Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hubbs said Gruden was just talking to Steele about football philosophy, he has no reason to believe it had anything to do about putting a staff together or Tennessee.

So Gruden just wanting to pick Steele's football mind apart for his own personal edification. Makes sense.

Reactions: 4 people
Question:

Has a CFB HC ever been fired after taking a team from a losing record one year to a bowl victory the next year?

If so, what about 2 losing records followed by a bowl victory?

Found these:
Tom Wilson (aTm) - fired after 4 seasons, one losing season 1980, bowl win 1981; replaced by Jackie Sherrill

Rich Rodriguez (Mich) - 2 losing records followed by bowl loss

Ty Willingham (ND) -1 losing record followed by bowl loss

Frank Solich (Neb) - fired before bowl game after going 7-7 the year before (really brought Nebraska down during his 6 years with only bowl win against UT)

Jim Donnan (UGA) - fired after 4 consective bowl victories, and fired after first win over Vols in a decade.

edit/note: the Tom Wilson coaching career ended after an Independence Bowl victory - could be an interesting parallel if that's where UT ends up this year.

Last edited:
So then why put that info out in the first place .......

Why would Hubbs even mention this then?

A poster on VQ said that Kevin Steele mentioned he has talked w/ Gruden recently, Hubbs mentioned that it was true but he believes it was over football philosophy & had nothing to do w/ the Tennessee job. That's why Hubbs mentioned it.

A poster on VQ said that Kevin Steele mentioned he has talked w/ Gruden recently, Hubbs mentioned that it was true but he believes it was over football philosophy & had nothing to do w/ the Tennessee job. That's why Hubbs mentioned it.

I read that on VQ and thought it was a rather benign comment by Hubbs. But I guess it's exciting enough for 400 pages of posts over here.

People see and hear what they want to see and hear, I guess.

I read that on VQ and thought it was a rather benign comment by Hubbs. But I guess it's exciting enough for 400 pages of posts over here.

People see and hear what they want to see and hear, I guess.

if someone was asking hubbs then i get the point, if he is interjecting his two cents when someone is just talking about something then that leads me to suggest otherwise.

I posted this in the ff but wanted to see what you guys here think about this.

Just saw where UT's defense ranks dead last in the sec in scoring defense (42.2ppg), rushing defense (226.2 ypg), pass defense (296.4 ypg), & total defense (566.2 ypg).

UT is also 13th in the league in time of possession (26:13).

After seeing the time of possession stat along with the defensive stats I couldn't help but wonder if maybe the coaches should've slowed down the hurry up offense to help the defense out a little bit.

What do you guys think about this?

Should we have slowed things down on offense (at least in certain situations or vs certain teams) to keep the defense on the sideline a little longer?

OR

Did we do the right thing by staying with the hurry up & trying to out score every opponent?

I remember Dooley talking about how he put a lot of thought into offensive philosophy in the off season. Should he have adjusted to slow things down after seeing the defense get shredded week
after week?

Steele spoke to the Knoxville QB Club today. From what I heard, he said that the Vols are running the same defensive schemes that Florida, Georgia, and Alabama run but we just do not have the talent that those programs have that allows them to be successful.

Steele spoke to the Knoxville QB Club today. From what I heard, he said that the Vols are running the same defensive schemes that Florida, Georgia, and Alabama run but we just do not have the talent that those programs have that allows them to be successful.

you think he would be interested in a job here?

I posted this in the ff but wanted to see what you guys here think about this.

Just saw where UT's defense ranks dead last in the sec in scoring defense (42.2ppg), rushing defense (226.2 ypg), pass defense (296.4 ypg), & total defense (566.2 ypg).

UT is also 13th in the league in time of possession (26:13).

After seeing the time of possession stat along with the defensive stats I couldn't help but wonder if maybe the coaches should've slowed down the hurry up offense to help the defense out a little bit.

What do you guys think about this?

Should we have slowed things down on offense (at least in certain situations or vs certain teams) to keep the defense on the sideline a little longer?

OR

Did we do the right thing by staying with the hurry up & trying to out score every opponent?

I remember Dooley talking about how he put a lot of thought into offensive philosophy in the off season. Should he have adjusted to slow things down after seeing the defense get shredded week
after week?

Could be, but I think it's just a matter of the defense not being able to get off the field. Like the MSU game and the SC game. The offense doesn't convert on 3rd down enough and the defense gives up too many 3rd downs.

Should be coached better than last in the league IMO.

For those looking for just pure info on the Gruden/coaching situation there is a cliffnotes thread in the coaching and rumors forum. It's nothing but info... At least for now. That way u don't have to suffer through the Gruden thread lol

Nothing new. Lots of rumors, but nothing concrete. Hart is quiet with things. He's visiting with Dooley. He's fighting with Cheek over things.

Cheek won't be involved in any decisions on a coach in my opinion.

-Hubbs

Reactions: 1 person

I've been trying to tell ppl this for the past 2 months.

Reactions: 1 person
What is zook DC experience? It would be nasty to bring back Chavis as DC, Steele as lb, and zook as DBS and rc

zook knows defense he brought in charlie strong as DC at UF before he was well known and fedora as OC lol funny how that didnt workout he really did get 2 great coordinators

Nothing will happen to after the KY game and that is what I was told last night. And no I am not getting this from the Gruden IV thread. I saw it was over there.

Not only talent but play calling and kids being new to the system makes a difference. All 3 of those teams have kids that have been in that system for a few years which allows you to open the playbook even more.

did I mention that the DC hasnt called plays since the
90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back