Official Jon Gruden Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greeny is a freaking joke, I'm sorry. The biggest evidence of that is how he covered the Tiger Woods story, which was basically to try and not about it so Woods would come back on M&M when the dust settled for an interview where he said nothing at all (like always).

He didn't follow-up with Gruden at all, a guy who has family ties to TN, let Greenburg asked nothing else. He's a guy that ESPN can control completely, which is why he is in his position.

This is sort of my point. He is legit in the he knows what he SHOULD ask, yet he didn't.

Perhaps then you and I agree that he didn't follow up because he was either told not to or was protecting some other interest?

God this sounds aweful, but I work with a guy who has been a but UT supporter for 20 years. I asked him this morning if he has heard anything about Gruden. He said that he was told that Hart already "has his man". He was also given the impression that "his man" was Butch Jones. Take it for what it's worth. We'll find out soon enough. I hope this is wrong.

I doubt we get Gruden, but we need to do better than Jones.

I've been supporting UT for 30 years

I still don't know crap about what's going on

Reactions: 1 person
The NFL thing sounds red-tapey. Maybe that part isn't true.

or maybe that part wasnt meant to be public at this time, and still wasnt hammered down (thru UT officials/NCAA/NFL offices) - and it was a nice long term caveat to the contract. . So a good last minute way to try and mess the deal up.

Yeah, maybe the other guys are right, Sexton is the source, which makes sense... but seriously, it had to be something concrete to report a deal that bizarre, they are a news station with reputation at risk.

It's Memphis. That's all needed to be said

This is absolutely, positively 100 PERCENT believable.

Sexton has been playing UT for YEARS.

Hold on now... That's a VERY strong and bold statement.

Let's look at the facts here:

1. Jimmy Sexton graduated and was a manager at UT

2. His entire family bleeds orange

3. Any decisions he's made in getting us a football coach have been business first, which is how you operate a business. Period.

4. I can assure you that no one loves TN more or bleeds a truer shade of orange than Mr. Sexton and his family for that matter.

This notion that he has somehow "played" this program by pushing his guys here is comical. Jimmy didn't make Mike Hamilton choose Dooley over Sumlin. Or make Mike Hamilton choose Kiffin over Kelly, Hamilton made BOTH of those decisions. You cannot fault a businessman for pushing his clients into positions of prominence.

Reactions: 3 people
I still believe it's Gruden but I still have my doubts.

My "Gruden is coming" thoughts are thus....

1. I can understand why Gruden would not put rumors "to bed" because any rumor is just leverage for him to use to get the biggest contract possible.
2. Gruden may give a superficial and insincere "denial" on Mike and Mike, but that should be expected. Almost all coaches deny rumors before they become facts. Gruden would never put a legitimate statement out that said that a deal with Tennessee is 100% not true.
3. the only reason this hasnt been announced is because Gruden needs to wait to announce it (for any number of speculated reasons). Tennessee has no reason to wait. The season is over and Dooley has been fired. Recruiting needs to be handled ASAP and if Tennessee were really not intending to get Gruden, they would be best served to get out in front of the rumors right away and just kill the idea.
4. Tennessee is just waiting til the SECCG to make a "big media splash". This is the least believable idea because it just seems to serve no real purpose.

My "Gruden is NOT coming" thoughts are thus....

1. Gruden may be genuinely interested (or not) in the UT job, but UT is only interested in Gruden for the "right price". UT may be in talks with Gruden just to say they "tried", but in the end it didnt work out and that's why it took so long to announce.
2. The reason there has been no announcement yet is because the guy Tennessee wants to hire is still coaching in a conference championship game. I put a lot of stock in this notion because a few of the guys being named as possible coaches are still coaching their teams this weekend.

Not an insider and never claimed to be. I have posted about my uncle and some of the connections he has but I am a pastor and one of the members of our church who runs a large non profit organization sent me a fb message today just stating that he knows the Gruden deal is done and will be announced soon. He does have wealthier people that give to his ministry as part of tax donations of course and he just recently met Shaq here in town and sent me the picture as Shaq got his business card to possibly donate as well. Shaq has nothing to do with the coaching search...haha. It's just I know he could possibly know something. One of those guys who seems to bump into rich people everywhere...lol. Just sharing the info

The clergyman has spoken.

Hold on now... That's a VERY strong and bold statement.

Let's look at the facts here:

1. Jimmy Sexton graduated and was a manager at UT

2. His entire family bleeds orange

3. Any decisions he's made in getting us a football coach have been business first, which is how you operate a business. Period.

4. I can assure you that no one loves TN more or bleeds a truer shade of orange than Mr. Sexton and his family for that matter.

This notion that he has somehow "played" this program by pushing his guys here is comical. Jimmy didn't make Mike Hamilton choose Dooley over Sumlin. Or make Mike Hamilton choose Kiffin over Kelly, Hamilton made BOTH of those decisions. You cannot fault a businessman for pushing his clients into positions of prominence.

I know I'm getting off track here, but did Brian Kelly actually want to come here?

Jimmy-Sexton.jpg

Boss_Hogg.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
If Butch Jones becomes coach, they should burn the stadium to the ground...

Having said that, I am all in on Gruden...as have been for several weeks...

This coaching search thing is turning into a world war. The SEC is dragging everybody into this. Fun to watch. Arkansas will offer Phil Jackson a contract next hoping he'll bring Kobe, Shaq, and Jordan along as recruiters.

Reactions: 1 person
Something you guys should also consider about Gruden is the fact that, if for some god forsaken reason Sean Payton goes to Dallas, New Orleans would need to hire a splash coach to replace him. They are already offering to pay Sean approximately 8 million a year. The rumors are that if Sean bolts to Dallas, New Orleans will push hard for Gruden. If I were Gruden, I'd want to see how that played out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back