'24 TN DL Carson Gentle (Tennessee)

I told y’all way back earlier in his thread, that Carson has some of the best footwork I’ve seen on a lineman. That, coupled with strong hands and solid base/hips, makes him very formidable in wrestling. I live next to the Ag/expo center in Franklin where they hold lots of wrestling tournaments. They are really fun to attend. I’d encourage people to go watch a tournament or two. Wrestlers are just different and they carry themselves differently.

I would think you would want to walk around above 285 and cut weight day or.

My point was to highlight that his ranking is even more impressive considering he is likely giving up a lot of size to most, if not all of his competitors.
This is a ranking of private school wrestlers, not of all high school athletes. Still an impressive ranking for a wrestler from the southeast!

I would think you would want to walk around above 285 and cut weight day or.

My point was to highlight that his ranking is even more impressive considering he is likely giving up a lot of size to most, if not all of his competitors.
Not necessarily. Gable Stevenson for example is largely considered the greatest heavyweight in college wrestling history and one of the greatest at any weight class. Also an olympic gold medalist (Tokyo) where he outscored his opponents 44-1. He weighed about 250 at 6'1". In the finals of NCAAs he wrestled Adam Coon (drafted by the Titans) who is 6'5" and right at 285lbs. When you're smaller you make up for it by being quicker. You can push the pace and work angles faster and it makes it difficult for the larger guys to keep up.

Now, Stevenson is a freak of nature. Generational wrestling talent. But, its not uncommon in high school to wrestle your 215 up to heavyweight in duel meets and get the win.

Not necessarily. Gable Stevenson for example is largely considered the greatest heavyweight in college wrestling history and one of the greatest at any weight class. Also an olympic gold medalist (Tokyo) where he outscored his opponents 44-1. He weighed about 250 at 6'1". In the finals of NCAAs he wrestled Adam Coon (drafted by the Titans) who is 6'5" and right at 285lbs. When you're smaller you make up for it by being quicker. You can push the pace and work angles faster and it makes it difficult for the larger guys to keep up.

Now, Stevenson is a freak of nature. Generational wrestling talent. But, its not uncommon in high school to wrestle your 215 up to heavyweight in duel meets and get the win.
That and so many high school heavyweights are total stiffs. A really good athlete in the 220 -230 range will win most of the time even if he’s limited in skills / experience. A skilled good athlete will rarely lose at heavyweight. Most big athletes focus on football where the moneys at.

Reactions: SoilVol

Gable is an unusual first name…….unless you’re named after the great Dan Gable👊🏻

This is a ranking of private school wrestlers, not of all high school athletes. Still an impressive ranking for a wrestler from the southeast!
Prep schools - yes. Southeast, no. Many are from wrestling schools like Blair and Malvern). Most from New England. The Carter Neves kid is from Blair Academy and is a Ohio State Wrestling Commit.

That and so many high school heavyweights are total stiffs. A really good athlete in the 220 -230 range will win most of the time even if he’s limited in skills / experience. A skilled good athlete will rarely lose at heavyweight. Most big athletes focus on football where the moneys at.
It’s not that most big athletes focus on football, it’s that wrestling is extremely demanding on your body and mind. Way more than any other sport. We would get amazing athletes come and want to learn BJJ at the gym and they couldn’t cut it. Quit very quickly. Wrestling is more demanding than even BJJ.

It’s not that most big athletes focus on football, it’s that wrestling is extremely demanding on your body and mind. Way more than any other sport. We would get amazing athletes come and want to learn BJJ at the gym and they couldn’t cut it. Quit very quickly. Wrestling is more demanding than even BJJ.
the weight management aspect is a HUGE issue. and just really dumb and unhealthy.

the weight management aspect is a HUGE issue. and just really dumb and unhealthy.
Between 215-285? Really. How many healthy athletes are above 285 in highschool? I know some of these kids we look at for linemen are 300 but a lot of that is fat.

If you are talking weight management for some of the really light weight kids….I would agree but the range for heavyweight is huge and a non factor.

You could say the same thing for football, but its the opposite direction. You often see linemen lose weight after they retire from football because their playing weight is 1. Unnatural and 2. Unhealthy. How many time do we hear about guys having to gorge themselves to get UP to football weight? It was a topic for Pearce and even a couple pages back for Gentle.

VN Store

Back