Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral is awesome and that was an incredible and stunning performance.

Here is the source document he was referencing:

Create a Ruckus
September 14, 2016 ~ tydarlington56

I was never a big believer in homefield advantage. I scoffed at the notion that a fan could actually have an impact on a football game. You have a hostile crowd? Good. I feed off of hostile crowds, and I embrace it when fans ridicule me. You think you’re loud? Whatever. We use a silent count anyways, and noise is only a factor on three to four plays a game. Your homefield advantage is incredibly overrated. Bring it on. You’re wasting your breath.

And then I ran out of the tunnel in Knoxville, Tennessee, FOR WARMUP and was greeted by thousands of screaming fans and the chorus of “Rocky Top.” The game wasn’t set to start for over an hour, and these people seemed to think it was kickoff time. I exited the tunnel for the pregame warm-up, and those psychotic students were already there, giving us a small preview of what to expect in the hours to come. What had we gotten ourselves into?

What followed in the 4 quarters and 2 overtimes of play was a dissertation on the impact a crowd CAN have upon a football game. The Vol faithful made it absolutely impossible to communicate. On the first drive, we had to change our snap count, because even our silent count was ineffective against that wall of noise. I came off the field after that first drive and reassured Coach Bedenbaugh that the fans would settle down in due time, and that noise was not going to be an issue going forward. Boy was I wrong. The noise was a constant, oppressive force. I could literally feel it on my skin. But these fans weren’t just loud on the first drive. Or just on 3rd down. Or just in the fourth quarter. It was every. single. play. On the offensive line, we couldn’t hear Baker’s play calls, we couldn’t make our own combo calls, and we couldn’t communicate checks and alerts verbally. We resorted to a makeshift hand signaling system that was at times more confusing than informative. At times, we were much more worried about simply KNOWING the play than we were about actually EXECUTING it. That night in Neyland Stadium, playing football seemed all but impossible, and that can be attributed as much to the men and women in the stands as to the uniformed men on the field itself. That night, as I boarded the flight back to Norman with Rocky Top ringing in my ears, I realized that I had been converted. From a man skeptical of fan impact, to a man in awe of it.

Create a Ruckus

Yeah that's nice and all but we lost that game. Don't really see why folks are so hype over that clip. I think the intimidation factor of Neyland Stadium is overrated. Back in the 90's and early to mid 2000's I think there was legit fear, not anymore.

Oh looks it's Chief...... (Hey negative Nancy how goes it)......

All the chills.

Related: got a wild hair and up and decided I was driving up from Baton Rouge to catch this game. What made it crazier was that I convinced my Pops to come with me. Planning on hitting up Calhoun’s to see @marker912 before. Y’all drop your tailgating spots so we can compare Baton Rouge / Knoxville tailgating :)
Parking garage. Usually third level. Nothing big but we have a good time.
Screenshot_20180919-213829.png

Reactions: Geaux_Vols
Yeah that's nice and all but we lost that game. Don't really see why folks are so hype over that clip. I think the intimidation factor of Neyland Stadium is overrated. Back in the 90's and early to mid 2000's I think there was legit fear, not anymore.

🙄🙄🙄. No one fears a stadium chief. That’s not the point.

Yes I’m sure you know more about the “intimidation factor” than a dude who played through it when it broke the decibel sound record ever recorded in Neyland......

🙄🙄🙄. No one fears a stadium chief. That’s not the point.
You know what I mean dude. No team outside of an ETSU type is going to come in here the least bit intimidated. Back in Tennessee's hay day, yes. Over the last decade or so, nope. Might as well be playing Kentucky or Vanderbilt with 100,000 fans in the stands. At least that's how it's perceived.

Why ruin a good thing man. This has been a great week. Don’t **** on the parade before it even starts.
Yeah idc. Saw a bunch of folks getting hype over this clip, so I wanted to check it out. Only to see it was based off a game we lost. That's when you know you're a has been. Winning will get that type of fear back.

I have my doubts. I think we have a decent shot to win, but Florida has been the superior program for 25 years. Just hope there aren't a lot of guys on this team who see a Florida Gator across from them and piss a little.
This seems to contradict your opinion that we have an alpha coach. The fact that you would say something like this about the team you support causes me to question my opinion that you're not a troll. Just hope you don't hurt yourself turning off your computer when we WTFA.

You know what I mean dude. No team outside of an ETSU type is going to come in here the least bit intimidated. Back in Tennessee's hay day, yes. Over the last decade or so, nope. Might as well be playing Kentucky or Vanderbilt with 100,000 fans in the stands. At least that's how it's perceived.

No major team goes into any stadium intimated ever. That’s the point. You think people are all a sudden intimated by Bryant Denny? No. It’s the team that’s in it.

That doesn’t take away from certain stadiums atmospheres are just different than others. Neyland and LSU’s Death Valley are in a class of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back