Is Bituli out for Alabama?

Yes. That was such a marginal call on Bituli. I would not have called it if I was the ref.
You think so? I knew when it happened in real time that it was targeting. I thought for sure we were about to see multiple targeting calls on that one play. Taylor could have been flagged also. Both had their eyes facing the grass. Cannot do that when making a tackle.

Reactions: 08Vol
JP explained it perfectly. Bituli came in with his eyes and head down.You need to tackle with your eyes up. JP's words and I agree.He said it was a great teaching moment.
This all day. We were taught from youth football all the way through highschool to keep your head up. It's for your safety and the player you are hitting. Your facemask should always be up going into the ball carrier. If you cannot see the player you are hitting you are playing dangerously. Even before the targeting rule was made, this was proper technique.

The rule is very easy. You are out for the remainder of the half you are in and then the next half whenever that occurs. Obviously picking up a targeting penalty with a minute left in a half is less of a penalty than the first minute of a half. In this case Bituli will miss 31 minutes of game time.

Reactions: feathersax
Targeting rule needs to be re-looked. I get what they are doing, but the punishment should fit the crime and not be a one size fits all.
Agree. Is it just me or did it seem to take WAY to freaking long to make the call. Also the Auburn player was not defenseless and he lowered his head as well. This rule should defiantly be looked at.

Isnt an Ohio State player allowed to be ejected from a half in this game, play in the bowl game, then miss the 1st half of the scrub opener in the following season, especially when said player is likely to leave for the NFL early? I can't remember.

Reactions: feathersax
Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol and ksgovols
I like that cjp says that because it is the right approach for a coach to take. I am not a ut football coach and I think the call and/or the rule is bad.

First of all AU player was not defenseless and lowered his own head to deflect the blows. If he wanted to protect his head or get a targeting call then he should have run in standing up. Good luck with that by the way.

None of the Tn players "launched" to specifically make contact with AU players helmet.This was just a football play that looked "scary" because it was 3 on 1.

I would have done nothing different than the Tennessee guys or heck even the Auburn guy.

I am glad they only got one player, I anticipated all 3 would be tossed.
You must have been sober when you watched the play, or a very efficient metabolizer.

It’s simply not fair to penalize a guy for hitting someone who is trying to run them over. When Bituli was ejected the guy he hit had his head down also, how is it fair to penalize the defender and not the ball carrier? If they start penalizing the ball carriers for lowering their heads they might as well put flags on them. Point blank you cannot remove contact from a contact sport.

JP even agreed with the call. Bituli should have kept his eyes up and focused per coach. May not like the rules, but it is what it is.

Reactions: 08Vol

Attachments

• 53EF0378-1DAB-4322-9110-AAA66ACB73A7.jpeg
    53EF0378-1DAB-4322-9110-AAA66ACB73A7.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 19
That was targeting yet the helmet hit into Guarantano's chest in another game was not really? This is how terrible officiating can be.

only Alabama gets away with that stuff...it was a bad call anyway...:mad:

GO VOLS...BEAT BAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Targeting rule needs to be re-looked. I get what they are doing, but the punishment should fit the crime and not be a one size fits all.

They review every targeting penalty on the field to see if targeting took place. What more can they do? The onus is on the players to not go high. The refs can take into account if the player being hit lowered his head first, which IMO happened on that play. But it is what it is and it’s not going to change during this season. Just be thankful we’re not the NFL where you can’t breathe on a QB without being penalized.

1st half only. Let's just get past this game and to a winnable USCe game. There is no question we can win out if improvement continues. There is no reason to be worried about kenturkey or candy. We know what they usually do at the end of the year... they lose to Tennessee down the stretch and help us make a bowl game, which is what they will do this year. Misery is not overly impressive. We should be able to run the ball on them and keep the ball out of locks hands. Kenturkey: just stack the box 80% of the time. Candy just hit them in the mouth and watch them fold. Its going to get better because we have a real coach, finally. Also, Keep throwing the ball deep

He lowered the boom and knocked the ball loose. I’ve only seen what they showed during the game, it seemed like a fair call. If it weren’t for the rules protecting players it was s great hit, since the newish rules it got flagged.
If you place no responsibility on the ball carrier, OK. But, in this case three defense players are at the same level and doubled over near waist high, the runner is upright, then he doubles over thereby leading with his helmet. No one player at fault "just a football play". How do you "place blame on any of these players"?? Just BULL SHI- call.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
He got screwed(JMO) and is out for the first half.
Not really, technically they could have flagged Alontea Taylor as well on the play. Both led with the crown of their helmets. If you watch the replay, you can Bituli coiling to launch himself.

If you place no responsibility on the ball carrier, OK. But, in this case three defense players are at the same level and doubled over near waist high, the runner is upright, then he doubles over thereby leading with his helmet. No one player at fault "just a football play". How do you "place blame on any of these players"?? Just BULL SHI- call.
One thing to remember, this rule was put in place to protect the tackler as well as the one being tackled. It would not have mattered if he had hit the RB in the chest, they could have called Bituli for targeting because he launched with the crown of his helmet. The same kind of hit cost a very popular pro linebacker his career not that long ago.

Reactions: ksgovols
I’m not saying he’s going to hop in there and start, but he could see playing time
The man that makes the decisions isn’t saying anything about him and I fact said he doesn’t expect him to be game ready until the end of this season. That article from wherever just said he’s doing drills, not working with the ones and twos which is about all you do in season. He’s not going to see the field for a while

VN Store

Back