Official Jon Gruden Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things to keep in mind...

1. Jon Gruden is a PRO football coach. Period. I feel good about our chances at this time of landing him unless something changes, but even IF we do he will eventually leave us to go back and coach men.

2. Gruden is well known for his intense coaching style which has even scared the crap out of grown men. I can't imagine how 18-19 year old kids will take one or more of his blow ups...

3. IF he doesn't come it is in no way anyone's fault but Gruden's... He's known our position and had an offer to accept before anyone else, so IF someone else (Jimbo Fisher) were hired instead let's get excited b/c that man (and several others who are interested in the job) are great coaches and can lead us where we need to go.

4. We've put the all out press on Gruden and there's not much more we can do at this point... We've had former greats (Majors, Fulmer, Manning) reach out to him, we've thrown a record contract offer at him, we've layed out the red carpet about as thick as it can possibly be layed out, but we still have a program to think about and cannot wait on this man forever.

5. We will know one way or the other by Sunday if I had to guess right now. I hope we get Gruden, but if we don't and it's a Fisher or someone else I can live with that all day.

I've thought about these things. His name will certainly come up every time there is a coaching vacancy in the NFL.

However, I think that he would go pro now if he really wanted to. If he's coming to Tennessee, it must be a personal decision as much as a professional one. That's why I think he would stick around a little while - at least until his kids are done with school. And during that period, I would hope that he returns Tennessee to prominence and subsequent coaching searches would involve the cream of the crop candidates.

As for his coaching style... it still is of a little concern to me how he would transition to the college game. I think it's definitely easier as opposed to going from college to pros, but it's still an unknown.

I did this one last year for them.

168217BC-A08C-4B70-84E4-4034BE19E9F7-4785-0000045090ABCA7C.jpg

Wow! :clap:I'd say you have a bit of talent there ma' boy!

Reactions: 2 people
I'll repeat this from yesterday. I have known Gus Coogler for about 30 years. He is Jimbo's father-in-law. I have known Candy (Coogler) Fisher since she was a very little girl. Gus lives about 100 yds from me. He was at the house yesterday and said, " Jimbo will only go to Auburn IF the money is right. If not he will stay at FSU."

Reactions: 3 people
Stoops is the DC and he went to Kentucky. Not sure, but my initial guess is he went there to become Head Coach, not necessarily because the staff if coming apart. It it was a result of Fisher leaving, why wouldn't he consider going with Fisher or seeing if he is considered for the FSU job?

The OC for FSU is James Coley. He's been offered the same position by Stoops at Kentucky, but haven't seen if he has accepted. I'm guessing Fisher isn't too keen on the poaching of his staff, but he may have been thinking of replacing him anyway. Don't know, but it's a possibility.

None of the above moves necessarily indicate they are results of Fisher leaving to go to UT or Auburn. Sounds to me like it has more to do with Stoops going to Kentucky than anything.

The more I think about it, these sorts of moves indicate Fisher is staying more than anything.

Thanks, this is the type of discussion and piecing of the puzzle I was looking for.

ESPN finally acknowledging something is going on, Gruden addressing situation but not saying no= HUGE BOOM.gotta be getting close to going down.

I'll repeat this from yesterday. I have known Gus Coogler for about 30 years. He is Jimbo's father-in-law. I have known Candy (Coogler) Fisher since she was a very little girl. Gus lives about 100 yds from me. He was at the house yesterday and said, " Jimbo will on go to Auburn IF the money is right. If not he will stay at FSU."

I had also forgotten you said this yesterday. Much appreciated.

Whoa, hold up - definitely not letting Hamilton off the hook! He's the primary reason we're in the mess we are.... Sexton was only a facilitator IMO.

guys.. listen.. its simple.. sexton is an agent.. its about money.. like a lawyer.. even though your client is guilty its a JOB.. sexton brought the clients.. hamilton MADE the decision.. this is what fred is trying to say..damn

Why? Because we went after the best out there? No shame in that if we get turned down. Shows we are going all out to win
Right on! I'd rather be able to say we were all in and made the play for a Grand Slam Hire, but; it didn't pan out. I honestly feel that's better than the alternative.:thumbsup:

I'll repeat this from yesterday. I have known Gus Coogler for about 30 years. He is Jimbo's father-in-law. I have known Candy (Coogler) Fisher since she was a very little girl. Gus lives about 100 yds from me. He was at the house yesterday and said, " Jimbo will only go to Auburn IF the money is right. If not he will stay at FSU."

Can't get much closer than that.

I've thought about these things. His name will certainly come up every time there is a coaching vacancy in the NFL.

However, I think that he would go pro now if he really wanted to. If he's coming to Tennessee, it must be a personal decision as much as a professional one. That's why I think he would stick around a little while - at least until his kids are done with school. And during that period, I would hope that he returns Tennessee to prominence and subsequent coaching searches would involve the cream of the crop candidates.

As for his coaching style... it still is of a little concern to me how he would transition to the college game. I think it's definitely easier as opposed to going from college to pros, but it's still an unknown.
As long as he stays for at least three recruiting classes, it would not matter if he leaves for an NFL gig. By that time, either on of his assistants will emerge as the hier apparent or the roster will be solid enough that people will be knocking the door down trying to get the job.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back