'12 VA DT Korren Kirven (Bama signee)

July looks like it's shaping up to be a big month in terms of getting bigtime prospects on campus. Lots of talent will be here.

#10 DT on ESPN:

Kirven can be an active and tough player in the trenches. He could rework his build some and still add some more good bulk with time in a college weight program, but overall has good size for the position. He gets in attacking stance and can be an explosive kid, but he does need to work to be more consistent in his get-off. He displays the ability to fire out low and play with leverage. He is able to quickly get under blockers pads and generate good power from his lower body and hold his ground and be stout at the point of attack. He brings his hands and flashes the ability to be active with them, but needs to do a better job of shooting them and creating separation. He plays with good pad level and shows good power in his lower body, but looks to need to improve upper body strength and use his hands better. He moves well and displays the ability to come across the line and stay square and work laterally in a short area as well as be able to get flat and work down the line and can be very active between the tackles. He is a solid tackler and displays a good motor. As a pass rusher he can create pressure with a good get-off. He needs to keep developing the use of his weapons, but will try and attack half-a-man. Kirven has some mainly correctable aspects of his game he needs to work on, but displays the needed tools to be a tough and productive defensive tackle at the college level.

KK was high on Tennessee before he got an offer...I think we are in good shape for him and many others...I'd like Valentine, Day, Shanks and KK and we would solve our DT issues.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Korren Kirven- Kirven was tough to stop on day one. He continuously beat his man up the middle in his reps. On day two he was not as dominant and seemed to take a back seat to Sheldon Day in terms of performance. Make no mistake about it, Kirven moves well for his size and will be a big impact at the next level.

- JHop from 247 review from The Opening

One would hope that Kirven would not like that VT already has two DTs committed, and their depth chart doesn't have a senior DT on it.

Perfect DE for a 3-4. Could grow into a DT in a 4-3 but if we are truly going to a 3-4, this is the guy for the outside.

Perfect DE for a 3-4. Could grow into a DT in a 4-3 but if we are truly going to a 3-4, this is the guy for the outside.

We are getting close to having the personnel especially if we land McCullers. O'Brien, Kirven, and Day are all 3-4 DEs IMO. Hood is a 3-4 NT, Couch can be a NT, but I think he will be suited best for DE. Corey Miller is a 3-4 DE, Marlon Walls is a 3-4 DE, Carson is a 3-4 NT, Saulsberry is a 3-4 DE, bigger LBs with Johnson and Harris, then you have Jac Smith, Williams, and Jordan Williams as perfect hybrid players. I think that recruiting has shown we are going to a 3-4. Not many 4-3 teams want LBs at around 250 (Dooley's preference).

Add Auburn to the list of suitors and among his favorites after his visit this past weekend.

Add Auburn to the list of suitors and among his favorites after his visit this past weekend.

This is the kind of recruiting battles that Dooley is losing one after the other. I see a lot of "we're in good shape with so and so if Bama or UGa don't offer"... No, let them offer and let Dooley show them that when Tennessee wants a certain player, we will win a lot more than we lose.

This is the kind of recruiting battles that Dooley is losing one after the other. I see a lot of "we're in good shape with so and so if Bama or UGa don't offer"... No, let them offer and let Dooley show them that when Tennessee wants a certain player, we will win a lot more than we lose.

This. Beating teams like Vanderbilt, Bowling Green, and USF for a player does not make a coach a good recruiter. Especially with the facilities that UT has. How we lost Kimbrow to Vanderbilt is beyond me. It is borderline ridiculous actually. I am tired of being at the mercy of UA, UGA, LSU, and UF for players that we really want. Until we can recruit with the big boys we will stay on the outside looking in competing for slots in the Music City Bowl.

"Auburn offered a couple of weeks ago. I loved that they offered, it was an offer that I wanted," said Kirven. "They definitely are going to make it into my top ten, along with Alabama, and the two Virginia schools."
- Rivals

lynchburg (va.) brookville defensive tackle korren kirven loved his recent visit to alabama and said the tide moved ahead of virginia tech with auburn at no. 3 right now. His dad favors alabama, mom favors virginia tech and korren is leaning toward alabama slightly over virginia tech right now but he is far from making a decision. He is hoping to narrow down his list to 10 schools in august
tos

This. Beating teams like Vanderbilt, Bowling Green, and USF for a player does not make a coach a good recruiter. Especially with the facilities that UT has. How we lost Kimbrow to Vanderbilt is beyond me. It is borderline ridiculous actually. I am tired of being at the mercy of UA, UGA, LSU, and UF for players that we really want. Until we can recruit with the big boys we will stay on the outside looking in competing for slots in the Music City Bowl.

Same song different verse it just never ends with some of you. CDD lost Kimbrow to Vanderbilt because he didn't like his attitude and quit recruiting him. Over the last two years we have signed 18-20 kids that could have gone most anywhere they wanted to including Ala, UGA, UF and LSU. I think that's surprisingly good for a school with a new unproven HC, a 500 record and the NCAA up it's butt. It's going to take winning to make our recruiting better but it not like we have lost every recruiting battle like some want to believe.

Same song different verse it just never ends with some of you. CDD lost Kimbrow to Vanderbilt because he didn't like his attitude and quit recruiting him. Over the last two years we have signed 18-20 kids that could have gone most anywhere they wanted to including Ala, UGA, UF and LSU. I think that's surprisingly good for a school with a new unproven HC, a 500 record and the NCAA up it's butt. It's going to take winning to make our recruiting better but it not like we have lost every recruiting battle like some want to believe.

THIS! But the second verse is the same as the 1st!
Let's look a little closer at the most recent classes offer list shall we? Of course, I can hear it now, "none of those offers were commitable.":crazy:
Arnett: Al, Okl, USC, MI, Neb, et al
Clear: Al, Aub, ND, et al
M. Jackson: Fl, FSU, Miami, USC E, et al
Couch: UGA, USC E, et al
Dallas: Aub, Fl, Okl, UNC, et al
AJ Johnson: Al, Aub, Fl, Usc, et al
Lane: Al, Aub, Usc
Lanier: Ark, Fl, Ole Miss
Maggitt: Ala, Aub, Fl, Fsu, uga, lsu, everyone else
P Martin: Okl, ucla, arky, lsu
B Moore: Mia, lsu, ucla, ohio st
Posey: clemson, lsu, usc e
Randolph: uga, usce, vtech
A Richardson: ala, aub, uga, lsu, everybody else
J. Williams: Arky, Oregon
Worley: fl, fsu, lsu, stanf.

There are more examples, but I think I made my point. Such posts are simply unimformed.

Let's look a little closer at the most recent classes offer list shall we? Of course, I can hear it now, "none of those offers were commitable.":crazy:

There are more examples, but I think I made my point. Such posts are simply unimformed.

But Dooley can't recruit :crazy:

Most informative post I have seen in awhile. Thank you.

Most informative post I have seen in awhile. Thank you.

I like where the poster's head is at and I know what point he is trying to get across, but the offer lists he put down for most of our recruits last year is completely off. Very much inflated. He basically added at least 2 elite SEC schools to each prospect's offer list. Not currently looking at the list, but I know Worley didn't have half of the offers that were listed and there were many others.

Last edited:

Solid post even Kerbyson had a nice offer list including Fla, FSU and USC (the real one)

2010- J.Stone, J. Hunter, D Rogers, C.Miller, J. James, M. Milton, J. Smith, R Neal, Z. Fulton and although it didn't work out T. Meline. Hard to include a kicker but Palardy could have went anywhere except Auburn.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back