'12 GA CB Geno Smith

Reid is a good ballplayer but certainly not that good as a cover CB. It does not have anything to do if "spurned UGA" or not. I have my thoughts (academics and HS coach) on his recruitment but this isn't about Reid, its about Geno. The Reid to Geno comparison is not a good one IMO. Geno should turn out to be a better cover CB.

Reid is a good ballplayer but certainly not that good as a cover CB. It does not have anything to do if "spurned UGA" or not. I have my thoughts (academics and HS coach) on his recruitment but this isn't about Reid, its about Geno. The Reid to Geno comparison is not a good one IMO. Geno should turn out to be a better cover CB.

I didn't mean to come on here like some Greg Reid fanatic, but I don't think he's terrible like some seem to believe. I was just making a casual comparison and people freaked out.

I didn't mean to come on here like some Greg Reid fanatic, but I don't think he's terrible like some seem to believe. I was just making a casual comparison and people freaked out.

I was starting to think you may be a closet Nole fan or something.:):):)

Reid is good, can't really argue. I just think most of his popularity comes from being a great return guy. In all seriousness, he's an average corner at best. Any honest FSU fan will tell you that, not just me as a UGA fan.

I was starting to think you may be a closet Nole fan or something.:):):)

Reid is good, can't really argue. I just think most of his popularity comes from being a great return guy. In all seriousness, he's an average corner at best. Any honest FSU fan will tell you that, not just me as a UGA fan.

I promise you that's not the case.

Geno smith fb post... "and every Saturday you tap that sign" or something like that but he was referring to NCAA 11 and when they say that they show Tennessee tapping the sign first iirc.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

When Reid wants to play he's def a top corner. He was shut down in the USC game.

Everybody here does realize that when they are talking about all the talented freshmen playing at UT this year means by the time a 2012 recruit gets to campus, he will be looking at entrenched junior starters, right? Just saying.

Everybody here does realize that when they are talking about all the talented freshmen playing at UT this year means by the time a 2012 recruit gets to campus, he will be looking at entrenched junior starters, right? Just saying.

I understand that. I think what the other posters were saying is that Geno Smith and other rising SR. recruits like to see that schools such as UT give true freshmen the opportunity to play. It is very appealing and pleasing to the recruits to see Bray, Hunter, Rogers, James, Stone, Smith, Miller, Brewer, etc. to get tons of PT and some even become starters. It lets the recruits such as Geno know that UT's staff is going to play the most talented player regardless of class and is open to playing/starting true freshmen even at the most pivotal positions (Bray at QB).

Not saying this is something special at UT. Most all programs in the country are going to play the freshmen if they are the most talented, but what I'm saying is UT gives a much better opportunity than most other schools at offering early PT. With all the coaching changes over the last few years we have experienced tons of attrition. We have little depth at key positions and Elite recruits have a great chance to come right in and be in the 2-deep with the chance to start. I think some recruits are starting to notice that.

To add to that we don't have CBs that will keep this guy on the bench. He'll be a monster when he adds more weight.

~No Chaser~

When Reid wants to play he's def a top corner. He was shut down in the USC game.

Reid had a huge game that night. I don't know if you know this but that game was the first college game that Reid's father had attended. His father had been in jail since his 9th or 10th grade in high school. So its fair to say that Reid was playing with a little extra juice that night.

Reid is a great story, the kid had it rough growing up but is certainly creating a bright future for himself.

Reid had a huge game that night. I don't know if you know this but that game was the first college game that Reid's father had attended. His father had been in jail since his 9th or 10th grade in high school. So its fair to say that Reid was playing with a little extra juice that night.

Reid is a great story, the kid had it rough growing up but is certainly creating a bright
future for himself.

Yeah that's how I knew he wanted to play. When he does he's a completely different player.

Reid is a great story, the kid had it rough growing up but is certainly creating a bright future for himself.

Great story on Reid. I didn't know that. Didn't Mark Ingram's dad get out of prison at some point during Ingram's Heisman Trophy season to watch him play? I could be wrong. Maybe he just got to come no watch him in the National Title game. I can't remember.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound like I was freaking out about it. He is very talented and I think he will become a decent CB. He is a solid defender outside of his coverage; great tackler, hard hitter, etc. I just think he gets a lot more love than he is entitled to at this point in his career, probably due to the return skills. It reminds me of Tebow after '06, when all he had proven was that he could play fullback and throw an akward jumping pass thingie. My tune on Reid would probably be little different if his HS coach hadn't steered him to FSU for his yearly bonus, but I would still not consider him a great cover CB. I probably wouldn't be as harsh in my criticism, but you guys could likely say the same about Marlon Brown if he was sucking it up at UT instead of UGA.:)

I am done with GR in this thread now, though. Will argue about him plenty in his thread. :p

I compared Geno and PP/Prince because I think they play similar, though I do also think they are both very good.

To add to that we don't have CBs that will keep this guy on the bench. He'll be a monster when he adds more weight.

~No Chaser~

I was just about to say this. Neither team in this discussion has the type of depth in the secondary to have any real impact on Geno's decision. He won't be scared off by any DBs on either of our teams, he is a supremely talented corner.

I was just about to say this. Neither team in this discussion has the type of depth in the secondary to have any real impact on Geno's decision. He won't be scared off by any DBs on either of our teams, he is a supremely talented corner.

Your talent at CB is better than ours. Our current CBs are okay at best. We really need some of the recruits and Teague to play well.

~No Chaser~

Last edited:
“I like the coaches (at Tennessee),” he said. “I think coach Derek Dooley is doing great and is on the right track to have Tennessee be what they used to be.”

Smith says he likes his chances of playing early for the Vols. “I see it as a great opportunity to come in and make a difference on that team,” he said. “I like that they have great historic tradition.”

Plans to attend junior day on the 26th.

Scout.com: Smith?s Big Horizons

We really need a corner to shut down the A.J. Green's of the SEC, and Geno would do very well.

We really need a corner to shut down the A.J. Green's of the SEC, and Geno would do very well.

It's going to feel good to hear other fans talk about Hunter and Rogers the same way we talk about Jeffrey, Green, and Julio being a problem for us.

And we need Geno

~No Chaser

It's going to feel good to hear other fans talk about Hunter and Rogers the same way we talk about Jeffrey, Green, and Julio being a problem for us.

And we need Geno

~No Chaser

No doubt... would be happy keeping one of them for their senior years. I do not think we will have problems with our WRs while CCB is here though.

VN Store

Back