Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Smart is our next head coach.

I just dont see anyway that happens. Another Sabanite isnt going to fire up the fanbase. Then this team gets smoked against Oregon and Florida next year and the fanbase stops buying tickets/merch/whatever like they are now and we are exactly where we'd be anyway, but minus the 5 million given to Dooley. It HAS to be a guy with a track record. It just has too.

He's full of it. I've seen nothing special about what he's calling. We play between 1-3 coverages all game. Cover 1, Cover 0, and cover 2 are most of what I see. Funny thing is we can't run the first two coverages(which we run primarily) with the players we're putting on the field.

Dooley and crew should've recruited better from jump street. He added only one real CB in Coleman's class. Knowing there was a need back there. Lanier and Moore were both tweeners with speed/hips that were better suited at Safety. He put his job on the backs of juco players like he was at K-State or something.

I honestly don't know why he doesn't go with more zone coverages. Going man-to-man on the outside is just crazy at this point. It should be through his and everyone else's head that can't cover man the whole game, or even the majority of the game. I'll take Coleman man-to-man on the outside here and there. Outside of Coleman, I'd rather not take that risk. I just want to force teams to beat us. The way this defense is set-up is letting teams beat us. Force guys like Russell at MSU to make big decisions throwing the ball. Force guys like McCarron and Murray to throw underneath all game instead of hitting the big plays because our guys have blown coverages.

Please don't let this be true!! I either want a proven commodity or stick with DD one more year. I don't want another experiment. He may be a great HC, but we are at the stage in our program that we need a proven HC that will unify our fanbase...which means we need a HR hire.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I am not for the Smart hire, and I don't think the fan base would be for it either. That's just another guy who hasn't had the reins at a big program.

I just dont see anyway that happens. Another Sabanite isnt going to fire up the fanbase. Then this team gets smoked against Oregon and Florida next year and the fanbase stops buying tickets/merch/whatever like they are now and we are exactly where we'd be anyway, but minus the 5 million given to Dooley. It HAS to be a guy with a track record. It just has too.

Label me what you want but I fully expect to get smashed at Oregon next year unless we suddenly find some speed on defense during the off-season or our players finally learn how to set the edge and not let the RB's turn the corner. I just hope we don't buy our way out of the game I've been waiting on the trip to Eugene.

Reactions: 1 person
I am not for the Smart hire, and I don't think the fan base would be for it either. That's just another guy who hasn't had the reins at a big program.

Yeah if we are gonna go that route why not just keep what we have for one more year then make the move. I know the buyout isn't an issue but why pay one when you don't have an HR hire waiting?

Yep, Smart would even be below Dave Doeren for me on a list of potential candidates.

Do I think Smart would do better than Dooley? That's very possible because unfortunately, you can't get much worse in conference play than what Dooley has done. However, why bring in Smart if he's not a proven winner or HC like everyone wants? The only good thing I would see out of it is less staff turnover. Smart obviously knows Sal and Ansley. I don't think he'd get rid of Chaney. I don't think anyone would get rid of CJG or Hinshaw.

I just don't really see it at this point. Plus, you're going to get a lot of fans that just b*tch and moan because they think the administration is runned by all former Bama people.

Yeah if we are gonna go that route why not just keep what we have for one more year then make the move. I know the buyout isn't an issue but why pay one when you don't have an HR hire waiting?

Smart won't be available next year.

Really hope it isn't Smart. The Saban assistant coaching line is played out and overrated. Saban makes that team, not his assistants. Muschamp seems to be one of the only exceptions at this point.

Smart won't be available next year.

I'd take Richt over Smart assuming your talking about Georgia hiring him. Richt may not have won the big game but he's won more as HC than Smart and is proven now that being said I don't really want either one but I'm not on the Gruden wagon either, I personally want Patterson myself I love the way TCU plays.

Last edited:
I'd take Mark Richt over Smart. Richt may not have won the big game but he's won more as HC than Smart and is proven now that being said I don't really want either one but I'm not on the Gruden wagon either, I personally want Patterson myself I love the way TCU plays.

Patterson has it made at TCU.

So everyone wants Dooley fired but the only head coach that will satisfy people is Gruden (or Gary Patterson)? Just want to make sure I understand.

Reactions: 2 people

Then fans should prepare for things to remain the same. We will go through a downturn in recruiting this season and a learning curve for a guy who is head coach for the first time.

Is Smart going to be expected to win 9 games with a senior laden class in 2013? He should be given the talent that returns.

Can't wait for the fan base to scream bloody murder a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back