How long does C. Martin have to show improvement?

Barring bad injuries, etc., the Vols have to make the NCAA next year, and I mean not a situation where they have a miracle SECT run and get in by winning it. They need to have a good season.

Replace him at the end of the season if the Vols don't win at least 18-20! Vols have better than average talent, but not great. Need a good recruiting coach like we had in Pearl and also Pat Summitt.

Writing Martin off at this point would be unfair. The people that can't understand this are the ones acting like everyone else is at Martin's tit. Name one Martin fan on this board that is 100% happy with him. There are none. Grude, know, roust, and the rest of the clowns refuse to acknowledge that the reasonable posters are aware of Martin's shortcomings.

In any case, do you guys REALLY want to go down the negative effects of firing coaches road again? If Martin is fired, the program takes another 3 steps back, we most likely lose Hubbs and probably others, and the coaching job looks even less desirable.

Reactions: 1 person
Writing Martin off at this point would be unfair. The people that can't understand this are the ones acting like everyone else is at Martin's tit. Name one Martin fan on this board that is 100% happy with him. There are none. Grude, know, roust, and the rest of the clowns refuse to acknowledge that the reasonable posters are aware of Martin's shortcomings.

In any case, do you guys REALLY want to go down the negative effects of firing coaches road again? If Martin is fired, the program takes another 3 steps back, we most likely lose Hubbs and probably others, and the coaching job looks even less desirable.
Talking to a wall.
Guess I was one of the few encouraged by the Alabama game. Been a long time since we scored 65 on the road.
If golden should suddenly get back in the groove, we could still be tough going down the stretch.
COULD!!

I know what you will say next year when we're not..."wait til next year"...Same old S**t

I'm sure you would like for us to lose next year, so you could be right about Martin. I've said all along if he doesn't make the tournament next year he should be gone. That's the most realistic expectations. His recruiting has gotten better every single year and I expect that it will continue that way. We are in on some huge names.

Talking to a wall.
Guess I was one of the few encouraged by the Alabama game. Been a long time since we scored 65 on the road.
If golden should suddenly get back in the groove, we could still be tough going down the stretch.
COULD!!
I felt like we were in control the whole game until there was about 3 minutes left. We just needed a ball handler.

Very well said Chris. Too often, the belief here is that everything is absolute. You're either 100% for or against the coach. In reality, you can support Martin and still question his long-term viability. Supporting him after a year and a half on the job doesn't make you a mindless homer. As you said, reasonable posters can support him while acknowledging his shortcomings with hope that he can correct them in time.

Very well said Chris. Too often, the belief here is that everything is absolute. You're either 100% for or against the coach. In reality, you can support Martin and still question his long-term viability. Supporting him after a year and a half on the job doesn't make you a mindless homer. As you said, reasonable posters can support him while acknowledging his shortcomings with hope that he can correct them in time.

I could accept this if the post from the other side didn't get so far fetched and out of left field. I know you remember how fair and balanced it was when this same group were pushing to run Pearl out of town.

I felt like we were in control the whole game until there was about 3 minutes left. We just needed a ball handler.

CCM has signed 66.66% of the players on this team so if their are no ball handlers I guess that means it's Pearl's fault.

I could accept this if the post from the other side didn't get so far fetched and out of left field. I know you remember how fair and balanced it was when this same group were pushing to run Pearl out of town.

Nothing is more far fetched than claiming Pearl will coach at UT again. You are a clown.

There are way more Pearl slurpers than people who are convinced Martin will lead UT to championships. Most of the people you're talking about are squarely in the middle.

So, because people got pissed because Pearl got us in trouble you are going to act just like them anytime Martin starts having trouble to try and prove a point? What sense does that make? Your mad because Pearl got fired and now you want to see Martin fail? Hell, what fan wants that? Well, besides UT IE that has hitched himself to the fail wagon 14 games into Martin's first year.

CCM has signed 66.66% of the players on this team so if their are no ball handlers I guess that means it's Pearl's fault.

No, it is CCM's fault. He relied too much on Golden, and that shot him in the foot. He signed one for next year though.

Well I started to draw on a Pearl parallel, and how those who liked him and appreciated his contributions were automatically Pearl fans instead of Tennessee fans, but I didn't want to open that can of worms.

You can appreciate his accomplishments and still not supports his actions, just like you can support Martin and still question his decisions. It doesn't have to be absolute either way.

Reactions: 3 people
Well I started to draw on a Pearl parallel, and how those who liked him and appreciated his contributions were automatically Pearl fans instead of Tennessee fans, but I didn't want to open that can of worms.

You can appreciate his accomplishments and still not supports his actions, just like you can support Martin and still question his decisions. It doesn't have to be absolute either way.
Well said, I feel like we have to choose sides on this board. I appreciate what Pearl done in his career, but also don't appreciate how he left the program. I hate that these idiots think it's wrong to support our current coach though.

Spot on. Why do people have to choose sides and be divisive? It's almost like you have to be either a Pearl fan or Martin fan. Last time I checked, I was a UT fan. I'll support whoever the coach at UT is until it becomes apparent that he is not going to get it done. I supported Dooley until this year when it became apparent he wasn't the answer. I had some doubts before then, but I was going to give him at least 3 years. He got that and now he's gone. Martin will get at least 3 years. If he doesn't get the team to the NCAA's next year, I'd say it's a good chance he will be fired.

Far-fetched? You mean, like your Pearl white horse return, mega-booster conspiracy pipe dream? :birgits_giggle:

To answer the question of the thread, I agree with what most rational fans are saying... year 3 is put up or shut up. If CCM can get to the tourney next year, and as long as Dave and Sir Booger Eater are at the helm, regular tournament appearances and keeping a clean ship will probably be good enough to keep CCM around, at least for a while.

Nothing is more far fetched than claiming Pearl will coach at UT again. You are a clown.

There are way more Pearl slurpers than people who are convinced Martin will lead UT to championships. Most of the people you're talking about are squarely in the middle.

Not at all, but, it is fun to watch you martin slurpers whine when you get a dose of what you have been shoveling the last several years.

So, because people got pissed because Pearl got us in trouble you are going to act just like them anytime Martin starts having trouble to try and prove a point? What sense does that make? Your mad because Pearl got fired and now you want to see Martin fail? Hell, what fan wants that? Well, besides UT IE that has hitched himself to the fail wagon 14 games into Martin's first year.

I could pull for Martin a lot easier if his slurpers did not want Pearl to lose so bad his last year here and now that their God is losing they want to act like they supported Pearl. Those of us who have followed this board for years know better.

all of that talent next year ,tour crazy this team is as talented as any practice team and Hubbs is the only talent they are adding and davis will surprize next year
pg golden/ hubbs

2 hubbs/mcrae
3 mcrae /richadson/davis
4 stokes/davis
5maymon/yemi/stokes

then moore and landry, chevious is lmu talent should be gone
stokes should do alot better with maymon back and hubss replacing your guys local hero mcbrick should give the VOLS an outstanding 3 point shooter or someone who can drive to the bucket and finish.mcrae having hubbs a freshmen finally pushing him to get better.should make jim better on the other wingdoes or could mcbee make anyone better not on your lif unless it is making opposing plsyers look good as they drive around him or that jog from corner to wing .the vols wont be much more talented but with a star in the making in hubbs starting at the 2 and some at the pg because he can dribble better than anyone on current roster and mcrae gets even better as he plays the three and stokes and maymon inside and golden at pointson moor and yemi coming in for defense vols will be top 3 in SEC nezt seasin and i hope martin can land a couple stars in the next ckass

Where is Claiborne County? Just curious

I could pull for Martin a lot easier if his slurpers did not want Pearl to lose so bad his last year here and now that their God is losing they want to act like they supported Pearl. Those of us who have followed this board for years know better.

Who are the Martin slurpers that hated Pearl? Does that make you a Pearl slurper?

Seems childish that you want a coach to fail because the previous coached that you loved got fired and some people rejoiced over it. Why not pull for the school no matter who is coach? Or is it such a personal feud that you can't let it go?

VN Store

Back