'13 FL ATH Lemond Johnson (UT Commit 12/16/12)

People that have to call people racist are also racist themselves. Everybody is racist in one way or another. STFU about race. It's that simple.

Reactions: 2 people
He was an old, pompous, cantankerous man who had worn the last nerve of those who employed him but he was in no way a racist. He made a very inappropriate comment when he called Alvin Garrett a "little monkey" on MNF, the only problem was that it was a term he'd used many times before in reference to white players. Not to mention what he called his own grandson.

All anyone has to do is look at the way he interacted with Ali, at a time when the initial reaction for most in the media to a loud and opinionated black athlete was not a favorable one, to know that Cosell was far from a racist.

There is actually an audio of Cosell calling former Vol great Richmond Flowers a "little monkey"

Whoa whoa whoa. It disgusts me that anyone would take a harmless comment and turn it into racism with absolutely nothing to base it on. First of all its a message board, I have no idea whether someone is white, black, Asian or orange so if I ever wanted to make a racist comment, that would be tough. For all anyone knows Im a native american anthropologist that refers to all humanity as monkeys because I believe thats where humans came from. It was said in complete playfulness, I call my nieces and nephews monkeys for Christs sake. So for someone to take an innocent comment and take it the racist direction with absolutely no reason to says a little about yourself. I hope in the future people think a little bit before letting their mind go that direction.

Word of advice if you're ever in Alabama don't call anyone a monkey. It says nothing about me though. I accused you of nothing. I posted "Monkeys???" and waited for you to explain yourself. There was nasty incident with me and another poster a couple of years back on this board over some racist comments that were said. Then the Riley Ferguson wigger comments further pissed me off. But I accused you of nothing. :hi:

Word of advice if you're ever in Alabama don't call anyone a monkey. It says nothing about me though. I accused you of nothing. I posted "Monkeys???" and waited for you to explain yourself. There was nasty incident with me and another poster a couple of years back on this board over some racist comments that were said. Then the Riley Ferguson wigger comments further pissed me off. But I accused you of nothing. :hi:

Then there should've been no need to explain anything.

He didn't mean any harm, just an explanation to make sure you weren't taking that route. No harm, no foul. Go Vols!

:salute:

Thank You sir. Thought I explained it well to him. He also must understand that I grew up in Alabama. Certain things are a bit touchy in this region. But like I said before no problem. :hi:

There is actually an audio of Cosell calling former Vol great Richmond Flowers a "little monkey"

White folks call White folks monkeys and nobody thinks anything about it. Other folks are over sensitive about that word for some reason. Just don't hide my lunch and call me Hungry.

Reactions: 1 person
White folks call White folks monkeys and nobody thinks anything about it. Other folks are over sensitive about that word for some reason. Just don't hide my lunch and call me Hungry.
Maybe because during slavery that was a common term describing African Americans. Along with other negative words. The meaning of those words just don't go away because you think it should.

8458557.jpeg

Will wear #28

Lemond Johnson Profile - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Maybe because during slavery that was a common term describing African Americans. Along with other negative words. The meaning of those words just don't go away because you think it should.

Let's just put an official list of words out so everyone know which ones will offend those who more than likely were never slaves to begin with. The racism crap generally will continue to thrive the more people bring it up and continually cause a divide.

Last edited:
:salute:

Thank You sir. Thought I explained it well to him. He also must understand that I grew up in Alabama. Certain things are a bit touchy in this region. But like I said before no problem. :hi:

Alabama is no different than anywhere else in the south when it comes to that..

VN Store

Back