The Atlanta Braves (thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let the Fredi Gonzalez era begin! I'm pretty excited about him as the manager.

You know what? I'm excited about the change too. Hats off to Bobby and all, but I'm ready to see a manager whom the players love just a little bit less because he's willing to do things that make them angry.

How many articles this week are going to mention that, despite having the best rotation in major league history for much of his tenure, he finished with a record in the postseason of only 68-70? Cox is a good manager who lasted a long time, but I'm not sure that being beloved by players and writers is enough to make you a great manager.

You know what? I'm excited about the change too. Hats off to Bobby and all, but I'm ready to see a manager whom the players love just a little bit less because he's willing to do things that make them angry.

How many articles this week are going to mention that, despite having the best rotation in major league history for much of his tenure, he finished with a record in the postseason of only 68-70? Cox is a good manager who lasted a long time, but I'm not sure that being beloved by players and writers is enough to make you a great manager.

+1.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Cox had a knack for over managing at times especially when it came to the playoffs.

Agreed. He was just one Mark Wohlers hanging curveball from having two championships. If I was Bobby that pitch would still keep me up at night.

What I saw was very little run production, no closers. The starters don't want to leave the game because the closers can't get a single out or the fielders can't make a play in the clutch. I hate the Yankees (Jeter 14 golden gloves)and they may not be the best team this year but at least their in field backs them up and don't put all the win's or losses in the pictures lap. I even felt bad for the Red's Chapman. What poor support he had. horrible. I fault Cox for none of this. I am looking forward to another manager 2011.

Anybody care to take a stab at what next years team will look like.

Just off the top of my head:

C -- McCann
1B -- Freeman
2B -- Prado if Chipper makes it back, otherwise ?
3B -- Chipper or Prado
SS -- Gonzalez
LF -- Body
CF -- Body
RF -- Heyward

SP -- Lowe
SP -- Hudson
SP -- Hanson
SP -- Jurrjens
SP -- Minor
CL -- Venters or Kimbrell

I'd have to sit down and look at the relievers' contracts to have any idea who's likely to be back next year. Those guys move around a lot.

Going to be curious to see if Infante is back. If the Braves think Chipper will return, then I'd expect Infante to move elsewhere because the Braves will regard him as too expensive. If they don't, I'd expect Infante back.

I don't expect the Braves to even attempt to add the right-handed bat they desperately need.

What I saw was very little run production, no closers. The starters don't want to leave the game because the closers can't get a single out or the fielders can't make a play in the clutch. I hate the Yankees (Jeter 14 golden gloves)and they may not be the best team this year but at least their in field backs them up and don't put all the win's or losses in the pictures lap. I even felt bad for the Red's Chapman. What poor support he had. horrible. I fault Cox for none of this. I am looking forward to another manager 2011.

You know the Braves had one of the best bullpens in the league, right?

Ok I'll give it a shot.

1.2B Prado
2.RF Heyward
3.3B C. Jones
4. C McCann
5.SS Gonzalez
6.LF Diaz
7.CF Cabrera
8.1B Freeman

Bench:

C Ross
OF McClouth/Ankiel
OF/IF Infante
OF/IF Hinske
IF D. Hernandez/B. Hicks/Conrad

Starters:

1. Lowe
2. Hudson
3. Hanson
4. Jurrjens
5. Medlen

Pen:

LR Kawakami(would prefer to see him traded)
LR Beachy/Minor(could have one of them in the pen or both of them in the pen or both in AAA)
MR O'Flaherty
MR Dunn
MR Venters
MR Moylan
SU Saito
CL Kimbrel

The pen could shake out a number of ways but I see Kimbrel being the closer. He was almost unhitable. This could be a world series contending team. Great starting pitching. How many teams would like to have a Jurrjens at 4 and a Medlen at 5? Another great bullpen. Pretty good lineup. Would be a great lineup with a power bat in the OF. Providing all the injured players come back the Braves should make another playoff run. Need to improve the defense since it was the teams undoing against the Giants. Go Braves!

Just off the top of my head:

C -- McCann
1B -- Freeman
2B -- Prado if Chipper makes it back, otherwise ?
3B -- Chipper or Prado
SS -- Gonzalez
LF -- Body
CF -- Body
RF -- Heyward

SP -- Lowe
SP -- Hudson
SP -- Hanson
SP -- Jurrjens
SP -- Minor
CL -- Venters or Kimbrell

I'd have to sit down and look at the relievers' contracts to have any idea who's likely to be back next year. Those guys move around a lot.

Going to be curious to see if Infante is back. If the Braves think Chipper will return, then I'd expect Infante to move elsewhere because the Braves will regard him as too expensive. If they don't, I'd expect Infante back.

I don't expect the Braves to even attempt to add the right-handed bat they desperately need.

they still have infante on contract threw next season at a very affordable contract. (around 500k i think) So i expect him back, maybe left field or smthing if chipper comes back

I think Saito and Farnsworth are both gone after this year. The pen should be Kimbrell, Venters, Moylan, Dunn, o'flaherty, either Minor or Beachy and whoever the mop up man is.

Last edited:
I think Saito and Farnsworth are both gone after this year. The pen should be Kimbrell, Venters, Moylan, Dunn, o'flaherty, either Minor or Beachy and whoever the mop up man is.

I thought Christian Martinez, or however he spells it, did an excellent job as the mop-up man. I know that sounds stupid cause that doesn't seem like an important role, but he held fort and let us come back in a game or two and threw the ball well about every time out.

Also, I thank God every night for Alex Gonzalez's professionalism and sure glove at SS. I don't know what we would have ever done without him and I look forward to his bright, promising future starting at about 500K a year. No? Okay well maybe we send him to another country as well.

I'm not expecting it, but I'd do backflips if Wren would trade the excess pitching in the minors for a power OF bat.

Delgado,Beachy and Shafer for Rasmus.
Unload Lowe with value at an alltime high.
Sign Werth.
Try to get rid of Kawakami,pay portion of salary.

McCann
Freeman
Prado
AGon
Chipper
Heyward
Rasmus
Werth

Hinske
Mclouth
Infante
Conrad
Ross

Hudson
Jurrjens
Hanson
Minor
Teheran/Medlen

Kimbrel
Venters
Moylan
Dunn
Marek
Martinez

Pipe dream, but it is possible with our payroll, especially if Liberty bumps it up now that we are a serious contender.

I would think the Braves are going to be looking into some sort of buyout of the last year of KK's contract. There's no place in the rotation for him and it serves no purpose for he or the Braves for him just to rot in AAA for another year.

I'd rather have Crawford too, but I think he'll be more pricey than Werth simply because of his speed and defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back