Terrible Awful Horrible Coaching

IndyVOL26

even Kirk Herbstreet was beside himself almost laughing when he realized Butch Jones had thrown the challenge flag on the onside kick essentially ending the game without even giving ur defense a shot to get a stop.... Even before this debacle the Vols have the ball on the one and you must assume that they have a played called just incase they get stopped at the goal line ( most likely a fade or some quick throw).. The vols get lined up and butch inexplicably calls at time out ??? and for what ?? they come right back and throw the fade... for what possible reason did a time out need to be burned in that situation??? Again pointed out by Herby and company... I could understand if its 4th down and you want to make sure everyone is on the same page.. these basic clock management issues r inexcusable and i wont even get into the PURE Vanilla play calling by the OC.. it makes it so easy to stop an offense when u only have to worry about the ball going 6-10 yards down the field... you have to take shots you have to make them respect the threat that you will take a shot.... Its hard enough to win games in the SEC playing frosh and sophomores
but when you add in terrible coaching its damn near impossible

Reactions: 32 people
The game was lost before that. We don't have bodies on the line of scrimmage to compete with the seniors and red shirt seniors on an established program like Missouri yet. We're an average offensive line away from possibly being 9-3.

How are we going to take shots when our offensive line is collapsing every play?

Reactions: 46 people
The vanilla play calling is a direct result of the piss poor offensive line play and its effect on the QB and RB play.

Jones has got to get some SEC quality guys in here. Hell I'd settle for some ACC quality at this point.

Reactions: 25 people
My god I truly wish fans like you would just go away. These kids played their ass off and got beat. We are terribly banged up, and without our best player. Our make shift line was going up against the best front we've seen all year and seeing who we've played that's a hell of a compliment. At the start of the year we said a bowl would be a great year and guess what we can make that happen. Suck it up or send in your resume as I'm sure you know more than our coach does about coaching division 1 football.

Reactions: 63 people
o line made those WR drop the passes?...your so smart

Why you gotta be a dick? Its our own fans here. Good lord.

If you think the oline played well enough to win the game tonight you are mistaken. How is dropped passes on the coaches even? Our coaches teach to catch and tuck and then turn.

Mizzou defense was in the backfield all game. This offense will work, but its tough to run it when we have thrown together this oline and simply put they are weak and slow. Hopefully they will get better, but for now, we just have to keep recruiting and get guys in for THIS system.

Maybe just give some credit to Mizzou. Their linemen were more physical and aggresive than ours. Our DB's got beat in man coverage (it happens). There wasnt one defensive play I saw that was bad scheming

Reactions: 13 people
even Kirk Herbstreet was beside himself almost laughing when he realized Butch Jones had thrown the challenge flag on the onside kick essentially ending the game without even giving ur defense a shot to get a stop.... Even before this debacle the Vols have the ball on the one and you must assume that they have a played called just incase they get stopped at the goal line ( most likely a fade or some quick throw).. The vols get lined up and butch inexplicably calls at time out ??? and for what ?? they come right back and throw the fade... for what possible reason did a time out need to be burned in that situation??? Again pointed out by Herby and company... I could understand if its 4th down and you want to make sure everyone is on the same page.. these basic clock management issues r inexcusable and i wont even get into the PURE Vanilla play calling by the OC.. it makes it so easy to stop an offense when u only have to worry about the ball going 6-10 yards down the field... you have to take shots you have to make them respect the threat that you will take a shot.... Its hard enough to win games in the SEC playing frosh and sophomores

Where is this awesome Herby guy coaching again? It's easy to have all the answers (or think you do) when you are sitting in the press box. Had we not challenged we would have had maybe 15 seconds to go 90+ yards. None of those timeouts cost us the game. Our only hope was the on side kick.

Reactions: 7 people
You can't say it's why we lost however we simply can't take medium to long shots down field against a quality D without more push up front.

Reactions: 1 person

Do this: Step outside. Find the nearest tree. Walk to said tree. Apologize to it profusely for stealing the oxygen it produces.

I'd be willing to bet that your birth certificate is an apology letter from Trojan Condoms.

Reactions: 33 people
Our o line is equivalent to a middle school football teams o line. And yeah ...Butch horribly butchered those timeouts. Wtf?

Reactions: 2 people
Do this: Step outside. Find the nearest tree. Walk to said tree. Apologize to it profusely for stealing the oxygen it produces.

I'd be willing to bet that your birth certificate is an apology letter from Trojan Condoms.

He's right though. You have to criticize coaches when they made horrible calls.

He's right though. You have to criticize coaches when they made horrible calls.

Why? To make you feel better about the loss? Does it really do any good to criticize the coaches on a message board?

It seems so easy when you're not the one who has to make the decisions. Just jack back and say they should have done this or I would have done that. The only real reason to get on here and criticize the coaches is to have something to complain about. After a loss this board turns into one big crying blanket.

Reactions: 6 people
Why? To make you feel better about the loss? Does it really do any good to criticize the coaches on a message board?

It seems so easy when you're not the one who has to make the decisions. Just jack back and say they should have done this or I would have done that. The only real reason to get on here and criticize the coaches is to have something to complain about. After a loss this board turns into one big crying blanket.

giphy.gif

Also didn't know we had so d**n many perfect people on here. Hindsight's always 20/20, don'tcha know?? A solid 75% of VN is obviously missing their calling, they should be D1 head coaches somewhere.....they obviously know more about the game and how it should be played then those that get paid do.....

Reactions: 5 people
It wasn't just our offensive line. Mental mistakes with a few penalties costs us big time as well on 3rd down when we had them stopped, dropped catchable passes, turnovers, etc

It was an ugly game for both teams really. Each team gave the other team lots of chances to win we just didn't get the job done

awful Fan..

Why cannot everyone agree.......we simply got beat by a veteran, more experienced, football team. We are young with a makeshift o line and our best player was not even on the field. What does everyone expect ???

giphy.gif

Also didn't know we had so d**n many perfect people on here. Hindsight's always 20/20, don'tcha know?? A solid 75% of VN is obviously missing their calling, they should be D1 head coaches somewhere.....they obviously know more about the game and how it should be played then those that get paid do.....

Guess all should stay away. Message boards are designed to exchange ideas and spark dialogue. It is amusing in here how many react to criticism of either coaches or players. Tonight was a mix of a young team that were put into some bad positions by poor coaching. Not all game long but enough to matter. The team owned this and by that I include the staff. Youth is not the only "excuse" tonight.

Reactions: 5 people
My god I truly wish fans like you would just go away. These kids played their ass off and got beat. We are terribly banged up, and without our best player. Our make shift line was going up against the best front we've seen all year and seeing who we've played that's a hell of a compliment. At the start of the year we said a bowl would be a great year and guess what we can make that happen. Suck it up or send in your resume as I'm sure you know more than our coach does about coaching division 1 football.

Good post. I expected at least 10 different threads like these after we lost, and we may still get there. It hasn't even been 12 hours since the game ended yet. Come on nega-Vols, you still have time.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back