662 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Hart To Interview Gundy Sunday Page 8. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. Originally Posted by JonGrudensAgent So what's your point? You don't think OK ST would match a 700 K raise if ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Football

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGrudensAgent View Post
So what's your point?

You don't think OK ST would match a 700 K raise if your 4 million number is accurate?

My point about any of these guys at established programs are going to be a tough sell. Why leave their comfort zone and comparable money to take the UT job?

Sure, you can point to the SEC being the big swinging d-ck of college football but it isn't like these guys are coaching in the Sun Belt or MAC.

Not saying Gundy to UT can't happen, I just don't see enough of an upside for Gundy, Fisher or others to do so.

How many Schools have given a 700,000.00 raise to a guy who went 7-5? How many schools would do it after giving the man a 1.8 million dollar raise and 7 year extention after going 12-1 last year? It just does not make sense they would keep piling on money unless the peformance on the field justified it(see 2011).
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveHimSixGoVols View Post
Then you win the village idiot award of VN
Hope we get him...but I don't believe a word about those two reporting anything at this point...village idiot or no.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #108 (permalink)
Close2volatiljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manvol View Post
He wants more money and better facilities. IMO
OSU has great facilities. He has some sort of disagreement with the AD. I have a really good friend that graduated from there. He is scared to death that we are going to hire him.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #109 (permalink)
SDV
Wants It

YouTube Link
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatil View Post
OSU has great facilities. He has some sort of disagreement with the AD. I have a really good friend that graduated from there. He is scared to death that we are going to hire him.
Now that is what I was thinking. Something is just not right and I doubt it has anything to do with money or wanting more of it from OSU. Maybe they work out their differences, but I would not expect to hear Gundy has got a raise if he stays there.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #111 (permalink)

I'm not saying Gundy would be willing to leave OkSt, but for those who say " Why would he?" or " It's just to leverage a raise", you may be correct, however, consider this article. OkSt AD is a mess right now.

Boone Pickens Calls the Plays as Big Gift Complicates Life at Oklahoma State - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #112 (permalink)
Close2volatiljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebanonVolunteer View Post
Now that is what I was thinking. Something is just not right and I doubt it has anything to do with money or wanting more of it from OSU. Maybe they work out their differences, but I would not expect to hear Gundy has got a raise if he stays there.
Don't be fooled though. Gundy is T-Boones boy.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #113 (permalink)

This is so stupid, Gundy is not coming here, he has everything he wants at Oky St
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatil View Post
Don't be fooled though. Gundy is T-Boones boy.
Maybe J. Haslam is looking to adopt.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #115 (permalink)

Saw this....

Dec 1st, 7.45PM

Oklahoma State says Tennessee has not contacted AD Mike Holder about Mike Gundy

Oklahoma State says Tennessee has not contacted AD Mike Holder about Mike Gundy | OSU Cowboys

With regular season over, now we'll find out if Mike Gundy has interest in other jobs

Sports Extra - Blogs - With regular season over now well find out if Mike Gundy has interest in other jobs | Tulsa World
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol4ever View Post
This is so stupid, Gundy is not coming here, he has everything he wants at Oky St
While he may not come here, the idea is far from stupid. The OSU athletic dept is essentially broke.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #117 (permalink)

Track de plane
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrrcr View Post
He is certainly not worth what it would take to get him. Gundy makes almost 4 mil a year right now. Tenn would have to offer him Saban money to get him and by the way he is no Saban.

I would rather, go after someone like a Strong, Franklin, or even a Gus Malzahn and pay about 3.5 mil and have an extra 2 mil to pay great Assist coaches.
Exactly!

I must admit that I do not always have time to follow all the coaches across the country. So, my thinking on the coaching search is evolving. However, I do believe that your philosophy on this is sound.

If we can't get Gruden, then lets get a good, solid HC, who we can get a good deal on. Then, lets get the best assistants in the business.

Bobby Bowden was a genious until Mark Richt left in 2000. Urban Meyer decided it was time to move on after Charlie Strong left after 2009. He then changed his mind, and went 8-5 in 2010. Sometimes we focus way too much on the HC, when it is really a great supporting cast that is doing all the work.

I would not want Malzahn without a really great DC. I do believe that is an excellent short list though.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Forman View Post
While he may not come here, the idea is far from stupid. The OSU athletic dept is essentially broke.
This is what everyone else says about us, and our reply is to remind everyone of our boosters.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #120 (permalink)

Don't get me wrong, Gundy is a huge upgrade over Dooley but who isn't? I don't think we should simply settle for a guy because he's a huge upgrade over Dooley or they may as well hire anyone to achieve that.

My concern with Gundy is that everyone seems to think he would be good as long as he brings a big time DC with him. Well, who is this big time DC that Gundy would get?

Currently, I see him as another guy that can hang 50 points on the board but allows the other team to do so as well. We just dealt with that under Sal Sunseri and I'm afraid that "outscore em'" approach of the Big 12 wouldn't work well in the SEC.

He may be alright but after what we witnessed this past season, I would be concerned with a staff that couldn't stop anyone.
Reply With Quote TOP