Is Bituli out for Alabama?

One thing to remember, this rule was put in place to protect the tackler as well as the one being tackled. It would not have mattered if he had hit the RB in the chest, they could have called Bituli for targeting because he launched with the crown of his helmet. The same kind of hit cost a very popular pro linebacker his career not that long ago.

I disagree that he launched. He coiled and lunged forward but did not leave his feet. Leaving his feet would be the only way we could call it a launch, unless we are in North Korea. They "launch" missiles all the time that never leave the ground. Google it, those launches are funny.

As for the crown of the helmet. There is a fine line between what used to be called "spearing" which constituted head down and injury time for the tackler. Bituili angles his head any lower and yeah he is risking spinal cord injury but his contact angle was not too low.

I disagree that he launched. He coiled and lunged forward but did not leave his feet. Leaving his feet would be the only way we could call it a launch, unless we are in North Korea. They "launch" missiles all the time that never leave the ground. Google it, those launches are funny.

As for the crown of the helmet. There is a fine line between what used to be called "spearing" which constituted head down and injury time for the tackler. Bituili angles his head any lower and yeah he is risking spinal cord injury but his contact angle was not too low.
Point taken, but as an earlier poster pointed out, even CJP agreed that it was a good call for targeting and that the tackler should always look at what he is hitting. He did not question the call at all. Given the rule, this will get called every time.

If you place no responsibility on the ball carrier, OK. But, in this case three defense players are at the same level and doubled over near waist high, the runner is upright, then he doubles over thereby leading with his helmet. No one player at fault "just a football play". How do you "place blame on any of these players"?? Just BULL SHI- call.
It’s definitely a gray area type rule. Ever since I can remember(Facemasks have always been involved.) it has been taught at the moment of contact to get lower than the other guy. Now due to safety rugby type tackling is the new way.

I think they should change the name of the penalty. Targeting. The guy with the ball or about to get the ball is the target of many large men with possible bad intention. Maybe not to injure the other guy but at least to knock him off his feet in a violent manner scuffing him up and knocking the fight out of him.

What’s up with not being able to hit a defenseless player? There is no price to pay for going across the middle.

These new rules change the game. It’s hard to get used to them as a fan, I’m sure it’s a tough adjustment for players going full blast.

The man that makes the decisions isn’t saying anything about him and I fact said he doesn’t expect him to be game ready until the end of this season. That article from wherever just said he’s doing drills, not working with the ones and twos which is about all you do in season. He’s not going to see the field for a while

That’s from Finger’s practice thread, which are quotes and exerpts from reporters and writers that are at practices, who said that he’s working with Darrell Taylor, Deandre Johnson, Austin Smith, Jordan Allen and Kivon Bennet...who at this point are all ones and twos besides Bennett.
So yes, it’s a possiblility he could see playing time. Unless you know he won’t be she’s you are a coach who knows for a fact he won’t play.

Targeting rule needs to be re-looked. I get what they are doing, but the punishment should fit the crime and not be a one size fits all.
The rule is to protect him and if he Bituli uses the technic that Pruitt teaches no one would get the call.

He lowered the boom and knocked the ball loose. I’ve only seen what they showed during the game, it seemed like a fair call. If it weren’t for the rules protecting players it was s great hit, since the newish rules it got flagged.

Yes it is what was formerly known as "football". That game is long gone, replaced with Sarcastaball.

Reactions: give_him 6
The rule is to protect him and if he Bituli uses the technic that Pruitt teaches no one would get the call.

You must have skipped over the part where I wrote “I get what their doing.”

I understand the call, but way too often these calls are ticky-tack and like my original post said, “the punishment doesn’t always fit the crime.” If these hits were Chuck Cecil hits, then yes, hitting a team 3 times (personal foul, ejection, and suspension) would be appropriate. Again, I understand the rule, but the play and the call on the field is not always black and white. There needs to be some level of interpretation, eapeciallly with having replay at their disposal.

Pruitt said he lowered his head.

Yes it is what was formerly known as "football". That game is long gone, replaced with Sarcastaball.

Bit hits were the best part of football. Now we have to settle for great cuts, great moves, great throws and great catches.

The good news is that there weren’t that many of those super hits per game. But the prevention of those super hits has altered the way tackles are attempted creating more missed tackles.

Its sad to see how soft the sport of football is becoming. I am pretty sure Bituli can play the second half.

Aside from the fact these young men risk life-changing injury for our amusement every time they lace up, we know many of them will accumulate perhaps debilitating conditions from the hard knocks we cheer.

I don't have a problem with it becoming "soft".

Just hit me if Bituli is allowed to serve his penalty in the pressbox above watching the game it might give him some perspective leading the defense in the last half.

With Bituli sidelined for half and kongbo injury JJ Peterson is getting reps at outside LB 😮😮😮

So for MLB it’d be..DKjr, Sapp, Ignont and..Reid i guess? I’m sure Bituli could see time in both positions Saturday

to me this type of "targeting" is incidental...quite frankly there was not time for Bituli to react and therefore should not lead to purposeful targeting

Pruitt said he lowered his head.
Yes. It's a pretty easy rule. If you can see the grass when you hit the ball carrier in the head it's targeting. Had the facemask been up then the hit would not have been targeting. If you can see the grass then your head is lowered. The crown of your helmet will make contact which will make it targeting. On the left the eyes are up. If his head stays this way when he makes contact, even if contact is helmet to helmet, it would not have been called. However during the hit his head was down allowing the crown of the helmet to make contact with the ball carrier's helmet. It was targeting by definition. Keep your eyes on the ball carrier. Had this hit been delivered to one of our players, nobody on here would be saying it shouldn't have been called.

Eyes up meaning helmet is up = No targeting vs Eyes down meaning the crown of the helmet contact = Targeting
Targeting.PNG

Last edited:
That’s from Finger’s practice thread, which are quotes and exerpts from reporters and writers that are at practices, who said that he’s working with Darrell Taylor, Deandre Johnson, Austin Smith, Jordan Allen and Kivon Bennet...who at this point are all ones and twos besides Bennett.
So yes, it’s a possiblility he could see playing time. Unless you know he won’t be she’s you are a coach who knows for a fact he won’t play.
He’s just doing drills. It says nothing about he practicing with the ones and twos in game prep. Coach says he’s on the scout team and won’t be ready. Until I hear something else that he’s in the game plan I’m going with that.

VN Store

Back