Official Jon Gruden Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
He would with most. The vocal minority is just that. The minority. If the fan base can get behind Dooley, they will get behind Strong. Over half of the people that say they will give up if he is hired, will be there supporting him come first game time

Win and dare I say Jon Who?

Dave Hart will be to landing Gruden what James Wilhoit was to beating Florida in 2004. Goat to hero. Wilhoit's miss was an accident, though. Smoke and mirrors. And I'm not buying that Dave Hart is so inept as to just realize this morning there were "rumors" going around. "Courtesy call?" Here's my call: BS.

No "inside sources" here, just common sense. The craziest thing about today is how quickly the majority of folks have dismissed the possibility of Gruden still coming to UT. And based on what? A statement from Gruden's agent, and another statement from another "unnamed source"" (a UT employee who wasn't supposed to say anything so he had to speak anonymously)?

I read the quote from Gruden's agent in the KNS. Are they the only organization he spoke to? And if so, did KNS call him or did he call KNS?

Was Ron Higgins duped by a source a while back when he tweeted of a major deal being planned to present to Gruden?

Was Glenn Carver stupid enough to base his report (Brown ownership stake) based on some second hand or internet message board? Ditto for Steven Hargis.

But move on folks, nothing to see here. Hyams and KNS said so, based on their "inside sources" which I'm guessing to be UTAD folks spinning for their own benefit.

Just my two cents. Flame away.

To add to my previous post, I offer exhibits A and B for your consideration in this matter:

EXHIBIT A

Knoxville News Sentinel

Published online November 30, 2012

Headline: As Jon Gruden drama ends, focus shifts to other Tennessee candidates

"Tennessee fans expecting the Vols to lure former NFL coach Jon Gruden from his lucrative television gig had their hopes stamped out Friday.

"Gruden's longtime agent called the idea of his client taking a job at Tennessee "fantasy." A source close to Tennessee's search said the Vols had moved on to other candidates.

"The details of the flirtation between Gruden and Tennessee, and the extent of interest on either side, may never be fully known. One thing is clear after a zany Friday: The Super Bowl-winning coach who had captivated Tennessee fans for months won't be coming to Knoxville."

EXHIBIT B

Knoxville News Sentinel

Published online January 14, 2010

Headline: Cutcliffe forming staff to return to UT

"Duke University head football coach David Cutcliffe is assembling a coaching staff in anticipation of becoming the head coach at the University of Tennessee, a source close to the negotiations told the News Sentinel late Thursday.

"When asked about Cutcliffe, UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said via text message that the university was still in the interviewing phase of the process and that no offer had been made to anyone.

"Although Cutcliffe is assembling a staff, the deal has not been finalized. An agreement could be reached as early as today, but Cutcliffe, 55, has let loyalty to his assistants affect his career decisions in the past."

Zany indeed, boys. Zany indeed.

Reactions: 1 person
My gosh! He didn't really ask you who Dale Jones is did he? Wow, I really am old.

Really! For me the answer would have been "classmate," "fellow alum," and "guy I almost got into a bar fight with."**

**Monday nights at Ivy's were something...

No doubt at all he would be great, I would love to have him here. I won't give up on it until Hart introduces someone else, but I don't see Hart getting it done.

As for recruiting I think Fisher, Gundy, and Strong would all be great. Any of those three would put us in a great spot to land Green, Bell, Ramsey, and North this year.

this is what i dont understand... every other program who fired their HC is openly talking to candidates... why arent we? Im soooo nervous that Hart is going to screw us over.

I know..I just am afeared that he couldn't overcome the divided, toxic cloud hanging over evrything now. He would get no patience whatsoever.

I wouldn't immediately be thrilled with Strong, but I would definitely get behind him and look at his tenure with objectivity rather than just jumping on the first "fire Strong" bandwagon that came along.

I just feel like we need a big name to get recruits... thats why im on the gruden bandwagon... not to mention he completely cracks me up.

I'm sorry but I need to put this out there for everyone

Yes, Jon Gruden would undoubtedly bring in some solid talent that would mold into very solid players at the Tennessee. But what has really, really bugged me about this whole thing is people wanting Jon Gruden without really knowing what Jon Gruden brings to the table

Gruden would be a great coach at the college level. And I can say that with as much confidence as I can possibly throw out there. Gruden would be an OUTSTANDING coach. Not because he would bring in all the big name recruits, but because of this one reason: Jon Gruden LOVES to teach the game of football. He is obsessed with it. He's an insomniac perfectionist that likes to pass on his knowledge so that others may succeed.

I cannot stress enough how much of a passion he has for teaching the game. It is one of the biggest reasons he wants to coach at the college level. Taking his biggest desire and the fact that he can, and has done, it well makes me think, "Give him as much power as he wants. This guy is going to produce purebreds in a population of mongrels".

If you disagree with me, please tell.....actually, no. Don't. Save the time

Reactions: 5 people
Dont know why I listened. Those guys that call that show are being made fun of and dont even know it. On top of that, they go out of their way to praise Hyams and crew. When the guy asked said UT should hire Hyams and crew instead of a search firm, I almost fell out of the chair. I wont make an effort to call, ever, but I am amazed a caller will never address how offensive the (especially Pennington) are. He started the segment with the over the top southern accent while fake crying

YES YES YES a thousand time YES! I'm glad to find like minded people in this thread that don't settle for living in the matrix that is created by our local sports media around here.

I'll say this, what is going on may not be so bad is someone like Fisher is indeed in play. Listen, Hart absolutely has to do his due diligence on this. There are other big names that would be good hires. No one comes close to the splash that is Jon Gruden, but honestly, there are a few names that could assemble almost as good a staff and that has much more experience on this level than Gruden. Sure they won't recruit out of the park like Gruden from day one, but a guy like Fisher could hold is own recruiting at Tennessee. He would be a huge upgrade from anything else we've had here the past 5 years.

Plus, a guy like Fisher is a lot less risky than Gruden with a pretty big upside in his own right. IMO, a coach like Fisher stabilizes the program more than Gruden, who might jump ship at any time. I love Gruden and hope its ultimately him, but if you are Hart, you don't at least check out a couple other guys. Someone like Haslam recognizes this. If you can get Fisher or the like for 4 million and a total package of 8 million with staff, plus not have to deal with control issues that could be costly, you have to at least consider it before you turn over the fate of the entire AD to an egomaniac like Gruden who has little to no experience in the NCAA.

So, take a few days to finish the due diligence and let Fisher play his game all the while Gruden collects his TB money. See what's there and then decide whether to cave to Gruden or let him walk all the while you find out if Gruden really wants the job in the first place. As much as I love Gruden, last thing we need is for him to do this for a year, find out its not for him, and then bolt back to the NFL. IMO, this is the one big risk with him.

He would with most. The vocal minority is just that. The minority. If the fan base can get behind Dooley, they will get behind Strong. Over half of the people that say they will give up if he is hired, will be there supporting him come first game time

After watching the PAC 12 tonight, I would love to get Shaw, but no way it happens. I'm good with Strong especially considering what he walked into.

New rumor. After successfully hiring a new coach Dave Hart will retire. He apparently has a passion for taxidermy.

badly-stuffed-animals-1.jpg

I believe I would be in that lot.

To add to my previous post, I offer exhibits A and B for your consideration in this matter:

EXHIBIT A

Knoxville News Sentinel

Published online November 30, 2012

Headline: As Jon Gruden drama ends, focus shifts to other Tennessee candidates

"Tennessee fans expecting the Vols to lure former NFL coach Jon Gruden from his lucrative television gig had their hopes stamped out Friday.

"Gruden's longtime agent called the idea of his client taking a job at Tennessee "fantasy." A source close to Tennessee's search said the Vols had moved on to other candidates.

"The details of the flirtation between Gruden and Tennessee, and the extent of interest on either side, may never be fully known. One thing is clear after a zany Friday: The Super Bowl-winning coach who had captivated Tennessee fans for months won't be coming to Knoxville."

EXHIBIT B

Knoxville News Sentinel

Published online January 14, 2010

Headline: Cutcliffe forming staff to return to UT

"Duke University head football coach David Cutcliffe is assembling a coaching staff in anticipation of becoming the head coach at the University of Tennessee, a source close to the negotiations told the News Sentinel late Thursday.

"When asked about Cutcliffe, UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said via text message that the university was still in the interviewing phase of the process and that no offer had been made to anyone.

"Although Cutcliffe is assembling a staff, the deal has not been finalized. An agreement could be reached as early as today, but Cutcliffe, 55, has let loyalty to his assistants affect his career decisions in the past."

Zany indeed, boys. Zany indeed.

someone who read that...please break it down for us tired folk

this is what i dont understand... every other program who fired their HC is openly talking to candidates... why arent we? Im soooo nervous that Hart is going to screw us over.

I think we start hearing more Sunday and Monday, but Hart trying to do everything by himself is why it is so quiet. I'm not going to be comfortable until something is announced.

Sorry bro.

Money makes it tolerable. Had a conference call today. I was on my home phone, and was texting back with my team driver while people were talking. We were making fun of people and then I let out a earth shattering burp because he dared me. The chick hosting the call immediately shut up and didn't talk for 5 seconds after my belch. I have fun, just wanna be home more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back