'12 GA ATH Justin King (UT SIGNEE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#45 OLB on ESPN:

King doubles as a running quarterback as well as outside linebacker and it is clear he belongs on defense as he makes a lot of plays as an edge defender both as a tackler and pass rusher. He is big, rangy and athletic - looks the part and is versatile and instinctive. He has long, strong arms needed to stack the run and shed. Does not a ton of experience sifting through the wash playing at normal linebacker level (was employed on the line of scrimmage more often than not), but is a force on the perimeter with good first-step quickness, vertical closing speed and some explosiveness at the point of attack. Displays good bend off the edge and will hunt down ball carriers from the backside with his good speed, long wingspan and nice motor. Shows explosiveness and closing speed off the edge taking tight angles to the QB. Shows good range chasing sideline-to-sideline, takes proper pursuit angles and does not stop pursuing until the whistle blows. However, King tends to open his whole body to blockers and flashes difficulty shedding and escaping quickly when engaged. Pad level is a concern as well at times at the point of attack. Runs through ball carriers with nice power from his hips as a tackler. King shows adequate-to-good coverage range, but not a ton of drop and read diagnostics. You can see that he run and get to a spot, but appears much more comfortable as a vertical upfield player. With King you have a very talented, but at times raw prospect that possesses a lot of upside especially when devoted to playing on defense at the next level fulltime. He has BCS level ability with potential for BCS level productivity.

"I gave coach Sirmon a call and about ten minutes into the conversation, he was like, 'Justin, we like you a lot and we've been watching a lot of film and we want to offer you here at Tennessee,'" he added

"Me and coach Sirmon have really built this bond over the last couple of months. We've stayed in contact with each other. We've started to talk about the program and he seems like one of those great coaches and that's one thing I like about coach Sirmon," King said.

"I'm still evaluating everything and I haven't narrowed anything down, but when Tennessee came and offered that was big, that really set the standard high. Tennessee is a great place. Enough said when you say Tennessee football," King said.
- VQ

King has a brother that plays at Tennessee Tech, he also said education will be a huge part of his decision.

“I haven’t narrowed anything down but there are a couple schools that stand out to me with UT being one and UCF being another, Cincinnati and Virginia."

per tos

Article up on 247. Tag line said he will visit Tennessee and Georgia later this month, and he's hoping to decide on a college before the start of his senior season. Anything else in the article, for those with a subscription?

No Access

Kid is coming to Dawg Night and will show his skills in front of the coaches. The kid wants to compete and earn his offer, I love that kind of attitude.

What do you guys think of him?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't know a whole about the kid to be honest. His recruitment is just now starting to take off. I have seen very little film right now. The kid can and has played many positions. The kid is the definition of an athlete. I will be looking at more of his film and I really want to see what kind of performance he can put on Dawg Night against some really good competition.

What do you guys think of him?

I like his frame, 6-3 215 as a 17-18 year old. you figure he's got the 'chassy' to add 20 or 30 pounds and not lose a step. could be a beast of a FS, or if he keeps growing, a nice LB prospect. But then again, he's played offense too. like Insider said, the kid is a great athlete. Hope he shows out at Dawgnight.

Justin King has already committed to Dooley over the phone. This per his brother.

- From a poster on VQ. Not saying it is or isn't credible. I'm not sure but I thought I would share the info. If true it sounds like they want him to come to camp first before they accept it publicly.

could be real good. I guess the question on him is where does he play. he's 6-3 215, I can see him as a safety. good athlete, looks like he can handle any position.

could be real good. I guess the question on him is where does he play. he's 6-3 215, I can see him as a safety. good athlete, looks like he can handle any position.

If the commitment rumors are true and he ends up here then he'll gain 15lbs and be a LB or he'll be a SS in the same mold as our current SS Brent Brewer (who is 6'2" 210)

I guess all those rumors were true. Dooley just wanted to keep it quiet.

[sarcasm] But silent commitments aren't real... [/sarcasm]

would be nice to get him in here and add some weight and see what he can do at LB spot.

I'd be surprised if he is a take at this point. With low numbers and the need to upgrade the talent at Linebacker in a big way and them being in good shape (supposedly) with Marcus Allen, Tyrone Neal, Kaiwan Lewis I dont see why they would take him this early. They already took one early in Henderson that didn't have all that good of an offer list.

Last edited:
IMO we need at least 5 LBs in this class. With that I have no problem with 2 of them being projects only if the rest have a legitimate shot at offering immediate help. Henderson and King would obviously be projects so the rest must be real players (Allen, Lewis, Santos, Peters, etc...).

I'd be surprised if he is a take at this point. With low numbers and the need to upgrade the talent at Linebacker in a big way and them being in good shape (supposedly) with Marcus Allen, Tyrone Neal, Kaiwan Lewis I dont see they they would take him this early. They already took one early in Henderson that didn't have all that good of an offer list.

excellent point. Just in a bad spot with the NCAA for the kids that want to get the recruiting stuff out of the way before their senior seasons. I hate that the process takes as long as it does. It really handcuffs/penalizes/sucks to be us

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back