The Atlanta Braves (thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
they still have infante on contract threw next season at a very affordable contract. (around 500k i think) So i expect him back, maybe left field or smthing if chipper comes back

Infante has a club option for 2.5 mil for next year. The buyout is 250K

Also, I thank God every night for Alex Gonzalez's professionalism and sure glove at SS. I don't know what we would have ever done without him and I look forward to his bright, promising future starting at about 500K a year. No? Okay well maybe we send him to another country as well.

If your guy wasn't one of the biggest aholes in the league while killing the Braves at the plate, he'd still be here. Plus he pretty well sucked the rest of the year up in Toronto too. Good riddance.

It's crazy the amount of money the Braves have coming off the books after 2011 and 2012. Hudson, Lowe, McCann, Chipper, Gonzalez . . . basically every big contract.

It's crazy the amount of money the Braves have coming off the books after 2011 and 2012. Hudson, Lowe, McCann, Chipper, Gonzalez . . . basically every big contract.

I'm not even sure it matters anymore. The Braves under Liberty have moved to a (cheapskate) organizational philosophy that there isn't much "good value" to be found in free agency, which is the way that I think Wren put it. Ergo I just can't see them committing to the sort of long-term contract that a top-shelf free agent will command. For the foreseeable future the model is going to be for the Braves to mostly develop their own players, trade for a few high-quality players who are available because their contracts are coming up in a year and a half or so (and whom the Braves will never have any designs on extending), and plug holes with cheap, short-term free agents.

I'm not even sure it matters anymore. The Braves under Liberty have moved to a (cheapskate) organizational philosophy that there isn't much "good value" to be found in free agency, which is the way that I think Wren put it. Ergo I just can't see them committing to the sort of long-term contract that a top-shelf free agent will command. For the foreseeable future the model is going to be for the Braves to mostly develop their own players, trade for a few high-quality players who are available because their contracts are coming up in a year and a half or so (and whom the Braves will never have any designs on extending), and plug holes with cheap, short-term free agents.
You are sadly 100% correct. Likely we'll continue to see B and C level free agents and scrap pile veterans surrounding Heyward, Freeman and Prado for the next few years.

What will be interesting is to see what they do with McCann? I think the timing of those expiring contracts works out great for him and his prospects for a big(ger) pay day.

I saw a couple of Tweets earlier, but AJC is confirming now.

Fredi Gonzalez will be new Braves manager | ajc.com

Not sure how I feel about this quite honestly. Hard to evaluate his MLB managerial career with the Marlins, where you aren't necessarily given the tools to succeed. MLB career record (276-279).

I guess the best thing about it is that there is some familiarity there with the players and the organization. One thing for sure is that he will not be Bobby Cox 2.0.

Not sure how I feel about this quite honestly. Hard to evaluate his MLB managerial career with the Marlins, where you aren't necessarily given the tools to succeed. MLB career record (276-279).

I guess the best thing about it is that there is some familiarity there with the players and the organization. One thing for sure is that he will not be Bobby Cox 2.0.

I think it's a good hire. He's a stand up guy, but will also carry on a lot of Bobby's rules and traditions. yet will bring a newer age philosophy.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I think it's a good hire. He's a stand up guy, but will also carry on a lot of Bobby's rules and traditions. yet will bring a newer age philosophy.

I think on opening day he should get himself ejected at home plate during the lineup exchange...as a tribute.

Keep in mind that the guy the Marlins fired before they hired Gonzalez was Joe Girardi. Being fired by Jeffrey Loria is almost a badge of honor.

The whole situation has worked out well for the Braves: Cox had the good sense to know when it was time to go instead of sticking around a la Bobby Bowden. The Braves had a nice little run to send him out on a high note. An ideal replacement fell into their lap.

Gonzalez could end up being a complete bust, but I don't think I've ever seen a coach/managerial transition go this smoothly.

The whole situation has worked out well for the Braves: Cox had the good sense to know when it was time to go instead of sticking around a la Bobby Bowden. The Braves had a nice little run to send him out on a high note. An ideal replacement fell into their lap.

And when Gonzalez got canned after handling the Ramirez situation correctly, he became basically the only target.

When Bobby called out Loria to the media it sealed it. Apparently he's been around Turner Field a bunch since being fired. I know he still lives in ATL, but that still meant something I'm sure.

I loved the way he handled the Hanley Ramirez loafing situation. He didn't sit on his hands when he came to the dugout. He walked up to him face to face and pulled his card...I like it.

Someone refresh my memory, what's the prior connection between the Braves' organization and Gonzalez
He's been a minor league manager and was a coach under Cox. He was the 3rd base coach for a couple of years.

EDIT: Just read the link above and he was 3rd base coach for 4 years. I didn't remember him being around that long.

Last edited:
I loved the way he handled the Hanley Ramirez loafing situation. He didn't sit on his hands when he came to the dugout. He walked up to him face to face and pulled his card...I like it.

And the rest of the team/league took notice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back