🏈SUPER BOWL LVIII: 49ers 22 Chiefs 25 (FINAL)

Will there often be a 3rd possession, though? That's a lot to assume. I would rather know what I needed on that first series.
The team going first almost certainly won't go for two after a touchdown. If you have the ball 2nd and have to answer a touchdown you can elect to go for two and avoid sudden death. By taking it 2nd you get to decide if there will be a sudden death or not. I say defer.

1 amazing Super Bowl in Las Vegas.

The second half was very entertaining, and it was a thrilling overtime.

While Purdy had a great performance including the 49ers did succeed making a field goal in overtime.
A glaring flaw is the 49ers defense wasn’t able to get critical stops in the 4th Quarter and overtime.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Is it still the rule that if team A takes the ball first in OT and scores a TD then the game is over? Only a FG extends the game if that first team scores, right? Or has that changed?
That's changed.

A TD on the 1st offensive series of OT no longer ends the game, as it did when the Patriots beat the Falcons in OT in Super Bowl 51, back in February of 2017. That was the game that the Falcons (with OC Kyle Shanahan), blew a 28-3 3rd quarter lead. Both teams are guaranteed a possession, even when the team that gets the ball first scores a TD. That was to reduce the importance of the coin toss.

Reactions: hUTch2002
I'd like to get to meet whichever corporate decision-maker thought a Super Bowl football game was too "meh" of an event, and it would be significantly improved by adding layers of Nickelodeon Sponge Bob absurdity.

Seriously, WHO pulled that idea out of their ...
Heck, I thought it was funny and watched the first few possessions on Nick.

Didn't have a dog in that hunt last night but....

1. Epic collapse of a D in two straight drives.
2. Congrats to Jennings for being a part of both of the Niner's TD's. Great game for him.
3. Congrats to Hardmon for the game winning catch. He went to HS a few miles down the road from my old home. Kid came from nowhere USA and made a career for himself.

Reactions: Plecoptera
The fact SF could not block Chris Jones blitz killed 3/4 TD opportunities.
He was a beast.
I believe SF overall was the best team...But Mahomes is the best QB in the league no question about it.
The 57 yard field goal was huge as well.

Reactions: Plecoptera and MAD
The fact SF could not block Chris Jones blitz killed 3/4 TD opportunities.
He was a beast.
I believe SF overall was the best team...But Mahomes is the best QB in the league no question about it.
The 57 yard field goal was huge as well.

IDK, it's pretty close. IMO:

QB = Chiefs
RB's = 49ers
WR/TE = 49ers
OL = Chiefs
DB's = Chiefs
LB's = 49ers
DL = push
ST = Chiefs

49ers have a lot of huge names on their D line, but honestly they've been kinda disappointing the last half of the season. Was expecting to see them wreck teams, but they're not really any better at that than Chiefs with their 1-man wrecking crew.

Reactions: MAD
McShay said Mahomes is 5-1 when down double digits in the playoffs. The rest of the NFL is 6-42 during that same stretch.

The Super Bowl this year drew in 123.4 million viewers this year, making it the most viewed programs since the moon landing. (The last time the 2 played in a Super Bowl in February 2020, the game had 102.1 million viewers.)

For further reference, last year’s Super Bowl - which also featured the same Chiefs team playing an even larger media/metro market team in Philadelphia - only saw 115.1 million viewers, a number only slightly up from the prior years’ 112.3 million viewers (LA Rams vs Bengals).

The Super Bowl this year drew in 123.4 million viewers this year, making it the most viewed programs since the moon landing. (The last time the 2 played in a Super Bowl in February 2020, the game had 102.1 million viewers.)

For further reference, last year’s Super Bowl - which also featured the same Chiefs team playing an even larger media/metro market team in Philadelphia - only saw 115.1 million viewers, a number only slightly up from the prior years’ 112.3 million viewers (LA Rams vs Bengals).
......."but but nobody wants to see these teams in the Super Bowl!"

......."but but nobody wants to see these teams in the Super Bowl!"
…I’m not sure the franchises were the main driving force behind that massive 8 million viewership jump this year. If that were the case, Super Bowl 54 would have probably been much higher than that 102M mark.

Go woke, go broke......

What I don't understand is who is not watching the SB? People who have to work, so maybe that accounts for 50m? WTF are the other 175m Americans doing? Who doesn't watch the SB? It's not about football. It's a national holiday and cultural experience.

…I’m not sure the franchises were the main driving force behind that massive 8 million viewership jump this year. If that were the case, Super Bowl 54 would have probably been much higher than that 102M mark.

Mahomes is a much bigger star now than he was then. I mean, people didn't even know who Brittany Mahomes was at SB 54 and now she's been all over the internet for a few years. Kelce is a much bigger star. 49ers have more star power now with McCaffrey (vs. Mostert).

VN Store

Back