The Atlanta Braves (thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The roster was sort of a disaster, which isn't Cox's fault, but he should have mitigated it by realizing much earlier that he had a guy on the bench who could improve the position.

For the record, I completely agree with the entire post.

Given the statement above, do you think the same scenario is playing out now with Alex "0 for 1 billion" Gonzalez? Could he turn it around? Or is he the best we've got right now at the position?

For the record, I completely agree with the entire post.

Given the statement above, do you think the same scenario is playing out now with Alex "0 for 1 billion" Gonzalez? Could he turn it around? Or is he the best we've got right now at the position?

well we really dont have any backups anymore. with infante and conrad now everyday players.

I would think that the playoff roster would be:

12 Pitchers
8 Starters: McCann, Lee, Conrad, Gonzalez, Infante, Heyward, McLouth, Diaz
5 bench players . . .
David Ross is a given
Eric Hinske is a given
Diory Hernandez probably has to make it as the only real middle infielder backup.
Melky Cabrera makes it since he's a switch hitter and plays multiple OF positions.
1 roster spot for either Rick Ankiel, Troy Glaus or Freddie Freeman.

All this goes out the window if they decide to go with 11 pitchers in a short series and keep an additional roster spot for a position player.

Last edited:
I would think that the playoff roster would be:

12 Pitchers
8 Starters: McCann, Lee, Conrad, Gonzalez, Infante, Heyward, McLouth, Diaz
5 bench players . . .
David Ross is a given
Eric Hinske is a given
Diory Hernandez probably has to make it as the only real middle infielder backup.
Melky Cabrera makes it since he's a switch hitter and plays multiple OF positions.
1 roster spot for either Rick Ankiel, Troy Glaus or Freddie Freeman.

All this goes out the window if they decide to go with 11 pitchers in a short series and keep an additional roster spot for a position player.

Did Cox ever get over his idiotic thing about having three catchers on the postseason roster? Do we know?

Did Cox ever get over his idiotic thing about having three catchers on the postseason roster? Do we know?
I originally had a blurb about that in my above post, but deleted it. As weak as the bench is with Conrad and Infante forced to start, I can't imagine Cox blowing a bench spot on JC Boscan?!?

I originally had a blurb about that in my above post, but deleted it. As weak as the bench is with Conrad and Infante forced to start, I can't imagine Cox blowing a bench spot on JC Boscan?!?

He used to waste a roster spot basically every year on a third catcher despite the Braves NEVER having a good bench. I'd like to look some of their names up, but I'm not sure how to go about it because as I recall there were a couple of years when he used a 3rd catcher that had never even made an appearance at the major league level. It certainly wouldn't stun me to see Boscan on the roster.

EDIT: O'Brien apparently thinks it's a possibility. "If manager Bobby Cox decides to go with three catchers, J.C. Boscan could make the cut. The roster can be changed from one postseason series to the next." Ye gods, no.

He used to waste a roster spot basically every year on a third catcher despite the Braves NEVER having a good bench. I'd like to look some of their names up, but I'm not sure how to go about it because as I recall there were a couple of years when he used a 3rd catcher that had never even made an appearance at the major league level.

That's what basically happened with Javy Lopez. His rookie year wasn't until 1994, but he was on the postseason roster in 92 and 93. Javy Lopez was actually the on deck hitter when Francisco Cabrera drove in Justice and Bream to win the NLCS in 92.

That's what basically happened with Javy Lopez. His rookie year wasn't until 1994, but he was on the postseason roster in 92 and 93. Javy Lopez was actually the on deck hitter when Francisco Cabrera drove in Justice and Bream to win the NLCS in 92.

That's awesome, I didn't know that last part about him being on deck. I think (and hope) we will only carry 11 pitchers, though. I think I read somewhere that he took 10 the an NLCS one time. Anyways, it feels great to be back in the postseason. I'll be in section 115 on Sunday. They're givin out tomahawks and I'm damn excited about it. I feel like a little kid.

Minor and Freeman definitely not on postseason roster. Also probably won't carry a third catcher.

I read that Bobby was kicking around going with Beachy in game 4 if necessary....hope not. You have to go Lowe there.

i think they'll carry Beachy just cause they need an emergency starter if necessary and someone who can come out of the bullpen if necessary. Tho i doubt you would see him in the first round.

Last edited:
I kind of like that set up as far as the team's mindset goes. No matter what happens in Games 1 and 2, they know they have Hudson going when they get back home.

As was pointed out in the CAC post from yesterday, from a pitching standpoint, it's better to have the fly-ball pitcher go in San Fran and the ground-ball pitcher in Atl.

Hudson looked much better in his past 2 starts, but honestly right now I feel as good about Lowe and Hanson as i do Hudson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back