'10 CA QB Nick Montana

He's not at the top of our list and we won't start to recruit him hard before we got the final words from other guys we are pursuing.

If he decides to move on, we wish him the best (and tell Clausen to keep his good work ethic for sending kids to UT)

So instead of stating facts (Montana is not going to wait around) he should have spun it into a rah rah fluff piece? I am no Hooker fan, but I would like for someone to point out what he said in the article that was no negative.
First, UT is looking at a ton of qb's and Montana is maybe in the top half but definitely in the middle of the pack. He has been in an option scheme until this past season so he's fairly raw in the pro-style scheme. The staff probably hasn't even seen him throw in person. Recruiting is touch and go, and you can lose prospects just by offering a guy. Some would call it "all your eggs in one basket" but I call it taking your time to make the right decision. Haste can make things messy.

In regards to the article, Hooker stated the facts, but then gave inuendo's that the staff is asleep on Nick and are going to lose out. Thus, it makes the staff sound incompetent. He should have stated the facts and then mentioned that it was his opinion that the staff is incompetent for not jumping the gun and offering a kid that's a risk and might not pan out. Not to mention Hooker would be the first to write an article lambasting CLK if Nick didn't pan out and bring up the fact that had we not offered Montana we could have had Heaps who will no doubt be tearing up for whatever team he signs with.

EDIT: Sorry. I didn't realize how long this was until i already posted it.

Has anyone thought of the Manning comparison.That is to say the son of an NFL quarterback;versed in X's & O's from a early age waiting to explode on the collegiate scene.As I remember that did not turn out to badly.

:good!:

Just read the whole thread.Their were only three or four enlightened individuals.Ones who made the comparison.
Look at it this way,He can already through the ball better than Compton and is better at the fundamentals.(I hope the comparison changes soon;in regards to being coached upped)!But in anticipation of the future,There are worse ways to go!

Last edited:
Look at it this way,He can already through the ball better than Compton and is better at the fundamentals.

I know a guy in Charleston who swears his dead grandmother can "through" the ball better than Crompton.

To say Nick Montana can pass better than one Jonathan Crompton isn't saying a heck of a lot from what we've seen thus far.

From things I've read recently, I could really see Heaps making his decision by mid-April to early May. If Tennessee loses out, I think we'll quickly see who their #2 is.

I love the bravado. No question about it. Definitely sounds like the kid has a pair. Of course he has absolutely nothing at all to lose/gain.

sounds like Jimmy Clausen, hope Nick doesn't show up where ever he signs in a Limo like Nick did

The QB position is not all about ability....much of it is mental. Has anyone ever been cooler under pressure than Joe Montana? If this kid has his dads demeanor and drive, I dont care if he can throw it 70 yards. He will be successful and win.

If this staff signs this kid just because his dad is JM, I hope they all get fired ASAP! For every one former NFL greats son that makes it there are scores who are HUGE flops. Get the best kids and the press will come with the W's. If he is the best available then sign him. If not leave him alone.

The QB position is not all about ability....much of it is mental. Has anyone ever been cooler under pressure than Joe Montana? If this kid has his dads demeanor and drive, I dont care if he can throw it 70 yards. He will be successful and win.

heart and mental toughness is not genetic. joe montana was an undersized quarterback who had to fight for every inch he got. nick montana is the son of one of the greatest players to ever live and has been a millionare since the day he was born. that's not to say he won't be great, but we can't assume anything just because of who his dad is

First, UT is looking at a ton of qb's and Montana is maybe in the top half but definitely in the middle of the pack. He has been in an option scheme until this past season so he's fairly raw in the pro-style scheme. The staff probably hasn't even seen him throw in person. Recruiting is touch and go, and you can lose prospects just by offering a guy. Some would call it "all your eggs in one basket" but I call it taking your time to make the right decision. Haste can make things messy.

In regards to the article, Hooker stated the facts, but then gave inuendo's that the staff is asleep on Nick and are going to lose out. Thus, it makes the staff sound incompetent. He should have stated the facts and then mentioned that it was his opinion that the staff is incompetent for not jumping the gun and offering a kid that's a risk and might not pan out. Not to mention Hooker would be the first to write an article lambasting CLK if Nick didn't pan out and bring up the fact that had we not offered Montana we could have had Heaps who will no doubt be tearing up for whatever team he signs with.

EDIT: Sorry. I didn't realize how long this was until i already posted it.
I never said I think they should offer the kid, I just think you are reading a little bit too much into Hooker's article. What Inuendos are you reffering to? The way I see it, Montana made a statement and Hooker reported it, end of story....Your assertion that Hooker should have said he thinks the staff is incompetent (in this particular situation) is nonsense unless you can point to anything Hooker has written that indicates as much. Again, I am not a fan of Hooker or his writing "ability" but I think you are reaching on this one.

I think they should offer him and keeping going full throttle after Heaps and if at signing day Montana feels he won't play that much behind Heaps then god bless him and let him go elsewhere, the main objective here is to sign a QB who will be able to lead us in the future...Heaps is the target but if he doesn't work out then it would be nice to have a backup plan...Obviously Montana likes UT a LOT or He wouldn't have said He wasn't going to wait on them.

Heaps shouldn't be an obstacle to signing Montana or anyone else. If signed, Heaps would play one year (or probably redshirt), go on his Morman mission trip for two years, then return. By then, Montana would be a senior and Heaps a redshirt freshman. Sounds like a perfect situation to me.

If Coach Bebe O and CLK want him they will get him, Tressel has Pryor that was supposed to be his savior, looks like Pryor isnt that good huh.

Heaps shouldn't be an obstacle to signing Montana or anyone else. If signed, Heaps would play one year (or probably redshirt), go on his Morman mission trip for two years, then return. By then, Montana would be a senior and Heaps a redshirt freshman. Sounds like a perfect situation to me.

Heaps is likely not going on a mission.

VN Store

Back