Bigger bust, Stokes or Hopson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a dash of toughness.

And any sort of ability to play d. I remember he had the most awkward looking defensive stance. He would spread his feet but turn his knees slightly inward toward each other. It was like he was never taught proper technique.

And any sort of ability to play d. I remember he had the most awkward looking defensive stance. He would spread his feet but turn his knees slightly inward toward each other. It was like he was never taught proper technique.

Good point. His lack of toughness probably contributed to his poor defense as well. Defense is about grit and pride. Never really noticed his stance. No doubt he was never taught proper positioning though. He was likely taught indirectly that he didn't need to play defense period. Its a product of the "superstar" treatment we see too often.

he also didn't play the toughest competition in HS so he was able to do a lot based on pure athletic ability. i really feel bad for him because he seemed like a great kid, but was just missing the cliche "it factor" to really be a superstar.

he also didn't play the toughest competition in HS so he was able to do a lot based on pure athletic ability. i really feel bad for him because he seemed like a great kid, but was just missing the cliche "it factor" to really be a superstar.

Agree

Good point. His lack of toughness probably contributed to his poor defense as well. Defense is about grit and pride. Never really noticed his stance. No doubt he was never taught proper positioning though. He was likely taught indirectly that he didn't need to play defense period. Its a product of the "superstar" treatment we see too often.

Grit and pride do factor, but really good defenders are usually pretty athletic. Grit and pride will make you an adequate defender, technique and athletic ability will make you a really great one. I liked hopson personally, did he live up to most fans hype? No, but some times fans expect to much. The kid was an above average player, that played on some really really good UT teams. I appreciate the wins Hopson helped produce while here.

Grit and pride do factor, but really good defenders are usually pretty athletic. Grit and pride will make you an adequate defender, technique and athletic ability will make you a really great one. I liked hopson personally, did he live up to most fans hype? No, but some times fans expect to much. The kid was an above average player, that played on some really really good UT teams. I appreciate the wins Hopson helped produce while here.

Agree. Good ball-player. Good kid too. Represented Tennessee well and he is appreciated by this fan.

Reactions: 1 person

I agree with this. He was an elite athlete that didn't have to try hard to dominate competition on both ends of the floor at the high school level. He was such a good athlete that he didn't even have to play as hard as he could at the SEC level to make two All-SEC teams in his career.

His effort (and bad interviews) led to him not getting drafted. He's got all the physical tools but not the killer instinct that would have made him elite at the college level. Not bashing him. He was a fav of mine while he was here. Hope he makes it to the league.

Both Jarnel and Scotty are/were SEC caliber talents. Proud for both to be called Vols. We will win several games this year through a system that limits opponents scoring. What we are missing this year to go to the next level is a player with the talent/mentality to put a team on his back when we go stretches w/o scoring ala Loften Jajuan T White Wheezy etc.... Jarnell is undersized as a center and although he is a bull he is short to just take over games at the center position. Jorden has the talent and agressivenessbut is too inconsistent. Here's to looking forward to the arrival of Robert Hubbs and return of Jerone Maymon. Go Vols

stokes. just to slow vs double team. would be much better with maymon back. his forte is defense,rebounding and second chance points.

He's only played what a little over half a year of NCAA basketball. How the hell could you call Stokes a bust?

I would like to know what happened to him. He came in mid year as a freshman and played lights out. Nowhe's a shell of former self. Coaching?

I would like to know what happened to him. He came in mid year as a freshman and played lights out. Nowhe's a shell of former self. Coaching?

I think you are seeing why a couple of big men haven't chosen UT. The offensive spacing is horrendous. We get it to him in a place where he can get in triple threat position and then we run a player over to the wing, which brings a defender right to the ball. Bad offensive coaching. Xavier had no problem getting the ball isolated on the block because they cleared the whole side.

Maymon not being there hurts him a ton. People may disagree, but I've been saying forever Maymon is our best player. Now Stokes is being forced in to the role of the man, he needs Maymon to draw the double teams to free him up. I'd like to see Stokes focus on rebounding and let the offense come to him.

I think you are seeing why a couple of big men haven't chosen UT. The offensive spacing is horrendous. We get it to him in a place where he can get in triple threat position and then we run a player over to the wing, which brings a defender right to the ball. Bad offensive coaching. Xavier had no problem getting the ball isolated on the block because they cleared the whole side.

A couple of big men? Who?

AN is the only one I can think of who we had a serious shot at.

A couple of big men? Who?

AN is the only one I can think of who we had a serious shot at.

And you don't think that could be why we don't have serious shots at others?
The spacing is terrible and CCM will have to fight to get big men on campus and convince their coaches and parents that he can put them in positions to get the ball and get them ready for the next level. Stokes' best game was his first game, imo, or at least in his top 3 games, and that's not good. If your spacing is good, double teams mean nothing.

And you don't think that could be why we don't have serious shots at others?
The spacing is terrible and CCM will have to fight to get big men on campus and convince their coaches and parents that he can put them in positions to get the ball and get them ready for the next level. Stokes' best game was his first game, imo, or at least in his top 3 games, and that's not good. If your spacing is good, double teams mean nothing.

Not arguing that at all, just wasn't sure who the couple bigs were you we're referencing that was all.

Phil Cofer is a good big who is leaning UTs way, would be a nice get.

I wonder how much is coaching and how much is just some guys just aren't getting it. Spacing seemed better with the "backups" in for that 8 minute stretch in the 2nd half.

Save it for the end of his career to evaluate. Players can improve over time. Example, Ron Slay. He was mediocre until senior year.

Pg taking control of the team is a big part of the problem too.

Well it was good to see. I am starting to think part of Stokes' issues are frustration with working so hard in the post and then not getting rewarded for it by getting touches. His 2 fouls at the end of the 1st half tonight both looked like a guy frustrated and looking to take it out on someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back