Stoops contacted...

God if I see this one more time. You people are morons... Do you not realize that Oakland and Tampa Bay are historically 2 of the worst run programs in the league. Someone who gets a winning record at both those places is doing something right.

And the NFL IS NOT COLLEGE!! A .500 record in the NFL is much better than a .500 record in college. In the NFL, you don't get to pad your schedule with the Georgia States, and the Akrons of the world... Every single game you play is a league game, with the same salary cap as you, with essentially just as talented of a team as you. That's what the NFL is all about.. PARITY. No win is a guarantee in the NFL.

So quit with the whole notion that if a guy goes 500 in the league that he'll go 500 in college. It's an instant red flag for being a moron.

Much the same way that a Gruden hire is no guarantee that UT will be back to playing for SEC championships. He is a risk on the college level. UT may decide to hire him. If they do, he will have the fanbase support no doubt. How long that support lasts, depends on alot of things.

OU friend of mine mentioned this on fb yesterday. apparently some of their boards are discussing this. still baffles me as to why he would want to come here

Hasn't it been said in years past that OU doesn't want to upgrade their facility and that's why Stoops has been upset?

Hasn't it been said in years past that OU doesn't want to upgrade their facility and that's why Stoops has been upset?

i have no clue. same guy also made a Tee Martin (HC) suggestion for us, so I discounted most of what he said, honestly

The true idiocy of the fanbase shows when people still want a hack NFL coach who says some semi-smart things on TV over one of the best college coaches in the nation. Not that it matters, because neither is coming to Knoxville.

Specially when he can't beat the SEC with his best squads with Bradford on them. I want to see gruden play out first before we hire big loser Bob.

Big loser Bob's teams have finished in the top ten 8 out of the last 12 years and he makes close to 5 million a year. He must be doing something right. There are no perfect coaches that go undefeated every year. Gruden is a bigger risk then Bob Stoops would be.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want Stoops? His teams are competitive year after year and he has put a ton of players in the NFL. He already knows how to recruit in Texas and Oklahoma also. He's as much a homerun as Gruden.

There are going to be some disappointed Fans when they realize no elite HC from a winning program is leaving to come to UT. It will be someone from and up an coming school that looks at UT as a step up. No coach is making a lateral move to come into the SEC. As for Gruden the man signed a lucrative contract with ESPN last year. Why would he give that up to go into a situation so unpredictable as coaching again?

Logically I would say your right but you never know for sure. Timing is everything and there may be someone out there like say a Bob Stoops that wants a new challenge. Maybe someone like Patterson wants to validate his career by going against the best coaches and teams in college football. Most coaches probably want to avoid the SEC while a select few may see it as a challenge. I do agree that most Vol fans are being unrealistic with their expectations. I don't think we have to back up the brinks truck to find a coach that can do a great job here. If the brinks truck hire would guarantee NC's fine but it doesn't.

Stoops pay comes in just slightly above $4mil. He's at number #3 on the list behind Saban and Mack Brown.

FWIW....
#2 - Saban at Bama - $4.6mil
#5 - Les Miles at LSU - $3.7mi
#7 - Bobby Petrino at Arkansas - $3.6mil
#8 - Gene Chizik at Auburn - $3.5mil
#10 - Will Muschamp at Florida - $3.2mil
#11 - Mark Richt at Georgia - $2.9mil
#12 - Steve Spurrier at S.C - $2.8mil
#15 - Houston Nutt at Ole Miss - $2.7mil
#19 - Dan Mullen at Miss St - $2.5mil

Top 20 Highest Paid CF Coaches
The 20 Highest-Paid Coaches In College Football - Business Insider

Notice how many SEC Schools are in that list? And money doesn't buy wins either. FWIW...
#6 - Kirk Ferentz at Iowa - $3.7mil
#13 - Chip Kelly at Oregon - $2.8mil
#14 - Bo Pelini at Neb - $2.77mil

Stoops pay comes in just slightly above $4mil. He's at number #3 on the list behind Saban and Mack Brown.

FWIW....

Notice how many SEC Schools are in that list? And money doesn't buy wins either. FWIW...

It's a bit of a technicality but your using old figures. Saban is the highest paid coach now. He is making 5.32 million this year and that will increase to 5.97 million by 2019. Bob Stoops has a contract that will pay him an average of $4.92 million over the next 7 years. That salary doesn't include any bonuses. Stoops actually made 6.1 million in 2008 due to a longevity bonus he received. By comparison the very top NFL coaches make 7-7.5 million with 5 million about average. Gruden would likely command a salary in 6-7 million range if he returned to the NFL. It would be insane for UT to make Gruden the highest paid coach in college football.

FWIW....

I say go for Chiizhickk.
At least Hire him to Recruit JUCO guys.

Carlos from VQ said he just got a text stating that Stoops was stepping down at Okie. Here's the quotes from VQ...

Re: Is Stoops stepping down at OU? Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tuckw:
Seriously? Where are you hearing that?
On Monday Stoops said publically that he wants to "keep his job at OU".

I saw that too....just passing what heard...i dont know if its true or not...but I got text about it...

I know you can't name specific people, but is there any way you could explain, in general, where this rumor is coming from?

People who are familiar with OU program....I dont know anything about OU at all......but I know this person has connections to OU program...just thought I would ask people to see if they may have heard about this.....I tend to not believe it and at this point but this person texted me because they know I am a Vol fan...and there could be a correlation...I wouldnt get excited about it yet... I have no way to confirm..

It's a strange coincidence that Larry confirmed Hart in Okie and now this... JMO. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Carlos, is the person who texted you someone who you trust or someone that is just pulling your leg?

The person who sent me the text is someone I can trust...now do I think they made it up...no...do I think something is going on...IDK....they wouldnt have a reason to share that with me....unless there may be a Tennessee twist to it.

The person did mention that by coaching in the SEC you could still lose a game and make it to NC game...and maybe some issues with OU boosters etc..they didnt elaborate on anything else...

- More from Carlos on VQ

Rather have STRONG than Stoops for the long term, STRONG can win big here if was given the chance, so lets go get him before somebody else comes first like Auburn.

Rather have STRONG than Stoops for the long term, STRONG can win big here if was given the chance, so lets go get him before somebody else comes first like Auburn.

I don't want Strong. I Haven't been impressed by him at all. People you keep forgetting that Florida could've hired Strong as their coach TWICE. The 2nd time they went with a guy that had no HC exp. He was a DC just like Strong. I don't want Florida's rejects.

People who say "can't beat the SEC" when talking about coaches outside of the SEC need to realize they don't get SEC talent(well, not a lot of it, anyway) outside of the SEC...

Top tier Big 12 talent is < SEC top tier talent.

Also Oklahoma and OK state both have games tomorrow. I just can't see them meeting two days before a game. Why not wait until sunday?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back