Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen folks say Zook for DC on VQ. Anyone see Hubbs confirm Gruden has talked to Zook or is that just speculation?

Zook as DC and Steele as LB coach would be fine with me.

Reactions: 2 people
I've seen folks say Zook for DC on VQ. Anyone see Hubbs confirm Gruden has talked to Zook or is that just speculation?

Zook as DC and Steele as LB coach would be fine with me.

Yes with me too. And they could recruit like hell too. That's two headhunters on the recruiting trail. If he keeps Jay Graham around that would make three.

I'll throw this out there then, given the current names that are being discussed for DC.

How would you guys rank the following as DC's (yes, I am aware there are current HC's on the list):

1. Zook
2. Steele
3. Ellis Johnson
4. Charlie Strong
5. Justin Wilcox

Johnson and Strong, IMO, were the two best DC's in the SEC over the last 10-15 years. (Chavis could be thrown in there too)

Smart is good, don't get me wrong, but working with an NFL JV team will do a lot as far as your perception of their ability.

I just listed Wilcox to have something comparable with UT.

Dude.....remember him playing CBs 10 yards off of Julio when Julio hadn't caught a college ball in a game yet. Just crazy.....

Unfortunately, I was at that game. Clemson's fans had the GA Dome rocking as a result of their jumping up and down until... Then they were like :cray:

I'll throw this out there then, given the current names that are being discussed for DC.

How would you guys rank the following as DC's (yes, I am aware there are current HC's on the list):

1. Zook
2. Steele
3. Ellis Johnson
4. Charlie Strong
5. Justin Wilcox

Johnson and Strong, IMO, were the two best DC's in the SEC over the last 10-15 years. (Chavis could be thrown in there too)

Smart is good, don't get me wrong, but working with an NFL JV team will do a lot as far as your perception of their ability.

I just listed Wilcox to have something comparable with UT.

Smart has proven nothing. No DC under Nick Saban will get any credit from me until he does it somewhere else.

Muschamp was one of the best DCs in this league. Chavis, Strong, and Johnson are all good. Zook would be fine by me since he's not the head coach. Wilcox shouldn't be anywhere near this list. Bo Pelini did well at LSU but his defenses at Nebraska are awful these days. Tuberville as a head coach/ defensive guy is top notch too(very underrated IMO).

Rumor from VQ is he's also talked to Zook. Some coaching names are finally surfacing. I knew he had contacted potential staff but hadn't heard anything concrete before this morning.

Zook is MONEY as an assistant.

:huggy:

I would embrace him on ANYONE's staff

Ansley has potential as a recruiter. It will be amazing how he will look like a genius with better players. Also, he isn't calling the plays that are crippling his DB's.

The Cbs aren't misaligned. And players blow coverages not coaches. I wonder how much say so he has over who plays in the secondary though. Because if he's sticking with Gordon I'm a bit disappointed.

SN: has a depth chart for the week come out yet?

On your last part.... yes there has.

Hubbs said Gruden was just talking to Steele about football philosophy, he has no reason to believe it had anything to do about putting a staff together or Tennessee.

After what happened with faxgate and zook, i don't see that happening. People still talk about it whenever his name is mentioned with UT

Reactions: 1 person
Question:

Has a CFB HC ever been fired after taking a team from a losing record one year to a bowl victory the next year?

If so, what about 2 losing records followed by a bowl victory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back