'12 GA WR Keithon Redding

Probably should have worded that a bit differently. I thought he hadn't taken the ACT yet.

Got you. We did have another commitment that just took it for the first time. Terrible guidance from the family/coaches/hs guidance counselor!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Got you. We did have another commitment that just took it for the first time. Terrible guidance from the family/coaches/hs guidance counselor!

I teach high school. College admission test deadlines are posted everywhere and each student has at least one advisement appointment every year with his/ her counselor. If a senior is planning on going to college, it is inexcusable and irresponsible if that test hasn't been taken by December, at the very latest. That speaks volumes to me.

I teach high school. College admission test deadlines are posted everywhere and each student has at least one advisement appointment every year with his/ her counselor. If a senior is planning on going to college, it is inexcusable and irresponsible if that test hasn't been taken by December, at the very latest. That speaks volumes to me.

Is Tennessee the only state that all the kids take the test in their JR year? IMO all states should require that if they don't.

It is my understanding that Redding decommitted "by mutual agreement", but in truth we suggested that he explore other options. This, I think, was partly due to being recruited over, but it also has been reported by reliable sources that it was also partly due to academic concerns. Supposedly he was somewhat borderline already but then he recently came in with a poor first semester and the staff felt he would not qualify.

I am not in a position to independently verify all of this, but that is what I am hearing and read, so TIFWIW.

The AJC ran an article today highlighting the fact that we have already asked 3 Georgia players (Cross, Henderson, and Redding) to "look around" stressing that one of them, Cross, was our first recruit this year. The article painted us in a very bad light and I am sure this will be used against us in recruiting in the future.

I have often said here that the practice of recruiting over folks (and/or grayshirting) was wrong unless it was explicitly explained to the recruit before he signed with us and predicted that it would come back to haunt us in recruiting. I have no idea what these kids have been told before signing, but if the possibility of being recruited over was not fully explained to them, we deserve whatever harm it brings our program. That is doubly true when it happens this close to NSD.

mlsoft

It is my understanding that Redding decommitted "by mutual agreement", but in truth we suggested that he explore other options. This, I think, was partly due to being recruited over, but it also has been reported by reliable sources that it was also partly due to academic concerns. Supposedly he was somewhat borderline already but then he recently came in with a poor first semester and the staff felt he would not qualify.

I am not in a position to independently verify all of this, but that is what I am hearing and read, so TIFWIW.

The AJC ran an article today highlighting the fact that we have already asked 3 Georgia players (Cross, Henderson, and Redding) to "look around" stressing that one of them, Cross, was our first recruit this year. The article painted us in a very bad light and I am sure this will be used against us in recruiting in the future.

I have often said here that the practice of recruiting over folks (and/or grayshirting) was wrong unless it was explicitly explained to the recruit before he signed with us and predicted that it would come back to haunt us in recruiting. I have no idea what these kids have been told before signing, but if the possibility of being recruited over was not fully explained to them, we deserve whatever harm it brings our program. That is doubly true when it happens this close to NSD.

mlsoft
Well, that's the price we pay for offering 2 and 3 star players early if you aren't convinced that they can help you.
I think you have to get those guys into camp, so you can have a full evaluation, and if they don't sell you on their abilities there, then you should hold off taking their commitments.

Nothing wrong with dropping a guy for academic reasons, but taking commitments and then trying to recruit over them is a lousy practice.

Is Tennessee the only state that all the kids take the test in their JR year? IMO all states should require that if they don't.

We adamantly encourage taking it in the Jr year and then retaking it in the fall of the Sr year if the first one didn't go well. But, anyone that waits to take it the first time in December of the Sr year is shooting himself in the foot

I have no idea what these kids have been told before signing, but if the possibility of being recruited over was not fully explained to them, we deserve whatever harm it brings our program. That is doubly true when it happens this close to NSD.

mlsoft

It's clear that it wasn't.

It's also clear that Dooley can't even take the time to tell these kids himself...

“My relationship was with Coach Baggett, and I never really heard from Tennessee after he left,” Redding told the AJC. “I did talk one time to another assistant coach [Darin Hinshaw]. He said they needed some wide receivers from junior college to come in and make an impact. I just didn’t have a good feeling about the situation anymore. I talked with my family and my coaches, and their advice was to go somewhere where I could play, and where I wouldn’t have to redshirt or grayshirt.” Added Columbia coach Mario Allen, “Coach Baggett did a real good job of recruiting Keithon, and he was one of the main reasons that Keithon fell in love with Tennessee. Coach Baggett had a father-figure role and was good influence on Keithon. They had a great relationship. When Coach Baggett left, I think it took Tennessee a while to let Keithon know exactly what was going on, so he decided to open things back up.” Redding said he has an official visit scheduled for Ole Miss on Jan. 20, and is also working on setting up trips to Mississippi State and Kentucky.

It's interesting because Dooley said in his pep rally today that communication was the most important thing in these situations, yet that is clearly a lie.

We adamantly encourage taking it in the Jr year and then retaking it in the fall of the Sr year if the first one didn't go well. But, anyone that waits to take it the first time in December of the Sr year is shooting himself in the foot

As a high school junior, I took the ACT 2 times. As a senior, I have taken it 3 times. I don't see the problem getting them to take it once. It's not THAT bad.

It's also clear that Dooley can't even take the time to tell these kids himself...

It's interesting because Dooley said in his pep rally today that communication was the most important thing in these situations, yet that is clearly a lie.

He didn't call him because he no longer wants him due to either grade issues and/or talent. If your wife stops communicating with you its very possible because she is going to leave your sorry a$$. It should tell you something.

Everyone does it bro not just UT.Saban has and does do it. It happens

Do you teach in tenn? I thought all tenn students took the ACT at their schools in the spring of their junior year.

He didn't call him because he no longer wants him due to either grade issues and/or talent. If your wife stops communicating with you its very possible because she is going to leave your sorry a$$. It should tell you something.

So our head coach, who has been stringing this guy along up until the month before signing day doesn't have the ******n decency to personally call him and give him a straight answer? This is the same coach that just today emphasized how important communication is in these situations.

So our head coach, who has been stringing this guy along up until the month before signing day doesn't have the ******n decency to personally call him and give him a straight answer? This is the same coach that just today emphasized how important communication is in these situations.

You would have been a perfect resident for Salem, Massachussets in the late 1600s.

Funny. Everyone dogging D. Jacobs for lying to our coaches, in the next sentence defend our coach for not having the balls to call a recruit and tell him what's up. Good God.

Reactions: 1 person
You would have been a perfect resident for Salem, Massachussets in the late 1600s.

JA, no need to quote that moron. He thinks he knows what went on with CDD and Redding, he has no clue. And just wants to find ANY reason he possibly can to btch and whine and complain about UT's coach. He's a worthless poster and everyone just needs to put him on ignore so we don't have to read anything he posts. :hi:

Reactions: 4 people

I would agree telling the kid instead of "slow playing" him would have been better but this kid didn't take care of his classroom issue so that forfeits a lot of his sympathy.

As a high school junior, I took the ACT 2 times. As a senior, I have taken it 3 times. I don't see the problem getting them to take it once. It's not THAT bad.

^
This. If more kids had this attitude and showed this initiative and work ethic, you would get the best from them on the field. Wish we could package this up and sell it

^
This. If more kids had this attitude and showed this initiative and work ethic, you would get the best from them on the field. Wish we could package this up and sell it

I just wish I could could get into these recruits heads. I understand that they put more emphasis on sports than I do and all, but you have to focus on education at some point to continue into college. They are the same age as me, and I still look up to them. I want to see any student athlete that comes to UT to succeed on and off the field. Wish I was allowed to help them out, as I think a "passing" ACT score is like 18 with a 2.0 GPA? Surely I can donate off my 3.97 and 28?

The quote you have been throwing around is from when Baggett was leaving. He was saying he hadnt heard from coaches about it.

If you actually believe that Dooley hadn't talked to him about parting ways, long before it actually happened, then you have bigger issues going on in your head than I can fix.

This kid knew he had grade issues and I would bet he knew he was on a short rope as a recruit.

Oh boy
aefc9d5a-7be8-a6e6.jpg

VN Store

Back