'24 TN DL Carson Gentle (Tennessee)

He'd have to focus on eating more and strength training instead of wrestling. It's hard as hell to put on much weight during wrestling season unless it's bad weight. Wrestling practice would have basically started for him right after the state championship football game.
My grandson quit football and took up wrestling, he's lost 25 pounds in a short time

Would rather him prepare for football honestly unless he plans on wrestling in college too…
I bet he doesn't care. Lol

The kid loves the sport and has 1 more opportunity to compete in it. There's nothing wrong with that. Just like Nico finishing his high school volleyball career.

Who says you have to EE to get a jump on preparing your body for the absolute highest level of D-1 College Football?
I assure you wrestling training will have his body prepared for the highest level of D1 college football.

He's in the 285lb weight class. He can be competing while also building GOOD weight with muscle mass. There's no point in him bulking right now and putting on bad weight.

I'd rather these guys come in slightly under weight, in shape, and ripped than soft and out of shape.

I bet he doesn't care. Lol

The kid loves the sport and has 1 more opportunity to compete in it. There's nothing wrong with that. Just like Nico finishing his high school volleyball career.
Not exactly an oranges to oranges comparison.

Brings back memories of Cortez McDowell and his infamous baseball tournament lol.

I assure you wrestling training will have his body prepared for the highest level of D1 college football.

He's in the 285lb weight class. He can be competing while also building GOOD weight with muscle mass. There's no point in him bulking right now and putting on bad weight.

I'd rather these guys come in slightly under weight, in shape, and ripped than soft and out of shape.
285 lb weight class changes the calculus slightly, and is good to hear.

Nobody wants him to put on bad weight. But not sure why not wrestling would mean he came in “soft and out of shape”?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Not exactly an oranges to oranges comparison.

Brings back memories of Cortez McDowell and his infamous baseball tournament lol.
Neither player expected to significantly contribute day 1, both already high level athletes in great physical condition, coaching staff fully supportive of their decisions to compete and finish their other sports, etc.

Do we know what weight the staff wants him at? Are they wanting him to get fat before he steps on campus or do they want him at his natural weight? Do we know he ISN'T bulking right now while wrestling or are we just assuming it?

He likely started the season 30+ lbs under the weight class maximum. He can eat literally whatever he wants while staying in incredible shape during the offseason. He will probably be in better condition and will still be at the target weight by the time he arrives.

Why are we hand wringing?

Neither player expected to significantly contribute day 1, both already high level athletes in great physical condition, coaching staff fully supportive of their decisions to compete and finish their other sports, etc.

Do we know what weight the staff wants him at? Are they wanting him to get fat before he steps on campus or do they want him at his natural weight? Do we know he ISN'T bulking right now while wrestling or are we just assuming it?

He likely started the season 30+ lbs under the weight class maximum. He can eat literally whatever he wants while staying in incredible shape during the offseason. He will probably be in better condition and will still be at the target weight by the time he arrives.

Why are we hand wringing?
No one is hand wringing. He’s all upside.

No one knows if Carson Gentle will be successful at Tennessee. We’ll have to wait and see, and hope.

But his success will largely hinge on how well he transitions from ~230 lb HS linebacker to a 260-270 College DL.

His choice. Hope he makes a successful transition.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
No one is hand wringing. He’s all upside.

No one knows if Carson Gentle will be successful at Tennessee. We’ll have to wait and see, and hope.

But his success will largely hinge on how well he transitions from ~230 lb HS linebacker to a 260-270 College DL.

His choice. Hope he makes a successful transition.
Actually, he transitioned from DL to linebacker just this season to help his team win another State Championship. He'll be ready.

The good thing about losing wrestling weight is that it returns easily. So much of it is water weight. Besides, the staff is going to want to add good weight, meaning trim fat, add muscle. The weight he’s losing won’t be muscle weight.

Really? Didn't know that. Why did they?

Title IX. Program was disbanded after the 1988 season... even though UT had a NCAA champ (Chris Edmond) in 85.

McCallie defeated Baylor for the first time in 19 years last nite.

Last edited:
Title IX. Program was disbanded after the 1988 season... even though UT had a NCAA champ (Chris Edmond) in 85.

I have no dog in the McCallie/Bayor fight but that’s a great story and sounds like this Gentle kid is the kind of tough guy you want in your foxhole.

MSFB

He's not very gentle on his opponents.

Big fan of this skillset.

Go Vols
Told y’all awhile ago that Carson is a top tier athlete. Look at a wrestling match between Steveson and Parris. NCAA heavyweight final in 2021. Two of the best heavyweights in awhile. Carson moves as well as they do. Obviously these guys are off the charts skill level wise but athletically, Carson is just as gifted.

Told y’all awhile ago that Carson is a top tier athlete. Look at a wrestling match between Steveson and Parris. NCAA heavyweight final in 2021. Two of the best heavyweights in awhile. Carson moves as well as they do. Obviously these guys are off the charts skill level wise but athletically, Carson is just as gifted.
I am going to closely follow all of our big boned 3 Star guys from this class. Especially this guy who I think was our first to jump on board. Watched him in the state PLAYOFFS and was impressed. Wrestlers intrigue me with the whole leverage and quick hands thing, on both sides of the ball. Endurance is usually there too.

Getting 4 Stars is good, getting undervalued 3 Stars can really make a class. Some are late bloomers and won’t be early contributors, but CAN still have high ceilings. Gotta admit the younger Heard at 6’9” is an oddity, but overall I like the risk/reward potential for our lower star guys.

VN Store

Back