How long does C. Martin have to show improvement?

Who are the Martin slurpers that hated Pearl? Does that make you a Pearl slurper?

Seems childish that you want a coach to fail because the previous coached that you loved got fired and some people rejoiced over it. Why not pull for the school no matter who is coach? Or is it such a personal feud that you can't let it go?

Especially considering those "people" don't post here anymore. It's time to let it go.

Who are the Martin slurpers that hated Pearl? Does that make you a Pearl slurper?

Seems childish that you want a coach to fail because the previous coached that you loved got fired and some people rejoiced over it. Why not pull for the school no matter who is coach? Or is it such a personal feud that you can't let it go?

I do pull for the school. I can't change the outcome of ballgames, but, after listening to how we were so much better off now with martin than we ever have been according to some I guess that on impulse i like rubbing their nose in it.

Where is Claiborne County? Just curious

Surely you jest. You live in Powell and don't know where Claiborne County is? What a sense of direction you have. Just about 25-30 miles straight north of Halls (Crossroads). You do know where Halls is.....right? Just down the road from Powell.....that Halls?

Next year is judgment year, like many have said. If he can't get us into the dance next year time to make a change.

Cuonzo backers can't stop talking about next year. They have have written off this year like the rest of us .

I don't think people are writing off this year as much as looking forward to next year. There's a difference.

Next year is judgment year, like many have said. If he can't get us into the dance next year time to make a change.

I really think year 4 is the big year for Martin, surely next yr at worse we will squeeze into the tournament but we will be losing a lot after next yr.

I really think year 4 is the big year for Martin, surely next yr at worse we will squeeze into the tournament but we will be losing a lot after next yr.

Says who? Hubbs and Stokes may very well return. Add in Richardson and Yemi being seniors and i'd say that's a decent core group.

Landry
Hubbs
Richardson/Reese
Stokes/Davis
Yemi

Add in a couple good freshman and I'd have to think that's a NCAA team. The key is a PG, we add one of the PG CCM is targeting in 14 and we'll be in good hands.

But like I've said, looking THAT far ahead and trying to project the roster is impossible.

Last edited:
Says who? Hubbs and Stokes may very well return. Add in Richardson and Yemi being seniors and i'd say that's a decent core group.

Landry
Hubbs
Richardson/Reese
Stokes/Davis
Yemi

Add in a couple good freshman and I'd have to think that's a NCAA team. The key is a PG, we add one of the PG CCM is targeting in 14 and we'll be in good hands.

But like I've said, looking THAT far ahead and trying to project the roster is impossible.

That is why I think it is his biggest year...all the left overs are gone and it will really show how Martin is able to recruit and mold a team together. I'm not that sold on Yemi, Reese, or davis yet. Hopefully they will pan out.

he gets 3 years minimum, potentially 4 if he can continue to recruit good players.
at 4 years he will have to demonstrate he can win in the post season. he has a lot to prove.

I think he gets next year and if r team doesnt make the tourney next year he's for sure gone, but I think with the talent he's goin to have next year hell have the job at least 4 years. I just don't see him failing with hubbs, mcRae, maymon, and stokes. Even if golden keeps playing like he has I still think thats enough talent to make it to the tourney

I think he gets next year and if r team doesnt make the tourney next year he's for sure gone, but I think with the talent he's goin to have next year hell have the job at least 4 years. I just don't see him failing with hubbs, mcRae, maymon, and stokes. Even if golden keeps playing like he has I still think thats enough talent to make it to the tourney

Depends on how much he "grows" as a coach, too. To this point, and this really surprises me considering the persona he projects, Cuonzo seems to be every bit of a "roll the ball out there" coach on offense. Every time you hear him talk it's, "got to hit shots", "got to handle the ball better," "got to compete," with little elaboration on how that will happen. Maybe he just doesn't talk about it to the press, but the results on offense are starting to make me think he really doesn't provide much guidance on that side of the ball.

He's got to start proving he has some Xs & Os chops if he wants to last long in this league.

Cuonzo backers can't stop talking about next year. They have have written off this year like the rest of us .

Maymon not playing is huge, and it's going to be extremely difficult to overcome that. As you have already seen.

It's not like things are going to get a whole lot easier. The loss of Maymon combined with the subpar playing by the team means NIT at best barring winning the SECT.

Depends on how much he "grows" as a coach, too. To this point, and this really surprises me considering the persona he projects, Cuonzo seems to be every bit of a "roll the ball out there" coach on offense. Every time you hear him talk it's, "got to hit shots", "got to handle the ball better," "got to compete," with little elaboration on how that will happen. Maybe he just doesn't talk about it to the press, but the results on offense are starting to make me think he really doesn't provide much guidance on that side of the ball.

He's got to start proving he has some Xs & Os chops if he wants to last long in this league.

Not trying to compare the two, just something I thought of...pearl struggled with defense early on at UT, but seemed to be a pretty good offensive mind. He went out and hired Steve Forbes who was supposed to be a good defensive mind and recruiter to help on that side of the ball.

Maybe Zo should think about hiring a good offensive mind...just a thought.

With that said, I'll let the season finish before making much of a judgment. I thought the offense has looked better the last couple games, and we had maybe out best offensive stretch of the season against Bama (5 straight FGS). Of course that was followed up by a drought, but I've seen improvement. The thing to rememeber also is this, (and yes I get he's in charge of recruiting) but how much can you do offensively without a PG? If golden doesn't get back to early season golden this offense can only improve so much.

all of that talent next year ,tour crazy this team is as talented as any practice team and Hubbs is the only talent they are adding and davis will surprize next year
pg golden/ hubbs

2 hubbs/mcrae
3 mcrae /richadson/davis
4 stokes/davis
5maymon/yemi/stokes

then moore and landry, chevious is lmu talent should be gone
stokes should do alot better with maymon back and hubss replacing your guys local hero mcbrick should give the VOLS an outstanding 3 point shooter or someone who can drive to the bucket and finish.mcrae having hubbs a freshmen finally pushing him to get better.should make jim better on the other wingdoes or could mcbee make anyone better not on your lif unless it is making opposing plsyers look good as they drive around him or that jog from corner to wing .the vols wont be much more talented but with a star in the making in hubbs starting at the 2 and some at the pg because he can dribble better than anyone on current roster and mcrae gets even better as he plays the three and stokes and maymon inside and golden at pointson moor and yemi coming in for defense vols will be top 3 in SEC nezt seasin and i hope martin can land a couple stars in the next ckass

Absolutely.

Barring bad injuries, etc., the Vols have to make the NCAA next year, and I mean not a situation where they have a miracle SECT run and get in by winning it. They need to have a good season.

Vols haven't won and SEC Tourney title since 1979.

Miracle run indeed.

Not trying to compare the two, just something I thought of...pearl struggled with defense early on at UT, but seemed to be a pretty good offensive mind. He went out and hired Steve Forbes who was supposed to be a good defensive mind and recruiter to help on that side of the ball.

Maybe Zo should think about hiring a good offensive mind...just a thought.

With that said, I'll let the season finish before making much of a judgment. I thought the offense has looked better the last couple games, and we had maybe out best offensive stretch of the season against Bama (5 straight FGS). Of course that was followed up by a drought, but I've seen improvement. The thing to rememeber also is this, (and yes I get he's in charge of recruiting) but how much can you do offensively without a PG? If golden doesn't get back to early season golden this offense can only improve so much.
Have to feel for Martin.
Right now he's like the guy in the super market shopping without a buggy.
Grabs the sugar and drops the salt.
If everything stays as it is on offense right now and Trae gets back in the groove, we could be tough at home and win the road games we need .
Need to gel right now.

I give him a max of 4 years going back to last year. This is basketball not football so if he can't get it done in that time then it's good bye cuonzo

Did anyone else see where Duke lost their first game, playing without injured Ryan Kelly? He's not even their best player but kind of sounds familiar.

Did anyone else see where Duke lost their first game, playing without injured Ryan Kelly? He's not even their best player but kind of sounds familiar.

Did you notice they were playing the team picked to contend with Duke for the ACC crown and it was in their building?

VN Store

Back