'12 GA CB Geno Smith

It would not surprise me if Geno did not end up at UGA. The kid will be able to name his school when its all said and done. He will also IMO want to go somewhere where he can play from day 1. UGA will have plenty of depth next year at CB and some of the freshmen CB's coming in this year will be really good. Give me Deion Bonner (possible silent already) and I'm more than happy, Geno would be a plus at that point.

What do you think our chaces are with Smith?

What do you think our chaces are with Smith?

I'll be honest and please no trash talk if you don't like my opinion.

It would not surprise me if Geno turned into Gabe Wright 2.0. Geno has made some positive comments about UT and it has alot of UT people hyped up already but he's spoken highly about everybody who has offered him so far. The scouting services only report what he says about the regional schools but he's actually spoken highly of everybody, Oklahoma and ND for example.

Geno is starting to build up the suspense now. Don't put a whole lot of stock into what Geno says right now. One thing I'm sure of, Geno will have alot of fun with his recruitment. I said it before, settle down because this will be a long ride.

I'll be honest and please no trash talk if you don't like my opinion.

It would not surprise me if Geno turned into Gabe Wright 2.0. Geno has made some positive comments about UT and it has alot of UT people hyped up already but he's spoken highly about everybody who has offered him so far. The scouting services only report what he says about the regional schools but he's actually spoken highly of everybody, Oklahoma and ND for example.

Geno is starting to build up the suspense now. Don't put a whole lot of stock into what Geno says right now. One thing I'm sure of, Geno will have alot of fun with his recruitment. I said it before, settle down because this will be a long ride.

No trash talk necessary...I respect your opinion...that's why I asked...

So take what he says with a grain of salt is what you're saying...great...I love these kind of recruits :banghead2:

No trash talk necessary...I respect your opinion...that's why I asked...

So take what he says with a grain of salt is what you're saying...great...I love these kind of recruits :banghead2:

Its still wide open though, everybody still has a good chance IMHO. Dooley and staff have to get him to campus and sell the he!! out of it. Make no mistake about it, they'll have plenty of competition.

Yes, don't read much into his comments, it really means nothing to be honest. He's a real good kid who happens to be a great ballplayer.

It would not surprise me if Geno did not end up at UGA. The kid will be able to name his school when its all said and done. He will also IMO want to go somewhere where he can play from day 1. UGA will have plenty of depth next year at CB and some of the freshmen CB's coming in this year will be really good. Give me Deion Bonner (possible silent already) and I'm more than happy, Geno would be a plus at that point.

I think we have a better shot than you seem to. Bonner is a Dawg for sure, but we need another top CB and will be putting the full court on Smith. It is much too early to be saying for sure where he goes, but I would not be surprised by him being in Athens at all.

BTW, what depth? After next year our depth at CB will consist of maybe B. Smith and Commings, Owens and Love. Add Swann, Bowman will make for solid depth and Marshall will be solid, but that is hardly a daunting depth chart for a player like Smith, even including Bonner. Swann and maybe Marshall are the only guys listed that are in Geno's league as a CB, talent-wise.

Where do you think he does end up though?

Its still wide open though, everybody still has a good chance IMHO. Dooley and staff have to get him to campus and sell the he!! out of it. Make no mistake about it, they'll have plenty of competition.

Yes, don't read much into his comments, it really means nothing to be honest. He's a real good kid who happens to be a great ballplayer.

I agree with this, he is definitely going to play the game. Definitely one you will have to read between the lines of everything he says and it still might be misleading then. :blink:

Sorry if already discussed, but I heard today that Smith has some sort of connection with Eric Berry and his family and kicks it with him. Does anyone know about this?

I think we have a better shot than you seem to. Bonner is a Dawg for sure, but we need another top CB and will be putting the full court on Smith. It is much too early to be saying for sure where he goes, but I would not be surprised by him being in Athens at all.

BTW, what depth? After next year our depth at CB will consist of maybe B. Smith and Commings, Owens and Love. Add Swann, Bowman will make for solid depth and Marshall will be solid, but that is hardly a daunting depth chart for a player like Smith, even including Bonner. Swann and maybe Marshall are the only guys listed that are in Geno's league as a CB, talent-wise.

Where do you think he does end up though?

There is a good chance he ends up at UGA, he did grow up a UGA fan and considers us his dream school. He said it himself but I don't know for sure what to make of it.

The depth I was talking about was taking into account the guys that will come back and also the freshmen coming in this year. Branden Smith will still be a starter, Commings and Love are just waiting to bust out, jury is still out on Owens, Swann is a future star, Marshall was by far the most underrated recruit this year, and Bowman will surprise alot of people. Bonner is a lock right now and I'm sure we'll pick up at least one more CB. It could be Smith but I think we're fine at CB for years to come even if Smith does not come to Athens. I have to give our staff some credit on that.

I've heard Geno likes AU, UGA, and UT. Some say Auburn is the team to beat and others say UGA will be the team to beat. This one will go down to the wire, way too early to predict.

He'll be here for junior day. Then he'll see us punish Georgia this season. That'll take care of them. Then he'll watch Auburn not go to a bowl game(Mark my Words). All Vol in the end. Man if it was that easy. Hahahaha

~No Chaser~
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Some quotes about UT and UGA from Geno:

Tennessee: “I plan on attending Tennessee’s junior day on the 26th. I like their coaching staff. They are young on the field. I like their quarterback [Tyler] Bray. I see a good opportunity to come in and play early as a freshman or sophomore. ”

Georgia: “It is my dream school. Even though Georgia may be my dream school, it might not be the right fit for me. I am not saying it is not. I just want to make the best decision for me. I like that they are the home school. I have a good relationship with their coaching staff. I camped over there twice.”

Geno Smith is living the dream | TheRinger.com

Some quotes about UT and UGA from Geno:

Geno Smith is living the dream | TheRinger.com

Just how I like it. Go get him Dooley. And Bray and the high flying offense is having the appeal I thought it would on the young recruits. Tennessee looks like the place to be with Bray, Rogers, and Hunter starring in the bowl game as freshmen. Then you had Jac. Smith and the freshMAN Brent Brewer laying some big hits out there on D.

~No Chaser~

Just how I like it. Go get him Dooley. And Bray and the high flying offense is having the appeal I thought it would on the young recruits. Tennessee looks like the place to be with Bray, Rogers, and Hunter starring in the bowl game as freshmen. Then you had Jac. Smith and the freshMAN Brent Brewer laying some big hits out there on D.

~No Chaser~

I don't think that Bray and the offense will have any impact on Geno's decision. I'm pretty sure he wants to be strictly at CB at the next level.

I know he likes UGA alot and is already starting to sound like Ray Drew to me. The school that is not talked about the most is usually the one they're going to pick. The kid grew up a big UGA fan and considers us his "dream school." We'll see how it works out, it could be the deciding factor but another school can knock him off his feet on a visit.

I'm telling you, this kid is solid on and off the field.

I don't think that Bray and the offense will have any impact on Geno's decision. I'm pretty sure he wants to be strictly at CB at the next level.

I know he likes UGA alot and is already starting to sound like Ray Drew to me. The school that is not talked about the most is usually the one they're going to pick. The kid grew up a big UGA fan and considers us his "dream school." We'll see how it works out, it could be the deciding factor but another school can knock him off his feet on a visit.

The offense just gets the young kids attention. High flying offense =fun to a recruit. If you look at Tennessee all you say is "the offense looking right I can help out that defense" believe me the bowl game changed a lot of minds. Pretty sure even you were excited watching Bray go down field with the ball. Then we were playing a lot of freshmen which let's Smith know we are going to play the best players.

~No Chaser~

Last edited:
The offense just gets the young kids attention. High flying offense =fun to a recruit. If you look at Tennessee all you say is "the offense looking right I can help out that defense" believe me the bowl game changed a lot of minds. Pretty sure even you were excited watching Bray go down field with the ball. Then we were playing a lot of freshmen which let's Smith know we are going to play the best players.

~No Chaser~

Bray has the big time arm to get it done, no doubt. Hunter is the truth and you haven't scratched the surface when it come to Da'Rick. Plenty of yount talent on the O-line as well. No doubt that the future looks bright for UT. That kind of experience will be HUGE for you guys come the '12 season, I still think '11 will have a learning curve to a certain extent.

I still fail to see that kind connection to Geno though. Geno will be on Defense and I think there's other important things he'll look at. The coaches, playing time, and defensive scheme will be the difference for Geno.

No, not at all. Reid is a horrible defender that is starting to improve, but a great PR. Smith is a true lockdown corner, he is also a good bit bigger and faster than the petite Reid.

Much more like Peterson or Prince.
And Reid sure as hell doesn't belong on ANY Top 5 CB list. He is improving, but still a not a very good corner. Where did that list come from, btw?

Anyway, Geno will probably be the #1 CB in the country next year. It is going to be a fun battle to watch, I am guessing NSD, but has he said when he plans to announce?

It will be nice seeing him don the Red and Black next February. :D

Patrick Peterson weighs 220 pounds. So no, Smith is nothing like him. The only possible comparison you could be making is that you think they're both good players. And for everyone saying Reid is not a good defender, ask Marcus Lattimore and South Carolina about him.

Patrick Peterson weighs 220 pounds. So no, Smith is nothing like him. The only possible comparison you could be making is that you think they're both good players. And for everyone saying Reid is not a good defender, ask Marcus Lattimore and South Carolina about him.

Geno is more like a Champ Bailey to me.

Reid is a good football player. A little overrated as a cover-CB IMO. That was a collision, they happen all the time. Reid is a very physical corner, no doubt about that.

Geno is more like a Champ Bailey to me.

Reid is a good football player. A little overrated as a cover-CB IMO. That was a collision, they happen all the time. Reid is a very physical corner, no doubt about that.

Marcus Lattimore gets knocked out by a guy 40 lbs lighter than him all the time?

I get what people are saying, that Reid isn't a great cover corner and Smith looks like he can be. Well, Reid looked that too in HIGH SCHOOL. It's a fair comparison to this point.

Marcus Lattimore gets knocked out by a guy 40 lbs lighter than him all the time?

I get what people are saying, that Reid isn't a great cover corner and Smith looks like he can be. Well, Reid looked that too in HIGH SCHOOL. It's a fair comparison to this point.

I was watching the game and could not believe it when it happened. I went back and took a look at the tape. Marcus caught the ball took a couple of steps and was getting ready to make a move as Reid was getting close. For whatever reason, Marcus just froze, he seemed confused as to which direction to go. Reid is an excellent tackler and had a clean shot at Marcus. It seems that Marcus was caught off guard by the speed of Reid. Marcus stood straight up and Reid came flying in at full speed. I honestly think Marcus underestimated Reid and paid the price for it, kudos to Reid.

Bray has the big time arm to get it done, no doubt. Hunter is the truth and you haven't scratched the surface when it come to Da'Rick. Plenty of yount talent on the O-line as well. No doubt that the future looks bright for UT. That kind of experience will be HUGE for you guys come the '12 season, I still think '11 will have a learning curve to a certain extent.

I still fail to see that kind connection to Geno though. Geno will be on Defense and I think there's other important things he'll look at. The coaches, playing time, and defensive scheme will be the difference for Geno.

The connection I see is young players being allowed to play and play a lot. Plus you know we'll be on ESPN with these type of athletes. You can come be part of a special group of players. Or even be the Tyler Bray of our defense.

~No Chaser~

IMO, the fact that Smith weighs ~40 pounds less than PP means nothing in this comparison since both are shutdown cover corners will very similar games and that was my comparison. I wasn't talking about their size, although I expect that when Geno leaves for the draft, they will be within 20 pounds. Geno is 1" shorter, currently. Probably same height by the draft.

Prince is probably the best recent comparison. Coming out of HS, he was exactly the same size as Geno, Smith is still a little faster. Again, both shutdown cover corners, very similar games. I also like the Champ comparison, but don't remember what he looked like in HS.

One lucky big hit by Reid does not make him a great defender. He is an improving, but still a horrendous CB where covering any elite WR is concerned. I would love to see what you would say if UT played FSU and you could see Hunter/Reid, Justin would abuse Greg His name doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with Prince and Patrick, unless there is a "not even close" between them. And for the record Reid was a very good CB in HS, but even then he didn't cover like Smith. GR is the type of CB that you give a serious look at free safety because of his coverage skills at CB lack a little something. He is a great player, but not anywhere to a top 5 CB.

Anyway, back to Geno, I think there is another thread for the Reid argument, isn't there?

Last edited:
IMO, the fact that Smith weighs ~40 pounds less than PP means nothing in this comparison since both are shutdown cover corners will very similar games and that was my comparison. I wasn't talking about their size, although I expect that when Geno leaves for the draft, they will be within 20 pounds. Geno is 1" shorter, currently probably same height at the draft.

Prince is probably the best recent comparison. Coming out of HS, he was exactly the same size as Geno, Smith is still a little faster. Again, both shutdown cover corners, very similar games. I also like the Champ comparison, but don't remember what he looked like in HS.

One lucky big hit by Reid does not make him a great defender. He is an improving, but still a horrendous CB where covering any elite WR is concerned. I would love to see what you would say if UT played FSU and you could see Hunter/Reid, Justin would abuse Greg His name doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with Prince and Patrick, unless there is a "not even close" between them. And for the record Reid was a very good CB in HS, but even then he didn't cover like Smith. GR is the type of CB that you give a serious look at free safety because of his coverage skills at CB lack a little something. He is a great player, but not anywhere to a top 5 CB.

Anyway, back to Geno, I think there is another thread for the Reid argument, isn't there?

Geno plays a lot like Peterson did in High School. He'll be around 195-205 lbs when it's all said and done.

SN: check the Around the NCAA forum I started a top 10 DB thread.

~No Chaser~

I sure am glad he is coming to Tennessee.

IMO, the fact that Smith weighs ~40 pounds less than PP means nothing in this comparison since both are shutdown cover corners will very similar games and that was my comparison. I wasn't talking about their size, although I expect that when Geno leaves for the draft, they will be within 20 pounds. Geno is 1" shorter, currently probably same height at the draft.

So it's like I said, you're pretty much just comparing the two because you think they're both good.

And I would be interested to hear what you would have to say about Reid if he hadn't spurned UGA. By the way, I didn't mention Reid in the same sentence with Peterson and Amukamara.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back