What oil(and filter) do you use?

Bought a wix filter and will stick with the same oil I have always used. Will I regret this filter purchase?

I will probably change my oil in a day or 2 and was wanting to try a k&n filter. The called filter is the HP-1015 or the PS-1015 filter. I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5L. It has 193,594 miles. I am looking to run 10w40 maxlife with the hp k&n filter. My question is would it be acceptable to run 10w40 through that type of filter? I am not a car guru, but I prefer to change my own oil and thought I would give this filter a try.

I'd use whatever weight the manufacturer recommends

Not all Wix filters are the same . Sold auto Parts for 20 years . NAPA has the highest quality oil filters made by Wix . I have been through their factory , In Gastonia NC .

Oil is pretty much up to you . I have found Havoline to be the "cleanest " conventional oil . Synthetic is good if you stay with the same brand and grade .

Last edited:
This doesn't pertain to just oil filters but I'm sure many of you would be surprised to know of all the things that are manufactured under the same roof with the same specifications yet stamped with multiple brand names.

Fram , Advance and such are a lower grade filter . Honest been there and saw , how it works . Craftsman and other such hand tools Sockets especially are made in exactly the same factory , it depends on what brand they are running today . the oil filters are not that way . The socket factory is in Bessemer City NC btw . LOL i might have a few sockets that have the same durability and different names .

Fram , Advance and such are a lower grade filter . Honest been there and saw , how it works . Craftsman and other such hand tools Sockets especially are made in exactly the same factory , it depends on what brand they are running today . the oil filters are not that way . The socket factory is in Bessemer City NC btw . LOL i might have a few sockets that have the same durability and different names .

I doubt you have had access to tour all these factories. As a parts store clerk I'm sure you were pitched a lot of lines & given incentives to push various brands & products.

This doesn't pertain to just oil filters but I'm sure many of you would be surprised to know of all the things that are manufactured under the same roof with the same specifications yet stamped with multiple brand names.

Yeah... a lot of products that are on the same level.

Craftsman and Kobalt may be made in the same factory. That doesn't mean that Snap-On isn't light years ahead of both in quality.

Fram still sucks, lol.

I don't know why you have such an agenda to push that crappy brands are always on par with more expensive brands. It's not always the case.

And you do understand that two products can be manufactured in the same factory with completely different specifications and standards as well, right?

Yeah... a lot of products that are on the same level.

Craftsman and Kobalt may be made in the same factory. That doesn't mean that Snap-On isn't light years ahead of both in quality.

Fram still sucks, lol.

I don't know why you have such an agenda to push that crappy brands are always on par with more expensive brands. It's not always the case.

And you do understand that two products can be manufactured in the same factory with completely different specifications and standards as well, right?

Why does Fram suck? What's it based on? Performance or materials? Quality on every manufactured product has diminished over the years because everybody wants to make more for less. That's why jobs go to China or if they stay in the USA the people that work in the facilities get their workload doubled or more. Diminished quality or cheaper materials doesn't necessarily mean a product won't perform though. Most people buy things on looks rather than actual performance anyway.

It's been posted. Frams have a higher failure rate than other filters.

I don't even care about Fram anymore. It doesn't matter. I know there's no point talking to you about anything, because you've got a pretty thick skull. I just want you to know that cheaper is sometimes worse.

Red wine is better than white. Steaks well done are a waste of good meat. Good beer > Domestic water beer.

Reactions: 2 people
It's been posted. Frams have a higher failure rate than other filters.

I don't even care about Fram anymore. It doesn't matter. I know there's no point talking to you about anything, because you've got a pretty thick skull. I just want you to know that cheaper is sometimes worse.

Red wine is better than white. Steaks well done are a waste of good meat. Good beer > Domestic water beer.

Your opinion is no better or no worse than mine. Of course I'm no hypocrite though. Show me stats on oil filter failure rates.

It must be a terrible burden going through life knowing everything about everything. So many people to correct, so little time....

cliff.jpg

It must be a terrible burden going through life knowing everything about everything. So many people to correct, so little time....

cliff.jpg

Lmao! Great find! We now know that cc doesn't stand for community college, it stands for Cliff Clavin! (sp?)

I got one for you...what about Air Filters? I have a small economy car and was wondering if the K&N drop in filters are worth the money?

I got one for you...what about Air Filters? I have a small economy car and was wondering if the K&N drop in filters are worth the money?

I have a K&N air filter in my truck. A very slight increase in MPG

VN Store

Back