'24 TN DL Carson Gentle (Tennessee)

Will probably stay at SDE and possibly move inside only on passing downs. It's hard to see him ever being bigger than @280lbs.
This kid will probably be 250 ish as a freshman.

6'3 250.

Aaron Donald was as lean as 250 as a true freshman.
Aaron Donald was 6'1 255

Gentle has exactly that SDE body mold that could also be 3rd down DT later in his career at UT.

I can see him being 6'3 290 one day

6'3 250.

Aaron Donald was 6'1 255

Gentle has exactly that SDE body mold that could also be 3rd down DT later in his career at UT.

Possibly. I don't know if he can maintain his quickness at that size. I guess we'll see in a couple of years.

6'3 250.

Aaron Donald was 6'1 255

Agree with all of this.

The great thing about the way Garner uses DL is that there is so much versatility among the positions. For instance, Matthew Butler is just a 3-tech in most defenses. At Tennessee, he could line up as a 3-tech, 5-tech, or anywhere other than LEO, depending on down and distance. I’m guilty of getting caught up in what position guys will play on the DL, but the truth is, we just need guys who are capable and can fill the various roles required on a Garner DLine. Gentle fits that bill.

Agree with all of this.

The great thing about the way Garner uses DL is that there is so much versatility among the positions. For instance, Matthew Butler is just a 3-tech in most defenses. At Tennessee, he could line up as a 3-tech, 5-tech, or anywhere other than LEO, depending on down and distance. I’m guilty of getting caught up in what position guys will play on the DL, but the truth is, we just need guys who are capable and can fill the various roles required on a Garner DLine. Gentle fits that bill.
Great point

Reactions: bigvol67
This kid is impressive and I am glad he is All Orange. Just happy he did not go to Bama where holding is legal. He would have been a freshman All-American.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
He’s been committed for quite some time. I bet he’s 260+ and ready to compete for PT the SDE Baron role.
He's not 260 right now because it's wrestling season. He's going for a state title there. He'll likely redshirt this fall unless he finds a role on special teams. Not due to talent, but because he's a summer enrollee and depth at that position.

He's not 260 right now because it's wrestling season. He's going for a state title there. He'll likely redshirt this fall unless he finds a role on special teams. Not due to talent, but because he's a summer enrollee and depth at that position.
Would rather him prepare for football honestly unless he plans on wrestling in college too…

Why isn’t he bulking up now?

Yes, I know it’s wrestling season. Yes, I realize he would be required to make weight.

Why isn’t he bulking up right now?

Would rather him prepare for football honestly unless he plans on wrestling in college too…
Would being on campus right now change anything? Based off the depth chart he's not touching the field even as an EE. I would rather the him do what makes him happy has a HS student. He will show up in the summer in great shape and no bad weight.

I think he's one of our most underrated recruits but let's level set expectations. He will probably get garbage time snaps in in 2025 and be competing for real minutes in 2026. He does some things very well, but he's transitioning from playing MLB out of need to being a DE in the SEC.

Wrestling is in full swing so it's too late for that. I don't have a problem with kids participating in winter/spring sports their final year if they have a chance to win a championship. You don't get a chance at that again. Signing day used to only be in February, so early enrolling wasn't even an option.

Wrestling is in full swing so it's too late for that. I don't have a problem with kids participating in winter/spring sports their final year if they have a chance to win a championship. You don't get a chance at that again. Signing day used to only be in February, so early enrolling wasn't even an option.
Who says you have to EE to get a jump on preparing your body for the absolute highest level of D-1 College Football?

Why isn’t he bulking up now?

Yes, I know it’s wrestling season. Yes, I realize he would be required to make weight.

Why isn’t he bulking up right now?
He'd have to focus on eating more and strength training instead of wrestling. It's hard as hell to put on much weight during wrestling season unless it's bad weight. Wrestling practice would have basically started for him right after the state championship football game.

Who says you have to EE to get a jump on preparing your body for the absolute highest level of D-1 College Football?
It has more to do with participating in another sport and dedicating your time to that. Football season is football, basketball season is basketball, track, baseball, wrestling etc.....
Most high level, multi-sport athletes concentrate on the sport they are currently participating in.

He'd have to focus on eating more and strength training instead of wrestling. It's hard as hell to put on much weight during wrestling season unless it's bad weight. Wrestling practice would have basically started for him right after the state championship football game.
Lol I thought I was laying it on thick there, but apparently not thick enough.

I realize it is HS wrestling season.
I realize he likes to HS wrassle.
I realize he would have to make weight.

And my only question is - Why is he not eating everything in sight right now and putting on as much good weight as possible in preparation for his actual future as CFB player?

VN Store

Back