'13 CA TE Woody Quinn (UT signee)

To your point, a lot of guys happen to enjoy more than one sport as well. 2 other big names that played basketball and football in college were Tony Gonzalez and Julius Peppers. Both probably could have found a roster spot in the NBA as well had they decided to go that route.

2 sport athletes are great. The recent 30 for 30 about BO was a great program. The issue is this kid wasn't a 2 sport athlete. He didn't play football at all.

woodyq.jpg

Looks like a volleyball player.

Iverson played both sports. This kid didn't play football at all for a number of years. Big difference

Fine, lets switch paradigms. Is it really necessary that he's played a full career of high school football? There are examples across sports of people going pro that only picked up a game a few years prior. Talent is talent.

Hey Bruin, I noticed you don't have an avatar. So I found one that's perfect for you.

No need to thank me!

Debbie_Downer.jpg

Reactions: 9 people
If he chose to play volleyball then he clearly had more of a passion for that than football. The reason for that choice is irrelevant. I cant imagine having concerns about a kids lack of passion for a sport being silly. In fact it is very relevant and basically all we have to go on here. The point is he better have freakish talent if he is to overcome his lack of football experience and lack of real commitment to the game IMO.

Just not true.

After thinking it over having a real passion for football is irrelevant in determining a kids ability to succeed in the greatest football conference is the country. I am sure if we have a team full of players that chose other sports instead of playing football at all then that will certainly not effect our ability to succeed at winning championships.

Still dumb, plenty of NFL players liked playing basketball and baseball better. That doesn't mean they automatically half ass football all of the time...

He's playing football now. Sometimes, it just takes a while to find your niche and know what you want to do. If he didn't want to play, he would not be on this path, he'd be chasing tail at co-ed volleyball leagues, IMO.

That's certainly a great place to start chasing tail. that we all can agree on even our friend bobby p! Lol

This kid may have turned over a new leaf with priorities that is certainly possible. I am sure our coaches are doing their homework here and making sure this kid convinces them he is a committed football player.

Hey Bruin, I noticed you don't have an avatar. So I found one that's perfect for you.

No need to thank me!

Debbie_Downer.jpg

I gave freak permission to give me any aviator he saw fit since I don't know how to set one up. I was hoping for something more flattering but I guess beggers can't be choosers.

That's certainly a great place to start chasing tail. that we all can agree on even our friend bobby p! Lol

This kid may have turned over a new leaf with priorities that is certainly possible. I am sure our coaches are doing their homework here and making sure this kid convinces them he is a committed football player.

petrino_large_medium.jpg

Not exactly the look of a guy that will hoist the SEC championship trophy.

Another asinine comment to add to the previous ones. Bo Jackson- Admittedly loved track more
Jimmy Graham- Played bball in college
Antonio Gates- Same
Cornell Green- old school reference
Ray Seals
Chris Weinke, Brandon Weeden, and many other QBs.
I would take all of those guys. Hell I was more passionate about football, but knew I had a better chance to play baseball in college so that's what I focused on. I almost hope you're just trolling.

"Tennessee showed its interest in Quinn last week when new tight ends coach Mark Elder ventured out to the Los Angeles area to see Quinn.

"That was great. We talked about surfing for the first half hour. I think he wants to learn so we talk about that for the first 30 minutes. Then we talked football for about an hour, at least," Quinn said. "He went through all the different things they do with their tight ends and that was really impressive to me and it was kind of getting my mouth watering just to see the way they put a tight end in a wideout, slot, in-line, h-back kind of stuff, motion you around. I liked a lot of what he said and the type of routes they'll do."

"I even asked them, because the SEC is the best conference in the nation, especially defensively, and so when he was trying all this stuff on the board and he was talking about the kind of blocks they're trying to make, me and the d-end one-on-one, all the stuff they do with their tight ends, and I just checked and asked, 'And you've seen my film and believe I can do all that?' and he just started laughing and said, 'Of course, I wouldn't be out here if I didn't,'" Quinn said.

"I just know what a die hard football fan knows. I like the football pedigree. One of the top two or three tight ends in the NFL I like is Jason Witten and he's a former Volunteer and one of my other favorite players is Arian Foster and he's out of Tennessee as well, and also Eric Berry," Quinn said. "So, I guess a lot of my favorite players happen to be from Tennessee. I can't say I've followed the Volunteers in the past too much except for when I see a game or see them on Sportscenter. I really admire the guys that come out of Tennessee. Especially Arian Foster. He kind of had a down senior year, went to the NFL undrafted and then went to the NFL and proved a lot of people wrong."

- VQ

Woody Quinn - Highlight Videos, Schedule & Roster - Hudl

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back