Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fairly new Bersa BP9CC is a great carry gun. Google the reviews on it and you'll find universal praise. Priced much lower than Glock - but right on par in quality.

I'll duck now while the Glockers take shots at me, lol.

Bought my oldest kid a Bersa .380 and it's great. Smooth shooting and very little recoil. The only thing that kept me from buying one for a 2nd carry was the physical safety. Went with the LCP instead.

You need to throw more "gosh darn it" and a couple of "golly jees" into your posts :)

I worked with the former masterbrewer's wife at AEDC. They know Johnny well and when the deal went down with Fulmer replacing Johnny, they were some mad folks over there!

Sry I meant this for BoroVol's post about Johnny Majors

Quick stat...

At Louisville
Petrino won 82% of his games
Strong won 62% of his games

If we are going to spend over $3.5 million on Strong, why not spend less and get Petrino?

Reactions: 2 people
Breathe and relax. When Gruden is announced as our coach he will come to the podium with his new staff in hand and a target list of recruits they are going to get. Gruden is a workaholic and he is taking his time getting everything together and he will hit the ground running. Why keep a lid on things? Well you have two other prominent SEC schools looking for head coaches and other schools looking to fill key coaching positions. The quieter things are kept the less likelihood of there being a bidding war for each coach.

Relax and enjoy the ride.

I am down with that!

And what a ride it has been so far!

Washington DC is a reasonable drive or train ride from New York. Gruden was in DC for the Skins game, Hart was in New York. I'm just saying it's not unrealistic to think maybe one or the other took a 4 hour trip to have a meeting.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm with you. I would love to be proven wrong by Hart. Unlike others, I don't really hold his background against him. I view every new job as a challenge as I am sure he does. Any competitive person does.

My concern is that he has such little experience in this domain, and he is running with the big dogs now.

I question his ability to make the sell and close the deal.

I will say this. If Hart does get this right, I will publicly recant what I have said the last few days.

If not, I hold strong to my hire Blackburn stance.

According to Tony B... early on (and yes I know it's Tony)
Hart does not have Gruden his #1 choice, so he was going to do his own search and pick three people to present to the $$$$$ , they would then compare those three against Gruden... and choose the best of all.

If they do this it is obvious Gruden....

One can only hope :crossfingers:

Now this makes some sense.

Quick stat...

At Louisville

If we are going to spend over $3.5 million on Strong, why not spend less and get Petrino?

Go Big, or Go Cheap, but dont go cheap while thinking you are going big...

Quick stat...

At Louisville

'Cause Petrino is a 5-star dewshbag.

Btw.....I don't like Strong either, but I don't hold a low personal opinion of him.

Reactions: 4 people

'Boro, good to see you posting again. You said a couple of days ago that we were still in the original timeline you heard. Could you expound on that a bit and do you know why the timeline drags into mid to late December? Was it MNF related?

Thanks.

Couple of thoughts I had coming into work this morning regarding Gundy and Strong:

I believe that both have glaring weaknesses in their resumes and neither is a "top-tier hire".

Gundy has more head coaching experience than Strong and plays in a much tougher conference than the Big East. However, Gundy has never even coached in the SEC. Additionally, Gundy has not proven that he can recruit with the big-boys consistently. It should also be noted that Gundy is not known for being defense minded rather he has been a "shoot-out" type coach.

Strong on the other hand has coached and been a coordinator in the SEC. But our enemy to the south, passed over him on two occasions during the HC searches. That point cannot and should not be understated! Foley new first hand what type of coach Strong was inasmuch as Florida basically had an eight year period to evaluate Strong!!! That fact speaks volumes about their position on Strong and clearly Foley was not opposed to hiring a HC without HC experience (Please see Muschamp and Zook)!!! Additionally, Strong has a very small sample as a HC with which to judge him on but his record is 24 and 15 and coaches is a very very weak conference (losing to two teams who have a combined record of 12 and 12).

Both of these candidates do not have star power and neither has a great pedigree which will make it difficult for either to assemble an A+ staff. Frankly I do not believe that either of these coaches can out-recruit or out-coach Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Richt, or Muschamp in the SEC nor do I believe that either are better than Stoops, C kelly, B Kelly, J Fisher, Swinney, Sumlin.

To say the least, neither of these candidates give me any confidence that they would out UT back on the map!!!

Reactions: 2 people
'Cause Petrino is a 5-star dewshbag.

Btw.....I don't like Strong either, but I don't hold a low personal opinion of him.

I don't disagree with that. The guy is no doubt a sleaze bag and comes with all sorts of baggage. My point was just, why are we hiring a guy who came no where close to having the success of a former coach and the former coach is still available to be hired.

I'm just wondering when the dominoes will start to fall.

Kentucky, Purdue, and NCST have all moved on. USF is just starting.

That is it for the little guys.

It seems like between Auburn, Arkansas, and UT, everybody is in the same pool. It is clear that the candidates are sizing up potential offers.

But who will make the first move and when?

Arkansas is baffling to me since they have known for a year that they were going to need a coach. They were first in the pool. We were next, then Auburn.

I suspect that Arky will be the first to pull the trigger, and then things will move very fast from there.

'Boro, good to see you posting again. You said a couple of days ago that we were still in the original timeline you heard. Could you expound on that a bit and do you know why the timeline drags into mid to late December? Was it MNF related?

Thanks.

All I know is that the original timeline that was expressed to me way back in October didn't have us wrapped up until mid to late December. Everything else took place pretty close the benchmarks that I heard then.

I passed all of this along back in JG I or JG II.

Reactions: 1 person
According to Tony B... early on (and yes I know it's Tony)
Hart does not have Gruden his #1 choice, so he was going to do his own search and pick three people to present to the $$$$$ , they would then compare those three against Gruden... and choose the best of all.

If they do this it is obvious Gruden....

One can only hope :crossfingers:

Coasty, do you mean early on today or early on in the process. (I hope it's the latter.)

Couple of thoughts I had coming into work this morning regarding Gundy and Strong:

I believe that both have glaring weaknesses in their resumes and neither is a "top-tier hire".

Gundy has more head coaching experience than Strong and plays in a much tougher conference than the Big East. However, Gundy has never even coached in the SEC. Additionally, Gundy has not proven that he can recruit with the big-boys consistently. It should also be noted that Gundy is not known for being defense minded rather he has been a "shoot-out" type coach.

Strong on the other hand has coached and been a coordinator in the SEC. But our enemy to the south, passed over him on two occasions during the HC searches. That point cannot and should not be understated! Foley new first hand what type of coach Strong was inasmuch as Florida basically had an eight year period to evaluate Strong!!! That fact speaks volumes about their position on Strong and clearly Foley was not opposed to hiring a HC without HC experience (Please see Muschamp and Zook)!!! Additionally, Strong has a very small sample as a HC with which to judge him on but his record is 24 and 15 and coaches is a very very weak conference (losing to two teams who have a combined record of 12 and 12).

Both of these candidates do not have star power and neither has a great pedigree which will make it difficult for either to assemble an A+ staff. Frankly I do not believe that either of these coaches can out-recruit or out-coach Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Richt, or Muschamp in the SEC nor do I believe that either are better than Stoops, C kelly, B Kelly, J Fisher, Swinney, Sumlin.

To say the least, neither of these candidates give me any confidence that they would out UT back on the map!!!

Most honest thing I have heard all morning.

How does this process actually work? He takes his final 3 to the $$$$ and they choose or do they negotiate. Sorry just not sure how this process works

If negotiations with Gruden are still taking place, it's not a bad strategy to let it be known that you (UT) have other options. Otherwise, you are dealing from a position of weakness. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back