ESPN Reporting Bama has Hired Lane Kiffin

I'm guessing the student section will be leading the first "F U Kiffin" chant...

I'm guessing the WHOLE stadium will follow!!! And any UT fan that's not there will be saying it loud also. I also see A LOT of signs that read "KARMA IS A BUTCH" through out the house!!!

These are the stats from his offense for the 2 years he was OC/passing game coordinator at USC.

2006 USC - 21st in NCAA in yards per game, 27th in NCAA in yards per play - 14th in NCAA in passing yards per game
2005 USC - 2nd in NCAA in yards per game, 1st in NCAA in yards per play - 5th in NCAA in passing yards per game

So yeah, looks pretty good to me.

Hope he falls flat on his face and bubble screens his way into oblivion, but he's a pretty good OC.

That was almost a decade ago. What did he do when he didn't have Pete Carroll and Sark by his side? Absolutely nothing. He ran us into the ground and ran SC into the ground.He wasn't even THE OC at SC. He was CO-OC with a guy that's still a head coach and btw just took his damn job.

That was almost a decade ago. What did he do when he didn't have Pete Carroll and Sark by his side? Absolutely nothing. He ran us into the ground and ran SC into the ground.He wasn't even THE OC at SC. He was CO-OC with a guy that's still a head coach and btw just took his damn job.

Indeed it was. And yeah, he's an awful HC. However, you're fooling yourself if you think that he's done nothing as an OC or anything like that, or done nothing to develop anyone (example - Jonathan "All Worms of Neyland Stadium Beware" Crompton). I'm not saying he's the best or the greatest offensive mind out there, but he knows what he's doing.

Indeed it was. And yeah, he's an awful HC. However, you're fooling yourself if you think that he's done nothing as an OC or anything like that, or done nothing to develop anyone (example - Jonathan "All Worms of Neyland Stadium Beware" Crompton). I'm not saying he's the best or the greatest offensive mind out there, but he knows what he's doing.

Imo hes overrated as an OC. Hes never even been an OC by himself. What Crompton achieved was surprising but lets not act like Crompton wasn't a highly ranked QB prospect out of HS. I think a lot of coaches could have pulled that off and keep in mind he only won 7 games so tifwiw

Reactions: 3 people

If you think Kiffin is the reason UT is where it is now then I have this guy who really likes donuts I need to introduce you to.

If you think Kiffin is the reason UT is where it is now then I have this guy who really likes donuts I need to introduce you to.

Fulmer hurt us in his final years. What Kiffin did to us crippled us. We could have recovered from the end of the Fulmer era but when Kiffin bolted and all of his recruits did too - it set us back years.

Reactions: 1 person
I was under the impression that Kiffin was never the solo OC at Southern Cal. I know Norm Chow generally gets credit for the glory years, and he was a co-coordinator with Sark after Chow left. His play calling sucked this year, I know that much. It's not so easy without Reggie Bush. He will probably do alright at Bama, but only because the roster is loaded.

Did you forget what happened the last time a Kiffin offense faced a Jancek/Martinez defense?

All of the game film UGA had on us showed one of the worst SEC starting QBs of all time. Crompton was a completely different player from the Auburn game to the UGA game. UGA was blindsided.

Matt Barkley says what's up. Not to mention claiming someone is competent when they are co anything is the very definition of praising mediocrity.

All of the game film UGA had on us showed one of the worst SEC starting QBs of all time. Crompton was a completely different player from the Auburn game to the UGA game. UGA was blindsided.

Yeah, Kiffin was a genius. He figured out by game 5 or 6 or whatever the hell it was to roll out a 5 star dual threat QB just like Cutcliffe told Phillip to do before he left. He gets a lot of credit for this even though many accounts said it was Chaney who pushed for rolling out Crompton not Kiffin. But Kiffin was the HC so he gets the credit.

Reactions: 4 people
This is why I love SEC football. Middle of January and we have more to talk about then the other conferences do in September.

Saban done lost his damn mind. That's what losing to Auburn does I guess. Kiffin may or may not be a good OC but one thing is guaranteed, he will end up stabbing Saban in the back one way or another.

Last edited:
Kiffin isn't a bad hire because he's a bad OC. Kiffin's a bad hire because he plays fast and loose with the rules of recruiting. Mixing that with a program that's gotten in trouble for doing just that in the past is begging for trouble. He's gonna be a distraction for Saban because there's no way in hell Saban trusts Kiffin to keep his nose clean. It goes against his nature. I just don't see a good chemistry with the coaching personalities. Again, it's not that Kiffin is a bad OC, but he's one of the few coaches out there who's ego surpasses the Crimson Napoleon. Long term, I just don't see it being a good fit.

Reactions: 3 people
Kiffin was perceived to play fast and loose recruiting at UTK and maybe he did push the envelope but I recall any severe sanctions. He didn't have to use those tactics at USC so he dropped his act. He won't need to resort to hostesses and helicopters to recruit to Bama.

Lane is one lucky SOB. Now he has been at two prestigious universities as HC, an NFL HC, Layla, and now he joins the Saban coaching tree.

Those thinking Kiff will get Bama in NCAA hot water are kidding themselves. Bama can and does do about anything they please with immunity. They are completely bullet proof and teflon coated. Kiffin has found the perfect home for his shenanigans.

VN Store

Back