Pearl's Already Gone: The Exit Strategy Hypothesis

I agree with the other posters, I think Pearl survives and doesn't have to resign. I cant see Hamilton firing Pearl.

Pearl will be at TN until TN gets word of what its punishment will be either prior to or at the NCAA hearing. If they were going to get rid of him before the NCAA punishment is announced why wait this long?

Whenever, (if) Pearl does leave, Hamilton is gone as well.

It's all about timing. Finding a new coach directly after we go out of the tourney, is much easier than trying to find one after the AA announces punishments which could go into May/June or later. Letting BP go before the punishments would likely sway the AA's punishments much less than if he stays since most were directly on him and staff rather than UT itself. As I stated before, MH would not be let go with BP. If he hits a home run with a new coach, I think it's 50-50 he stays or goes. Certainly, it would be easier to find a new AD after the coach is chosen, and provide most of spring and summer to select one. The timing on hiring a coach and an AD are not on the same track.

Interesting theory but I don't buy it. There hasn't been any new info in months and the facts of the situation haven't changed since prior to the season. Imo if Pearl didn't get canned in September, there's nothing new to change Hamilton's position now.

This is the correct post in this thread. Nothing has changed.

Not when you get sanctioned by the NCAA for keeping the previous coach around.

Clearly firing Pearl in September would amounted to semi punting on this season. What remains to be seen is whether keeping Pearl will amount to punting on future seasons.

The NCAA punishes the school but I don't think they tell the school fire the coach or we penalize you more. You get the penalty whether you coach stays or not.

It was just impossible for me to buy the crying game act.
Not falling for that one again, huh?

the_crying_game.jpg

The NCAA punishes the school but I don't think they tell the school fire the coach or we penalize you more. You get the penalty whether you coach stays or not.

Firing the coach is another remedial method of ensuring compliance. If suspending a coach for 8 games ever had any hope of influencing NCAA penalties, forcing him out certainly should reduce the severity, although the NCAA can always pretty much do whatever they want regardless.

Not when you get sanctioned by the NCAA for keeping the previous coach around.

Clearly firing Pearl in September would amounted to semi punting on this season. What remains to be seen is whether keeping Pearl will amount to punting on future seasons.
The NCAA won't hammer UT if Pearl isn't there when it comes time to dole out sanctions. The folks at the 'AA understand the legalities tied up in getting rid of a coach.

I don't think anybody has realized how much Pearl being suspended in the middle of the season affected the morale and chemistry of this team. Two freshman and also two new upperclassmen have received significant minutes. It is tough to come together as a team when your head coach was different for eight games during the season.

Two things:

1. Recall the football team's performance against Wyoming the week after they learned that Fulmer would not return.

2. Now, recall where our bball team was on December 14th, when NCAA President Mark Emmert, made the following comments in an article for USA Today on December 15th, 2010 (Link: NCAA president: Stiff penalties needed for coaches who commit violations - Campus Rivalry: College Football & Basketball News, Recruiting, Game Picks, and More - USATODAY.com)

"Making general comments, Emmert stressed a need for significant penalties for coaches who commit rules violations.

"We do need to have a situation where coaches know if they're in violation of major infractions, that the penalties will be significant enough that they serve as an impediment and discouragement of that type of behavior," he said during a dinner with reporters. "You don't want a circumstance where a coach is saying, 'I have to do that, too, if I'm going to be competitive.' That's a fundamental problem."

And later, in the same article, "While pointing out that every case has its own set of circumstances, Emmert said coaches should be punished "at least as much" as players."

We were 7-1 and were ranked 11th in the country. At that point, we had beaten the likes of 'Nova, Belmont, and were only four days removed from destroying Pitt.

Think its a coincidence that we went 12-13 after that article was published?

Then how do you explain such a sharply contrasted segmentation of a season void of any identifiable calamities, on or off of the court?

There were no major injuries. No drastic philosophical changes.

Think it was Pearl's suspension for 8 games?
Ok, which of those games that we lost in that span would have went in our favor, had Pearl been on the sideline? Likely none.

If Pearl's absence for those 8 games is to blame, then why didn't the team's performance improve upon his return? If anything, it's gotten worse.

The truth is that players read papers, too. They also hear and see these coaches on a daily basis, and would be both best and first to notice if they showed signs that the end was near, or had already been determined. Frustration and anger typically give way to resentment and apathy. And, as Wyoming can attest, this is often best and most easily evidenced on the field of play.

The players have long known, or at the very least most strongly suspected, that this was Pearl's last year. That the die was cast, so to speak, and they've played accordingly.

Or, you can continue to believe that there is some other reason for their mysterious decline that has thus far defied all means of identification and description over the course of a 33-game schedule, instead.

tenacious d: True most people have an opinion and yours is noted. I would think that trying to value yours as with being an hypothesis is somewhat over the top. I for one do not believe there is a word of truth in it. Ut is not stupid. I think when they reduced bp salary they were showing ncaa that they were willing to police their institution. We all agree that cheating is not condoned. However, there are degrees of cheating. From what i have read bp cheating does not reach the level of cheating that has been proven by past incidents. Telephone calls to recruits from coaching staffs are the norm. If you don't think so than let us have investigation of all of the programs nation wide and let us see what falls out. Had bp let his interview with the ncaa stand that could have been lying, but he amended his statments before conclusions where reached. I believe that in a court of law that would not be perjury. From my experience in being a studen at ut over 50years ago and following ut for these many years i believe that ut keeps coach pearl and moves on . I do believe that the name of volnation should be change to negavols!

This. V,B!

I agree with that 1000 percent. I know after the PITT game and even after the Oakland game, Coach Pearl went on and on about Maymon not being eligible At the time when this came out I was like just SHUT up and coach .

This is the correct post in this thread. Nothing has changed.

I am uncertain as to how to respond to this while staying within the bounds of forum rules and which doesn't require the use of crayon-colored stick figures or the manufacturing of sock puppets.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Lets take some phone calls...you're up next IA...whats on your mind....

Two things:

1. Recall the football team's performance against Wyoming the week after they learned that Fulmer would not return.

2. Now, recall where our bball team was on December 14th, when NCAA President Mark Emmert, made the following comments in an article for USA Today on December 15th, 2010 (Link: NCAA president: Stiff penalties needed for coaches who commit violations - Campus Rivalry: College Football & Basketball News, Recruiting, Game Picks, and More - USATODAY.com)

"Making general comments, Emmert stressed a need for significant penalties for coaches who commit rules violations.

"We do need to have a situation where coaches know if they're in violation of major infractions, that the penalties will be significant enough that they serve as an impediment and discouragement of that type of behavior," he said during a dinner with reporters. "You don't want a circumstance where a coach is saying, 'I have to do that, too, if I'm going to be competitive.' That's a fundamental problem."

And later, in the same article, "While pointing out that every case has its own set of circumstances, Emmert said coaches should be punished "at least as much" as players."

We were 7-1 and were ranked 11th in the country. At that point, we had beaten the likes of 'Nova, Belmont, and were only four days removed from destroying Pitt.

Think its a coincidence that we went 12-13 after that article was published?

Then how do you explain such a sharply contrasted segmentation of a season void of any identifiable calamities, on or off of the court?

There were no major injuries. No drastic philosophical changes.

Think it was Pearl's suspension for 8 games?
Ok, which of those games that we lost in that span would have went in our favor, had Pearl been on the sideline? Likely none.

If Pearl's absence for those 8 games is to blame, then why didn't the team's performance improve upon his return? If anything, it's gotten worse.

The truth is that players read papers, too. They also hear and see these coaches on a daily basis, and would be both best and first to notice if they showed signs that the end was near, or had already been determined. Frustration and anger typically give way to resentment and apathy. And, as Wyoming can attest, this is often best and most easily evidenced on the field of play.

The players have long known, or at the very least most strongly suspected, that this was Pearl's last year. That the die was cast, so to speak, and they've played accordingly.

Or, you can continue to believe that there is some other reason for their mysterious decline that has thus far defied all means of identification and description over the course of a 33-game schedule, instead.

You are very long winded today... But I think the 8 game suspension and the constant media attention to the potential NCAA sanctions that you mentioned have completely killed the morale of this team. These things are all interlinked I suppose. And I do think that Bruce is acting like he is going to be fired. He just does not seem to be himself. But I really don't want him to go because I think when this blows over he will be right back on PTI and being a media darling.

You are very long winded today... But I think the 8 game suspension and the constant media attention to the potential NCAA sanctions that you mentioned have completely killed the morale of this team. These things are all interlinked I suppose. And I do think that Bruce is acting like he is going to be fired. He just does not seem to be himself. But I really don't want him to go because I think when this blows over he will be right back on PTI and being a media darling.

The literatively loquacious nature of my posts is not a recent development.

If the 8-game suspension killed the morale of this team - why haven't they improved since his return?

If Pearl leaves, then it is a given that "Hopson" & "Harris" will leave also. Next season will be a horrilbe season.
We will have a horrible cast of players on hand. Hopson, Harris, Pearl, Goins, Williams, & Fields will be gone. Now take a look at what is left on the bench!! Woolridge, Golden, McCrea, McBee, Maymon.
With that line up, this years Auburn team will be better than our team next season.

VN Store

Back