Pearl's Already Gone: The Exit Strategy Hypothesis

Guilty or not Pearl lost some favor over the bump rule controversy. The season tanked after a promising start and the unsigned contract has ticked more than a few off.
that amazes me. It's like letting your CPA off the hook for lying to the IRS and then getting indignant when he gets a ticket for jay walking.

maybe so but I don't get it. Why in the world would they subject the program to this if they were going to force him out anyway? They could have canned him in September or at
least suspended him and made things easier.
Why in the world would they subject the program to an entire season of Tony Jones in charge?

Right but all the back and forth with the pending contract do you honestly think that the there is not a memorandum stating he will recieve compensation for what portions he was around this season? Truth is nobody knows what it says honestly.... but there is no way after being burned by the poor language in X's contract that Pearl just quits and doesn't have a buyout.
This is where I differ. I think it would be in MH's best interest to sweeten the pot to get his resignation. If there is no such agreement in place.

It's easier to hire a coach after the season than in September.
Not when you get sanctioned by the NCAA for keeping the previous coach around.

Clearly firing Pearl in September would amounted to semi punting on this season. What remains to be seen is whether keeping Pearl will amount to punting on future seasons.

Makes no sense unless the powers that be agree with many posters on here that it is impossible to bring in another winning coach.

that amazes me. It's like letting your CPA off the hook for lying to the IRS and then getting indignant when he gets a ticket for jay walking.
might of had something to do with the press conference before hand.

Not when you get sanctioned by the NCAA for keeping the previous coach around.

Clearly firing Pearl in September would amounted to semi punting on this season. What remains to be seen is whether keeping Pearl will amount to punting on future seasons.

If he leaves after the season (which is before the sanctions), there's no being sanctioned for keeping him around.

There's just no way you can blame this season on the SEC.

I don't think anybody has realized how much Pearl being suspended in the middle of the season affected the morale and chemistry of this team. Two freshman and also two new upperclassmen have received significant minutes. It is tough to come together as a team when your head coach was different for eight games during the season.

Solid thread. I normally don't read novels, but Tenacious presented a solid argument.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

might of had something to do with the press conference before hand.
I guess this just exposes me as being a cynical sob. It was just impossible for me to buy the crying game act.

Pearl will be at TN until TN gets word of what its punishment will be either prior to or at the NCAA hearing. If they were going to get rid of him before the NCAA punishment is announced why wait this long?

Whenever, (if) Pearl does leave, Hamilton is gone as well.

If Pearl's gone Hamilton will be too. :twocents:

I believe that Hamilton is chiefly responsible for the many maladies and missteps of the last several years (and both his job description and common sense agree with me) - and think that he should go. In fact, I hope that he is no longer the AD, once all is said and done.

However, while I considered it in the course of the hypothesis, I don't think that happens in the immediate aftermath of firing Pearl. I base this on the following:

1. There are many reasons to be believe that Pearl's (soon-to-be) abrupt departure has already been decided, but the timing seems to suggest that none is considered larger than the advantage of hiring his replacement in this optimal, albeit narrow, timeframe. As Hat has said elsewhere, the field of candidates will never be better than it is in March and early April. Firing MH would almost certainly mean that his replacement would have to be made before we could then seek to hire a head coach (perhaps someone would take the job without knowing who their boss might be.....but likely nobody that we'd want), and I doubt that this could be done in the next 3-4 works, or very well, I should say.

2. I don't mean this to sound as pointed as it might come across, but any ideation that MH actually makes (read: decides) these hires is in error. He plays a role, for sure, but his primary job is more closely related to that of a headhunter and not a hiring manager. He goes out and finds people, gauges interest, or simply brings in those whom he's told to bring in. Most importantly, he is the public face and mouthpiece for those actually deciding the process - and who's task would become considerably more difficult and far less easier to conceal, without him. Simply, while he doesn't make the hire, he still serves a purpose.

3. I think that USC's handling of Mike Garrett offers the best and strongest indication of what MH's future will entail. He'll hang around to live through the investigation, sleep and suffer in the bed that he has made with the 'AA, and be unceremoniously let go as soon as sanctions are announced. Besides, no other serious AD would assume the position until these issues were resolved, and the punishments made fully known.

So, as much as MH may deserve to lose his job for this (you'll get no argument from me), losing it right now seems both counterintuitive and counterproductive to the larger goals we are trying to achieve. But, give it time. He's not out of the woods yet, by a long shot.

CD12:
I think that BP and UT are waiting on the final report from NCAA and to how UT winds up in the tournament. There is a possibility that TN can win it all. It is not likely but as long as they are playing there is a chance.If UT should win it all, what kind of pressure do you think UT would be under to keep BP? or if they made a decent run in the tournament? If unfair decisions are forthcoming at the NCAA, I would think that there are chances that legal actions could ensue. NCAA is not without faults. In the past there have been lawsuits against the NCAA that have warranted court settelments.
Then why even start the process of drawing up a new deal and sending it to BP if this was the thought process. If BP is in danger I would think he would of wanted some kind of safety net.

Last edited:
So, as much as MH may deserve to lose his job for this (you'll get no argument from me), losing it right now seems both counterintuitive and counterproductive to the larger goals we are trying to achieve. But, give it time. He's not out of the woods yet, by a long shot.

So I take it from #2 you don't think he could save himself with a homerun hire (which you expect and I hope for).

if he resigns, i'ii be stunned. hammy will have no choice to fire him, but that will come in the summer after the allegations are discussed. i csn't see him just leaving without an escourt showing him the way out with his box of stuff under his arm.

Hat, what are your thoughts on the overall theory here?

Comes across as pure wishful thinking to me.

I guess this just exposes me as being a cynical sob. It was just impossible for me to buy the crying game act.
Some as witnessed by this board are still buying. The problem for BP is not the ones who didn't buy it. Its the ones who did but now seek a refund.

Some as witnessed by this board are still buying. The problem for BP is not the ones who didn't buy it. Its the ones who did but now seek a refund.
He actually may have done Hamilton a favor with the bump if it is determined that Pearl has to be fired.

I just don't see Pearl resigning. He'll go out like the last guy MH fired

VN Store

Back