Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick stat...

At Louisville
Petrino won 82% of his games
Strong won 62% of his games

If we are going to spend over $3.5 million on Strong, why not spend less and get Petrino?

Excellent stat, and remember the big east ain't what it used to be...no wvu, no va tech, no Miami. I strongly believe if we had hired strong over dooley we would be in a nearly identical position

This search is similiar to when I take my young kids shopping for my wife. They will pick out weird stuff like aTie Dye snuggy, and I will allow them to get it while continuing to shop. Then, I find something better like earrings and let them compare the 2 potential gifts, pat them on the head, commend the cutenes of their effort, and tell them we are getting the earrings but I am taking theem to McDonalds:

The search represnts my shopping trips

I represent the boosters
My kids are Dave Hart
The snuggy is Strong, etc
The earrings are Gruden
McDonalds is=Hart keeping his job

(FTR, I do let them have imput in small gifts. just making a point)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Florida didn't hire strong after zook was fired. Assistant coaches aren't hired when HC are fired. That's isn't being passed over.

When urban left strong was already at Louisville and had just finished his first year. He wasn't on staff to get pasted over

Strong hasn't been pasted over twice by florida!

Fulmer and Majors would disagree.

Reactions: 1 person
Quick stat...

At Louisville
Petrino won 82% of his games
Strong won 62% of his games

If we are going to spend over $3.5 million on Strong, why not spend less and get Petrino?

Petrino inherited a winning program (5 consecutive winning seasons) at L'vile while Strong inherited a dump (3 strait non-winning seasons).

***not an endorsement for Strong, just presenting the facts***

Just asking, but wouldn't locking the JG thread cost the Administrators some money. Looks like it's the most visited thread by far and i thought revenue came from number of visitors. Maybe I'm wrong.

Im just saying, when the dooshes were looking for heads to roll from the OG's, they said to lock the JG thread because it was all "a lie"...must not be too much of a lie or a troll job, because here it is ticking along...

Signed,
All in.

Correct....he was never passed over. He was just never considered.....they blocked his phone number. LOL.

He was interested both times.

I am sure he wanted it both times but there is never an expectation to hire an assistant after the head coach is fired. The second time when urban left is the only thing close to damning for strong but that isn't nearly as bad as most suggest. He had already left florida at that point. If he had still been there then certainly that would have been a clear passing over

I do have one question:

I reading this forum, I have learned that at least four different coaches have a contract in hand. So, how do we know who get's the job?

Do they all just sign them and send them through the USPS and whichever one gets to Hart's desk first gets the job?

Or do they do something like that mudpit scene in the Eastwood movie "Heartbreak Ridge?" If so, I think my money is on Charlie Strong.

No matter what you have heard, nobody has a binding offer letter in hand. They may have an offer in principal which would outline the terms, but almost certainly, any offers being put forth have a contingency based on many factors, including BOT approval.

This is my first post to any forum or chat room or whatever so it's going to be long. Sorry.

I don't know what you all consider a "source",but I believe that the proverbial "smokescreen" is an accurate theory based on a phone conversation with a brother-in-law to a former Vols HC(married to the coach's sister. Not named Kiffin or Dooly!

This man was salesman for a company where i was employed for 6 years. I built a good relationship with him, even to the point of him offering to pay for a college education if i would go back to finish. I say that only show a level of trust and familiarity with one another. Here's how the conversation went after 15 minutes of asking about he and his wife's health and so on.

Me: So what are we to do with our Mighty Vols? We're sinking here.
Him: We have to get a man that will bring top talent. We're losing in state players to our main rivals.
-another line or two concerning talent between us.

Me: What in the world are going to do for a coach?
Him: Well it ain't going to a good one but we'll hear no later than next Mon. Hart is in NY right now at the conference but should be end of this week or next Mon.
Me: I don't see good talent coming without a good one. It is shame we let Gruden fall through like we did.

Him: Uh...yeah...i....i hate to...i can't...I would hate for you to quote me.
Me: Oh....ok.
Him: Buddy boy it was great hearing from you got to go.

That being said I'll tell you this man is never at a loss for words. Unless he's frustrated or nervous or mad. I believe i caught him of guard and he bottled. The call was over less than a minute after the question.

My opinion is that if he knew anything about a coach(not a good one) he would have elaborated if there were no swirling controversy. Furthermore, if the Gruden deal fell through cleanly he would have confirmed whatever story was put out there!

as i said this man is a brother-in-law to former Vols HC and he played football there circa 1970. He knows. SMOKESCREEN!!!!

GRUDEN OR BUST BABY
ROCKY TOP!

I really appreciate you coming in and finishing that off for us. Welcome to the board and in particular the best thread.

Thanks Boro for the info again. I thought I somewhat remembered the original timeline being mid December from the early threads. It sucks to have to wait especially when we are all impatient and want to know who are new coach is now. At least I do. But if Gruden is announced then it will be worth waiting a bit longer. I still believe!:D

The fairly new Bersa BP9CC is a great carry gun. Google the reviews on it and you'll find universal praise. Priced much lower than Glock - but right on par in quality.

I'll duck now while the Glockers take shots at me, lol.

I bought the Bersa Thunder 380 and I really like it. It is abou the most accurate handgun I have ever shot right out of the box.

Im just saying, when the dooshes were looking for heads to roll from the OG's, they said to lock the JG thread because it was all "a lie"...must not be too much of a lie or a troll job, because here it is ticking along...

Signed,
All in.

Funny thing is, if you go to the recruiting forum, most of them lurk over here a lot. They talk about how we are in constant meltdown. They know there's something wrong with the picture they're seeing. :)

All I know is that the original timeline that was expressed to me way back in October didn't have us wrapped up until mid to late December. Everything else took place pretty close the benchmarks that I heard then.

I passed all of this along back in JG I or JG II.

Do you think DD screwed up the plan by not making a bowl to buy time?

Hart need to close the deal on JG. I am at the point of giving out free hand**** at the Tennessee Welcome Center if he closes this deal!

Reactions: 2 people
I am sure he wanted it both times but there is never an expectation to hire an assistant after the head coach is fired. The second time when urban left is the only thing close to damning for strong but that isn't nearly as bad as most suggest. He had already left florida at that point. If he had still been there then certainly that would have been a clear passing over
Assistants get hired all the time when HC's are fired.

Phil Fulmer, Jumbo Fisher, et al.

There is a reason Charlie Strong was never considered at UF....and his head coaching record in a lackluster conference backs it up.

He very well may end up here, but if he does we'll regret it in short order.

Reactions: 8 people
Thanks Boro for the info again. I thought I somewhat remembered the original timeline being mid December from the early threads. It sucks to have to wait especially when we are all impatient and want to know who are new coach is now. At least I do. But if Gruden is announced then it will be worth waiting a bit longer. I still believe!:D

I think at this point, after friday, I realized I spent too much time here worrying about things I cant control, and missed out on family time etc. So now, I am here mostly when at work because I have a computer up all day, and I have learned to relax and let it be...my wife and kids are happier for it...

It either will or wont be Gruden...in the meantime chillax...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back