Is anyone else just....bored with it?

I feel the same way more or less OP. I will watch every snap of every game, but it just isn't as fun. It is almost boring. I went from getting upset, to straight up apathy. Hopefully, something will start to click with the team, and we can start seeing some exciting football.

It not so much as boring as the seemingly lack of enthusiasm. There are only about three players whoever seem to get fired up on the field...Guarantano, Jennings, and Banks.

Reactions: Rocky Top Raby
How ironic that after all the years of having coaches that knew jack squat about winning football and the fans hang on to hope. But as soon as we finally get a coach that knows very well what winning football looks and feels like, the fans are ready to dump him before the first season has played out
Nobody is ready to dump Pruitt.

Thinking about it this morning, I don't think my issue with this season is so much the fact that we're losing (though it does suck) as it is that they're just not a very fun team to watch. Even back when we were losing under Dooley, at least the offense was dynamic and we had playmakers that were fun to watch. However this team is just so blah. There's nothing dynamic about them. We have players on offense that I do believe are capable of being dynamic like Calloway, Smith, Jennings, Jordan, etc. But none of it is translating on the field. On defense, I just don't see anyone that ignites the team or the crowd. Watching this team play is like watching paint dry.
Not bored but I'm not gonna let them dictate my Saturdays with my family. If I can watch I will. Use to take 4 hours out of every Saturday to watch my Vols take the field but Saturday's isn't a holiday anymore.

It’s just like Star Wars. With each episodic release you say to yourself “This is when they turn it around and stop sucking” only to find out each release is worst than the last.

I suggest finding new, fulfilling hobbies while trying to follow the Vols casually. It has worked for me the last few years.

My golf game has really benefitted from crappy Vols teams. Thanks, Butch!

Thinking about it this morning, I don't think my issue with this season is so much the fact that we're losing (though it does suck) as it is that they're just not a very fun team to watch. Even back when we were losing under Dooley, at least the offense was dynamic and we had playmakers that were fun to watch. However this team is just so blah. There's nothing dynamic about them. We have players on offense that I do believe are capable of being dynamic like Calloway, Smith, Jennings, Jordan, etc. But none of it is translating on the field. On defense, I just don't see anyone that ignites the team or the crowd. Watching this team play is like watching paint dry.
Can't ever remember watching a team lose and thinking it was fun...Once the wins start I think you will change your mind...hope so!!!

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
Can't ever remember watching a team lose and thinking it was fun...Once the wins start I think you will change your mind...hope so!!!

You're right, it's not. I was just thinking about how even in Dooley's last couple of years, while we weren't very good the offense was at least fun to watch with Bray, Hunter, Rogers, Patterson, Rivera, etc. They provided us some highlight material. We don't even have that this year.

Goodness some people just aren't ever happy.

How ironic that after all the years of having coaches that knew jack squat about winning football and the fans hang on to hope. But as soon as we finally get a coach that knows very well what winning football looks and feels like, the fans are ready to dump him before the first season has played out

I’d like to see which fans are ready to dump him. Voicing disappointment with some aspects of the team doesn’t mean they’re ready to fire anyone. Only the mental ones actually mean it at this point.

People have reset fatigue though. We’re in a show me more than tell me mood.

I’d like to see which fans are ready to dump him. Voicing disappointment with some aspects of the team doesn’t mean they’re ready to fire anyone. Only the mental ones actually mean it at this point.

People have reset fatigue though. We’re in a show me more than tell me mood.
yeah. and that's not the coaches' fault. it's just the baggage of a lot of the fan base...

Pruitt, and fulmer, get to inherit that.

not a roster that's capable of making a national title run in year two....

to both of their credit, though, they've not been sugar coating things when they've talked publically about the prospects of this year, and just how far away we probably are from really competing again...there's been no over promising on their end.

we just ignore it sometimes, or dont' want to hear it, and tell oursleves things as a fan base that are contrary to what we're being told by the folks running it.....edit...and, don't forget, that were brought in here to fix it.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Behr

No one can ever be sure how this coaching hire thing works itself out until after the fact. But if you guys did have an opportunity to hire Mullen, that was the real miss. When Mullen wasn't good enough for LSU and instead chose the man with the golden binder, only then did I exhale. He's gonna be a handful at gatorville, but it's good for the east and the SEC to have some balance over there

If the NCAA cares about anything other than ratings and money, UNC and Bama would have gotten the death penalty years ago.

The result of what we have today in college sports is due to the the ineffectiveness of the NCAA allowing special programs to play by different rules. Alabama’s dominance is not due as much to Saban as to the fact they are viewed differently by the NCAA and SEC office. There is a reason why Saban took the Alabama job. He knew he could get away with things there he could not get away with at other programs.

Due to health and cultural changes college football will not be the major sports attraction in 15 years from now as it is today. Fewer and fewer kids are paying attention to college and high school football now and are into soccer and video games instead. Very few of the kids can tell you who the local high school or UT is playing this week. The apathy is prevalent.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
The result of what we have today in college sports is due to the the ineffectiveness of the NCAA allowing special programs to play by different rules. Alabama’s dominance is not due as much to Saban as to the fact they are viewed differently by the NCAA and SEC office. There is a reason why Saban took the Alabama job. He knew he could get away with things there he could not get away with at other programs.

Due to health and cultural changes college football will not be the major sports attraction in 15 years from now as it is today. Fewer and fewer kids are paying attention to college and high school football now and are into soccer and video games instead. Very few of the kids can tell you who the local high school or UT is playing this week. The apathy is prevalent.

Do you know how many national sports shows are debating whether Alabama is good for college football right now? Too many to keep up with. Bama has the same rules as everyone else. To have teams as good and most of all, CONSISTENTas Bama, requires recruiting and player development.

Ohio State has that kind of talent and Clemson and Georgia are close. LSU through the Les Miles era was right there, but it hasn't always translated into the same kind of consistent success for these teams. Which brings us to player development, which brings us to coaching, in a hurry.

Basically zero people want to "dump Pruitt" but you have no idea if this guy can produce winning football or not. Dooley worked for Saban and saw winning football and that didnt help him in the slightest.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe and tbh
I just want to go on record as saying I am not bored with it, like at all.

I get fired up to watch the big orange take the field. I throw 8th-grade-girl-level hissy fits after a loss, but I still look forward to every Saturday.

Plus, I’ll take a bad football season over the offseason all day long.

Reactions: Behr
This was a very good game not only for the Tennessee Football team, but also for its fan base. For a while there the problem had become that we didn't have any hope. Now, we have hope again and the belief that we can win games even when the odds seem to be so stacked against us. All of Vol Nation just got stronger on Saturday.

Hey OP, you still bored or what’s up?

LOL I love how you act like one game changes EVERYTHING. It doesnt. I'm very happy with the win. We got upset wins under Butch too. However you have to see the bigger picture. We are still facing a potentially bad season. Bama is a loss and every other game after that is going to be a dogfight to win. The win over Auburn was great. But a 4-8 finish is still a very real possibility.

Sure, other than UNCC nothing is a given, but the win mitigates the bordem, providing hope to most fans that we can win 5 or maybe six games.I know I feel much more optimistic. Now if we lose badly to USCe, in a couple weeks, that optimism will be dampend. But hope spring's eternal.

VN Store

Back