Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

I really feel like none of this would be happening if not for recruiting woes and the distinct possibility of being 2 years away from being the next school to hold open tryouts after a couple of injuries bc the roster is so darn thin - not even on talent but sheer numbers. Soooo let's see what the roster looks like a month from now. Recruiting will be everything to get back on track and assistants are critical to that process so too many unanswered questions to panic.

Interesting that the players did not immediately run to the portal in the past week. The only one that immediately bailed was Tamari. While they all seemed to like Harper, it is possible they also sensed a need for a change. It's possible for both to be true at the same time. Use the breath of fresh air and appeal of her style of play (and improved NIL) to get some missing pieces... let's see where it goes🤞🏻🤞🏻
Absolutely. I feel like many of our players are rising seniors who’ve been here forever and wanted to wait for the hire to decide on that last year. Inclination is probably to stay rather than go. Also some of them may not have a ton of other options w just a year left.

Question isn’t so much who goes but who comes. Without a very good young post and at least one elite scorer out of the portal it was already going to be a very tough year. Let’s see what the portal interest is now.

She will get athlete's on the same level as other SEC schools. This is the Lady Vols we're talking about. When those players get here she'll just keep on winning like everywhere else she's been. I don't think it will take long. I think she'll have a competitive team in year 1.
I’ll just say again I feel like people who say this just haven’t watched very closely.

Will all of the people praising the hire still be doing the same when she doesn’t make the NCAA Tournament next year? Not her fault. She’s a proven d2 coach, but keep that same energy next March.

Again, her saving grace is that DW will get her NIL money so he can save face from firing our top 3-4 SEC coach. Hopefully she schedules a good portion of the Conference USA as opposed to our #1 schedule nationally this past season with 20 wins.
A top 3-4 SEC head coach is all Kellie Harper was ever going to be. If you are happy with that you sure have set the standards low for the once dominate Lady Vols.

I would rather end up at the bottom of the SEC trying for the Championship.

3rd place is still a loser at the end of the Tournament.

Reactions: Volwonder1
A top 3-4 SEC head coach is all Kellie Harper was ever going to be. If you are happy with that you sure have set the standards low for the once dominate Lady Vols.

WTF? Some of our newer posters may not be familiar with Div 1 and the SEC. We actually do try for championships in the top 3-4, not at the bottom.

Which is why it’s so hard to understand why AD would bottom us out instead of building up from where we were.

WTF? Some of our newer posters may not be familiar with Div 1 and the SEC. We actually do try for championships in the top 3-4, not at the bottom.

Which is why it’s so hard to understand why AD would bottom us out instead of building up from where we were.
And you know he bottomed us out how?

you’d rather end up at the bottom than finish 3-4. what? we should NEVER be at the bottom of the SEC. teams ranked 1-4 usually battle for the championship.

And you know he bottomed us out how?
Because absent an absolute recruiting miracle from a coach who just told us she doesn’t know how to recruit at this level, our roster has deep holes that a coach with no experience at this level has very minimal realistic chances of covering. Other than that. . .

Jon’s Twitter is kind of interesting. His last two posts are about the games against Ohio State and MTSU. Nothing after that.

That’s when I was ready to pull the plug, makes you wonder if that was when they were put on notice.

Jon’s Twitter is kind of interesting. His last two posts are about the games against Ohio State and MTSU. Nothing after that.

That’s when I was ready to pull the plug, makes you wonder if that was when they were put on notice.
Dear God. You’re still on Jon? Ever enough?

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Because absent an absolute recruiting miracle from a coach who just told us she doesn’t know how to recruit at this level, our roster has deep holes that a coach with no experience at this level has very minimal realistic chances of covering. Other than that. . .
HMMM. Who allowed the team to have those deep holes? Have you seen any of her recruits here at TN? Perhaps if you waited until the recruiting and portal cycles were completed you would have a better argument than “I think”.

Yeah we got our first choice. A coach that VT had ZERO interest in and we waited a feee extra days for. We definitely didn’t offer any other coaches 😉
Please share your vast knowledge of who we offered other than CKC.

VN Store

Back