'12 JUCO DT Damien Jacobs (Florida signee)

Just a side note for you: Weis was pretty much forced out. He wasn't adhering to the boundaries of "The Process" as much as Muschamp liked, so he "encouraged" him to take the Kansas job. This is eerily similar to what Saban had to do with Applewhite after his first year at Alabama. Then he brought in McElwain, who was more committed to doing things Saban's way, and the Tide started rolling. It's actually downright scary how similar the circumstances are between 07 Bama and 11 UF.

Going back to the point of this thread, though: I'm not trying to say Jacobs wouldn't have had a great opportunity at Tennessee, but I think recruits can just kind of "sense" something about UF right now. They are getting those vibes that something big is about to happen and they want to get in on the ground floor.

lol

Reactions: 2 people
Just a side note for you: Weis was pretty much forced out. He wasn't adhering to the boundaries of "The Process" as much as Muschamp liked, so he "encouraged" him to take the Kansas job. This is eerily similar to what Saban had to do with Applewhite after his first year at Alabama. Then he brought in McElwain, who was more committed to doing things Saban's way, and the Tide started rolling. It's actually downright scary how similar the circumstances are between 07 Bama and 11 UF.

Going back to the point of this thread, though: I'm not trying to say Jacobs wouldn't have had a great opportunity at Tennessee, but I think recruits can just kind of "sense" something about UF right now. They are getting those vibes that something big is about to happen and they want to get in on the ground floor.

I heard he wanted out and didn't even tell Muschimp about it. Kansas didn't even ask permission to talk with Frontbutt. But I'm sure the spin isn't going to stop from you. Nothing is wrong in Gatorland , infact it's great and going to be better than it ever has. That pretty much sum up everything you are saying?

there is koolaid to be had by all....

Chas,
I actually keep up with the Gators a little. Muschamp was shocked that Weis would bail after only one year and Gator nation was not pleased. If he was forced out, then wouldn't CWM have a new OC already picked? Here it is two weeks later and he has nothing. You were 6-6 this year. You were the 8th best team in SEC. 2010 wasn't any better. Your quarterback is graduating and your only two playmakers Rainey and Demps were seniors. Your O line was recruited to block for the spread and now they are a terrible fit for pro style. Your offense is a total mess! Your defense has more 5* busts than Dolly Parton. Muschump said it best after the FSU defeat....you are soft and weak.

Jeremy Fooley has Zookered you. Why a top university like UF would give a great job like that to a guy who has never even been a head coach is beyond understanding.

In summary, I predict that you will go 4-8 next year.

Reactions: 4 people
Chas,
I actually keep up with the Gators a little. Muschamp was shocked that Weis would bail after only one year and Gator nation was not pleased. If he was forced out, then wouldn't CWM have a new OC already picked? Here it is two weeks later and he has nothing. You were 6-6 this year. You were the 8th best team in SEC. 2010 wasn't any better. Your quarterback is graduating and your only two playmakers Rainey and Demps were seniors. Your O line was recruited to block for the spread and now they are a terrible fit for pro style. Your offense is a total mess! Your defense has more 5* busts than Dolly Parton. Muschump said it best after the FSU defeat....you are soft and weak.

Jeremy Fooley has Zookered you. Why a top university like UF would give a great job like that to a guy who has never even been a head coach is beyond understanding.

True. And there is absolutely nothing in recent history to suggest one of those 8 losses will be to UT next year.

Not negavolling here, I sincerely hope I am wrong. But that is reality at the moment.

True. And there is absolutely nothing in recent history to suggest one of those 8 losses will be to UT next year.

Not negavolling here, I sincerely hope I am wrong. But that is reality at the moment.

Yeah, we ain't any good. But the point is, they aren't any good either. If someone is going to attempt to rub our nose in it, let it be Bama or LSU or Arky or UGA or USCe or someone who actually has a decent team.

When the Gators come to Knoxville next year, I'm guessing that the boys in vegas will have that one as a toss-up. That's how bad we both are.

Florida...ha! I fart in their general direction

Reactions: 1 person
Pretty impossible for Dooley to take this team backwards, considering what he started with.

Lost to Kentucky

Cant wait to beat his ass next year

Need to worry about beating Kentucky

Its bad when you lose out to the worst coach in the NCAA. Florida is about to see what worse than Zook means.

Tennessee lost to Kentucky

Enjoy Tiny next season.

Hope Tennessee beats Kentucky

"Didn't want him anyways."

Lost to Kentucky

What made all the JUCOs change their minds?

Need to beat Kentucky

Tunnel vision much?

Should weigh heavy on everyone. Thought it was funny that so many talked about "getting" DJ next year when really Tennessee needed to get him today. About to state the obvious; The dominant teams in the SEC have one thing in common; TALENT!! What every pundit states; the SEC dominates because it is full of talent but especially because of the talent on the D-line and mostly the talent at DT. I would like to say that Tennessee is thin at best on the D-line but that would be giving it too much credit. Wish MJ had one more to give and I hope Danny O and company are ready from day one to compete at the highest level of College football with MC.

Should weigh heavy on everyone. Thought it was funny that so many talked about "getting" DJ next year when really Tennessee needed to get him today. About to state the obvious; The dominant teams in the SEC have one thing in common; TALENT!! What every pundit states; the SEC dominates because it is full of talent but especially because of the talent on the D-line and mostly the talent at DT. I would like to say that Tennessee is thin at best on the D-line but that would be giving it too much credit. Wish MJ had one more to give and I hope Danny O and company are ready from day one to compete at the highest level of College football with MC.

f1a81

Reactions: 1 person
I haven't followed the boards much the past few weeks so I may be way off but here's my take on Jacobs. First this is an average Juco player nothing special at all. We got all excited when he commited to UT because one we need D-linemen bad and two in hopes that he could pull Autry. Remember his quote "I'm going to work on Autry I think I can get him". My feeling is the staff likes Sentimore better then Jacobs and when it became obvious that Autry was headed elsewhere and that Jacobs had no pull with him we cooled on Jacobs a bit. Like I say I could be wrong but I honestly don't think after getting in good shape with Sentimore the staff looked at Jacobs like a must get type player. I'm not saying we turned him away but I get the feeling the staff didn't make him a priority either. This guy is not a difference maker and not a great loss. Sentimore on the other hand has the potential to be a great player if he works hard and stays out of trouble. He was coming on strong at Alabama before leaving and has the potential to be a big time pass rusher.

In regards to Jacobs I am not sure why UT fans are that upset. To be honest I think the real bonus of having Jacobs commited was to have Autry also. I doubt there is many fans on here that would pick Jacobs over Autry if only one could sign. Most people were hoping it would help land Autry.

For the record it just shows you that IF is no better off than UT right now even though they like to think different. Not really sure what season they were watching this year. Jacobs was not getting recruited by UA, LSU, Ark, or really any of the heavy hitters in the SEC. UF going after him just shows how desperate CWM is right now to get his defense to be competative with what ever help they can get. Nothing more.

Apparently some folks don't know much about Jacobs. He is the #10 JUCO recruit this year at any position in the JUCO Top 100, and the #3 DT. He had offers from Arkansas, UF, FSU, Miami, OM, MSU, USF, UT, ATM, and TT.

Visesio Salt, who we signed 2 days ago, is the #9 overall JUCO recruit in the JUCO Top 100, and #2 the DT.

Just for the sake of comparison, Terrence Cody and Nick Fairley were much lower rated DT's coming out of JUCO:

Terrence Cody - 3* DT (#47 of Top 100 overall JUCO prospects) - Bama - Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College - 2-time consensus All-American - Bednarik Award finalist, Lombardi Award finalist, Nagurski Trophy finalist - 2nd round NFL draft pick.

Nick Fairley - 3* DT (#95 of Top 100 overall JUCO prospects) - Auburn - Mississippi Copiah-Lincoln Community College - 1st team All-American - Lombardi Award Winner - BCS NC MVP - 1st round NFL draft pick.

And, yes, UF can use them because despite having a top 10 defense, our depth was shallow and any injury would have crippled us next year without some additional experienced DT's.

Last edited:
Chas,

this was absolutely dead on. jesus. urban is that you?

Apparently some folks don't know much about Jacobs. He is the #10 JUCO recruit this year at any position in the JUCO Top 100, and the #3 DT. He had offers from Arkansas, UF, FSU, Miami, OM, MSU, USF, UT, ATM, and TT.

Visesio Salt, who we signed 2 days ago, is the #9 overall JUCO recruit in the JUCO Top 100, and #2 the DT.

Just for the sake of comparison, Terrence Cody and Nick Fairley were much lower rated DT's coming out of JUCO:

Terrence Cody - 3* DT (#47 of Top 100 overall JUCO prospects) - Bama - Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College - 2-time consensus All-American - Bednarik Award finalist, Lombardi Award finalist, Nagurski Trophy finalist - 2nd round NFL draft pick.

Nick Fairley - 3* DT (#95 of Top 100 overall JUCO prospects) - Auburn - Mississippi Copiah-Lincoln Community College - 1st team All-American - Lombardi Award Winner - BCS NC MVP - 1st round NFL draft pick.

And, yes, UF can use them because despite having a top 10 defense, our depth was shallow and any injury would have crippled us next year without some additional experienced DT's.

Great post.

Very few people understand just how depleted Meyer left us.

Why are you trying to convince us that your team doesn't suck? We know you do and no argument you make is going to change that. We know we are bad too, but no one is buying into this "Muschamp is builiding a monster" crap. You are staring down 5-7 in face next year with Coach Boom and you know it.

The reason Florida's D was ranked so high is you played terrible offensive teams. LSU's offense destroyed your D, but the rest of the teams you played are pretty mediocre on offense.

Great post.

Very few people understand just how depleted Meyer left us.

This statement does nothing to show your sheer ignorance and proves no one on these boards should take one single world you type seriously. Florida and depleted should not be in the same sentence. All those top 5 classes you guys have had during his entire tenure really lift a massive talent void didn't it?

Only thing this signing does his completely verify all the rumors of how Muschamp is a liar and shady recruiter. Jacobs now gets to ride your bench instead of starting here, wonder what he'll think when UF comes into Neyland next fall and get its azz handed to them while he gets a handful of snaps the entire game and sees he'd be starting on our defense.

Snow- There's no way we'll go 5-7 next year. Our schedule is much more favorable and we won't have anywhere near the injuries/lack of depth that we faced this year. This year really was the perfect storm: new coaching regime, lack of depth, injuries, brutal schedule. The irony is that, without the crippling injuries, we're probably looking at a 2 or 3 loss season in Muschamp's first year, which is pretty solid. We would have beaten Auburn, USCe, and FSU, no doubts in my mind.

I just don't think Vol fans understand the paradigm shift that is happening at UF right now. That's why there is so much confusion in this thread about Jacobs' decision. Vols and other rivals are looking at this thing from one angle and are failing to see the bigger picture: that UF has developed a whole new identity. You guys are so used to seeing us use our speed to run around teams on the perimeter that it's going to look weird next year when Matt Jones is smashing between the tackles and dragging defenders 10 yards downfield. The SEC teams will need to schedule extra sessions in the ice baths after the UF games, because whether you beat us or not, we're going to start physically wailing on people. Up until now, the Gators have always been driving a little souped up sports car through the SEC, but now we're going to come rumbling through the conference in a tank.

VN Store

Back