like to focus on their upper body and don't concentrate on their lower body. These type of guys are more into the way they look than how good they are at football though.

And yeah you are right. Most LBs should be able to squat substantially more than they bench press. I personally don't have the prototype LB bodythough. I was an All-State DE in HS, but was very undersized for the DL. I truly have the body type of a DB, but I'm playing OLB now in college. I missed 2 starts last season because of hamstring injury and it has lingered ever since. So right now my squats and lower body work is lacking behind. I'm hoping I can get it back to 100% for Spring Ball.

Good luck getting back to full strength. :good!:

Reactions: 1 person
DE Carl Lawson: This is someone that has really exploded onto the scene. Since his dominant weeklong showing at the Rising Seniors Georgia Junior Bowl in December, the 6-foot-3, 245-pounder from Alpharetta (Ga.) Milton has earned double-digit offers. And they've come from all over. In addition to having several from teams in the Southeast, he also has earned them from programs as far away as California, USC and UCLA. Lawson has played only one year of varsity football, which makes his ascent all the more impressive. With his combination of size, quickness and relentlessness, he should keep landing offers.
-Keith Niebuhr & Chris Nee, Rivals.

Someone needs to take a look at your HS SC coach. That should never happen unless someone is recovering from a major leg/foot injury.

Someone needs to take a look at your HS SC coach. That should never happen unless someone is recovering from a major leg/foot injury.

I'm not in HS, I'm in college.

And actually our S&C coach was recently fired. That could be the reason why. But most of the players who are benching more than they squat do have some sort of leg injury.

“I have a few schools that I like right now,” Lawson said. “My top five would be Auburn, UCLA, Alabama, Florida, and USC. I also like Ole Miss and Tennessee. I don’t have a leader." -247

No Georgia or Georgia Tech on the list helps imo. I take that to mean he did not grow up a fan of either.

With him visiting AU again this weekend for AU's Jr Day and us being 1 of 2 teams really sticking out we're hoping for a commitment or to start building on our lead. :)

Where do you play? If you are in texas, I can help.

If not, check with your team physician to see if they use musculoskeletal ultrasound. A nagging or now chronic hamstring strain can actually be a partial tendon tear. This injury can be directly imaged with the ultrasound. More importantly, they could inject PRP around the tear and speed up healing and recovery to a significant degree.

When you stretch your hamstrings, take it to muscle pull only, NO pain. Hold stretch at least 30-60 seconds for 10 reps daily. Stretch after riding bike. Better results stretching a warm muscle.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

VN Store

Back