Recruiting Football Talk VII

5ddc3d7d7735570050cb5d86f56c98a0.gif

I was beginning to feel like I was the only person on this board who understood this. Even the questionably cerebral @InVOLuntary who coined the phrase "Pretty Holly" could not seem to figure out. There is hope for humanity after all.
I prefer pretty Kimmie, as it is what it is.

That's not remotely true. ACT isn't an IQ test, so you can't use the change in ACT test difficulty to say IQ tests have changed in difficulty. The IQ test scale is the same.

Also, I assume by "a 36 today isnt the same as a 36 30 years ago" you mean because we have an increase in perfect scores in the last 10 years. Yes, because the population has increased and there's more resources available to students for test tutoring (its a huge business) and practicing. If they're normalizing the ditribution to the population like you say, then the same proportion of people are scoring perfect scores as it was 30 years ago. Theres just more people taking the test because 1. Theres more people and 2. There's more people going to college than 30 years ago.

ACT scores have actually also been following the same trend as IQ tests. The mean score increased to a peak in 2007 and has declined gradually since. Yet, the millenial and Z scores are still above the mean of 30 years ago. Regardless, ACT isn't an IQ test. It's a college-readiness test to see how prepared you are.

You are also making a massive error in comparing the 1920s and 2020s. Let's say for arguments sakes the average high schooler today couldn't get a 70% on a 1920s eight grade math test. Lets play that game. You've made a huge error if you then assume that the average 8th grader in 1920 is more intelligent than the average 2020's high schooler.

Because the average 8th grader in 1920 wasn't even in school. Today, everyone has to go until they're 16. Most stay at least until 18. Back then very few (not to mention when the Depression started) were going to school. Public schooling hadn't even begun. Only the wealthy and highly intelligent were getting an education in 8th grade. The average 8th grader hadn't been in a classroom for a few years at that point.

Its the same mistake people male today arguing that India's children are more intelligent than America's. Because India's students are doing higher level schooling at a younger age than ours are. The problem is that the vast majority of India's youth arent in school or get kicked out for poor scores or behavior. So the average income and education level in India is below ours. 1920s education was like that.
Never forget. I played racquetball with several Indians. Already doctors but over here to get public health degrees. I said something about Indians being better educated. He laughed, "You think that because we leave the dumb ones in India."

Always think of that when people talk about other countries education. Our perception is skewed to who we see.

That's why I haven't nicknamed her yet. If she's as bad as Kellie I'll lean toward prettier Kellie. Hope like the dickens I don't have to go down that route. I'm hoping for "Exciting Kimie"
Kimmy Stink Eyes. She’s cute until she burns a hole in your face like she did John Adams.

But kids aren’t the only ones who find baseball less interesting than other sports. This isn’t a recent trend. It isn’t so much about knowledge of the sport, it’s that football and basketball are flat out more exciting. Imo the decline of baseball has little to do with society, and more to do with the rise of football and basketball.
Baseball didn't "decline". Football and basketball ASCENDED. Baseball network deals keep expanding upwards. Generational fan interest keeps it viable. NHL labor dispute revealed about a decade ago that their hand wasn't as stacked. Yet, their cult devoted fandom keeps them relatively stable and happy. Baseball is third in market share but players like Ohtani will be billionaires by the time they retire.

That's not remotely true. ACT isn't an IQ test, so you can't use the change in ACT test difficulty to say IQ tests have changed in difficulty. The IQ test scale is the same.

Also, I assume by "a 36 today isnt the same as a 36 30 years ago" you mean because we have an increase in perfect scores in the last 10 years. Yes, because the population has increased and there's more resources available to students for test tutoring (its a huge business) and practicing. If they're normalizing the ditribution to the population like you say, then the same proportion of people are scoring perfect scores as it was 30 years ago. Theres just more people taking the test because 1. Theres more people and 2. There's more people going to college than 30 years ago.

ACT scores have actually also been following the same trend as IQ tests. The mean score increased to a peak in 2007 and has declined gradually since. Yet, the millenial and Z scores are still above the mean of 30 years ago. Regardless, ACT isn't an IQ test. It's a college-readiness test to see how prepared you are.

You are also making a massive error in comparing the 1920s and 2020s. Let's say for arguments sakes the average high schooler today couldn't get a 70% on a 1920s eight grade math test. Lets play that game. You've made a huge error if you then assume that the average 8th grader in 1920 is more intelligent than the average 2020's high schooler.

Because the average 8th grader in 1920 wasn't even in school. Today, everyone has to go until they're 16. Most stay at least until 18. Back then very few (not to mention when the Depression started) were going to school. Public schooling hadn't even begun. Only the wealthy and highly intelligent were getting an education in 8th grade. The average 8th grader hadn't been in a classroom for a few years at that point.

Its the same mistake people male today arguing that India's children are more intelligent than America's. Because India's students are doing higher level schooling at a younger age than ours are. The problem is that the vast majority of India's youth arent in school or get kicked out for poor scores or behavior. So the average income and education level in India is below ours. 1920s education was like that.
I agree with your overall point, but the education standards back then were more rigorous. Laura Ingles Wilder taught poor farmer kids who could do things only really really smart kids can do today.

Intelligence and smart need to be defined.

Intelligence is capacity/abiloty to learn and apply.
Smart is intelligence + education/experience.

People are not more or less intelligent I'd think. The average smartness probably has gone up simply due to more widely available education.

But there is some truth in what he's saying that the top kids back then could do what we would consider advanced calculus and had the periodic table memorized in high school. But that's because they viewed it as higher education and by then filtered out anyone without the foundational learning required.

Reactions: SoilVol
Never forget. I played racquetball with several Indians. Already doctors but over here to get public health degrees. I said something about Indians being better educated. He laughed, "You think that because we leave the dumb ones in India."

Always think of that when people talk about other countries education. Our perception is skewed to who we see.
No joke, the exact same thing three that I am getting my degree with right now have said independently. Only 1 wants to go back and thats just because he wants to bring his community out of poverty.

One of them was about 5ft tall and 85lbs soaking wet. Severely malnourished. He told me the reason he's so small was because growing up he made the decision to only eat 1 meal a day to save his family money to send him to a second school. He went to a day school, and his grandmother gave her entire savings to send him to a night school after that. That's how poor they were. His own mother, his cousins, and his village relentlessly bullied him for it and made fun of him for going to school beyond what was required. Until he got into India's best engineering school then got a masters program in the states. Now works for a Ag engineering company in Missouri making BANK.

He's paid his grandmother back plus some. His village and family beg him for money now and he's been dealing with those conflicted feelings on whether to help.

Second part of that was that he wanted us to provide a vehicle for him to drive the 100yards to the student house from the main building at our facility so he wouldn't get attacked by a tiger. He literally had no idea that America didn't have tigers. Tbf, he's ripe pickin's for a feral housecat.

I agree with your overall point, but the education standards back then were more rigorous. Laura Ingles Wilder taught poor farmer kids who could do things only really really smart kids can do today.

Intelligence and smart need to be defined.

Intelligence is capacity/abiloty to learn and apply.
Smart is intelligence + education/experience.

People are not more or less intelligent I'd think. The average smartness probably has gone up simply due to more widely available education.

But there is some truth in what he's saying that the top kids back then could do what we would consider advanced calculus and had the periodic table memorized in high school. But that's because they viewed it as higher education and by then filtered out anyone without the foundational learning required.
I agree with that totally. My disagreement is about the "average." There was a much larger disparity in education level then, and the average was much lower. As was the median.

Some of the greatest minds in history have come from that era. I think there's something to be said for our current system actually stifling the development of great minds because we try to keep every kid on the same level by age instead of ability. So many highly advanced kids sit around bored because they have to sit through lessons that are easy for them and they already know just so an educator can spend more time with a student that takes longer or just flat out doesnt care. Also, for a long time we've treated ADHD kids as though they aren't as capable, when in reality once you get to Masters and PhD level I'd argue (at least in STEM) most of them have some form of ADHD or Autism because of their ability to hyperfixate on a topic that stimulates their interest. The reason they're a problem/distraction in an structured school system is a lack of intellectual stimulation.

Plus people with those attributes are a better fit for academia than industry because of their personality and social awkwardness. Not that they're any smarter than someone with a HS, BA/BS, or anything but that the structure of scientific method and experimentation is a great fit for their mental quirks and wiring.

I'm confused why this conversation about intelligence now and 100 years ago is centered around baseball?

One thing I will say about the people of the past, they were far better wordsmiths. Very eloquent in their writing and speech. We don't really have that anymore.
😂It all started when I said I don’t like to watch baseball unless it’s my kids or Vols because it’s boring. Someone responded that people are not intelligent enough if they don’t like baseball because they can’t understand everything going on.

Sorry!

A couple things and we will end this.
First, by the standard of formal systematic education I would rank and I'm almost as smart as my uneducated farmer of a dad, God rest his soul. I also know and interact with a lot of other people who you would rate as highly educated and my dog could beat them in battle of wits.
Second, if you really believe that people on average are so much smarter today than in the past, then how do you explain the daily idiocy we see everyday? Example: I heard several people say that the eclipse was going to make all technology malfunction. Are you kidding? It's a shadow you moron. Ancients knew what an eclipse was.
Lastly if you believe more time spent in school is equal to more education then I summit you as proof of my original premise.
I work in academia. I know I'm surrounded by idiots and also brilliant people. Again you fail to understand that education level is an actual measure of time spent in school, by definition, and not intelligence. That's why you shouldn't assume someone with a high level of education has a high IQ. It's just that the odds are people with higher levels of education are smarter than the general population.

I don't understand what part of that is confusing you. I think its because you have your own idea of what all these words mean, and that idea is not consistent with their actual meaning.

Edit: and btw, people can be self educated through outside resources from an institution. Apprenticeships, reading/learning science through literature, working with their hands, learning through extension services (if you work in agriculture). You dont have to have a piece of paper.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I'm confused why this conversation about intelligence now and 100 years ago is centered around baseball?

One thing I will say about the people of the past, they were far better wordsmiths. Very eloquent in their writing and speech. We don't really have that anymore.
He said people who don't enjoy watching baseball are too stupid to understand it. Which is why he says baseball was more popular 100 years ago because people were smarter then and today's population is dumber.

Reactions: LaagerVol
😂It all started when I said I don’t like to watch baseball unless it’s my kids or Vols because it’s boring. Someone responded that people are not intelligent enough if they don’t like baseball because they can’t understand everything going on.

Sorry!
200w.gif

Actually a interesting conversation about how individuals believe baseball is a easy game to play and boring to watch.
Idk if anyone said it was easy to play. It's easy to understand. It's definitely a difficult game. I used to think it was boring but I actually quite enjoy watching it now.

VN Store

Back