Pruitt breaks down QB unit

19/25 vs WVU. No turnovers. Over 70% passing. 152 qb rating.
And... 14 points in a blow out loss to a middling Big 12 D... with only one drive showing any kind of offensive rhythm.

There is no way to justify saying he isn't getting things mentally. The coaches say he is. The reporters say he is.
No. They have said he's improved. I've said he's improved. They've said he has "a long way to go".... You? Well you are convinced he has no need to improve anything and is being held back by a bunch of bums. I don't buy that. I think you are emotionally attached to JG for whatever reason and will blame anyone before admitting he has a weakness.

He hasn't done anything to hold back the offense and he definitely isnt responsible for "anemic" offense vs WVU which is a top ten team. He converted pretty much all the opportunities he had.

At this point you are nitpicking.
Not at all. EVERY good coach from Saban to Fisher will tell you that they want a QB who can make plays but demand a QB who can "manage the O". What do you think that means? Great QB's are known for winning... not just stat lines.

And... 14 points in a blow out loss to a middling Big 12 D... with only one drive showing any kind of offensive rhythm.

No. They have said he's improved. I've said he's improved. They've said he has "a long way to go".... You? Well you are convinced he has no need to improve anything and is being held back by a bunch of bums. I don't buy that. I think you are emotionally attached to JG for whatever reason and will blame anyone before admitting he has a weakness.

Not at all. EVERY good coach from Saban to Fisher will tell you that they want a QB who can make plays but demand a QB who can "manage the O". What do you think that means? Great QB's are known for winning... not just stat lines.
So Heisman favorite qb with a top 15 team is middling?

The coaches have also raced about him and said he is doing much better. Of course they would never say he is perfect. You have to motivate the players. No player will ever be perfect anyway.

14 points with a first time head coach and play caller with the starting rb going out early. Not great but understandable in the situation.
He did great with what was asked. They should have passed the ball more.

He needs to improve. He has improved. The mental aspects aren't a "problem." They are just one part of his game that he is still improving. Even Brady tries to work on things still.

The season just started. Let see how many wins he gets. The guy winning three games per year before coming here definitely isn't the answer though.

Reactions: MustafaRasta
Maybe for the same reason I say that KC has physical limitations that make me hope JG takes some big steps forward. So if you have no agenda... why do you continue to strip my comments out of context so you can pretend I don't like JG.

Obsession with his mental abilities? He hasn't been able to consistently move the O against quality competition. Do you want me to falsely say that is a physical problem? Do you want me to lay 100% of the blame on other players just so I don't say something that upsets you?

My obsession with his mental development is because I think he has the potential to be one of the best QB's to play at UT in a very long time if he improves it enough. I think the guys around him have to improve as well... but if he improves that area then his development will help them play better too.

Hmm. I've said often that I hope it isn't necessary to play KC. He's a smart guy. He did some "good" things managing the O at Stanford. He also made some real boneheaded plays and decisions.

Please prove that JG is "superior mentally" than both of those guys. He is definitely more developed in the system than Shrout. They want to RS Shrout and give him time to develop his understanding of the system and speed of the college game. If he's some kind of prodigy then he could catch JG. If they at some point decide that JG has topped out below where they want him to be then they could decide to "play for the future". But realistically... Shrout isn't likely to catch JG. Chryst is a smart guy. He comes from a football family. He'll probably be a coach some day.

Dude... the O was anemic against a middling Big 12 D then ran over ETSU aided by the D and ST's. He has to prove that he has taken a huge jump.

UT gets the mother of all warm up games this week. UTEP is flat out horrible. Then we get a test of how far JG has come and how much the staff has been able to coach up the OL.

all u do is subliminally show ur hate for JG being the starter. go be a fan of another team!

Getting that "I told you so" Gold Star at the end of the season is apparently are really big deal around here.

Forum cred is real bidnezz

Guess your right cuz after several threads with tons of posts on the subject, "I told ya so" has to be the only thing left to say about it. Lol

JG did what was ask of him against WV.
He completed a high percentage of throws underneath and in the intermediate range mainly. Right now he appears to be the best option at QB. UT needs more out of the position to take the next step than even what they ve allowed him to try to be. The question is can he carry a load he has yet to be tested with.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Is there anyone here who thinks JG could learn absolutely nothing from KC?
Different style QB’s with different levels of ability. Not sold that Chryst knows the craft well enough to teach it.

It's always been the possibility, that between Guarantano, Chryst, and McBride, that we stil don't have a "good" quarterback for this offensive system.

What... "this offensive system" is power run game, ball control. Noth JG and Chryst and drop back QB's. This is the exact system that they fit

Does anyone think Chryst will be starting by game 6... Ima hanging up but gona listen.

So Heisman favorite qb with a top 15 team is middling?

The coaches have also raced about him and said he is doing much better. Of course they would never say he is perfect. You have to motivate the players. No player will ever be perfect anyway.

14 points with a first time head coach and play caller with the starting rb going out early. Not great but understandable in the situation.
He did great with what was asked. They should have passed the ball more.

He needs to improve. He has improved. The mental aspects aren't a "problem." They are just one part of his game that he is still improving. Even Brady tries to work on things still.

The season just started. Let see how many wins he gets. The guy winning three games per year before coming here definitely isn't the answer though.

0 TDs vs ETSU. Since you think he is so superior. JG is good but unless he can throw TDs he will never be great.

Reactions: mccrackb
Does anyone think Chryst will be starting by game 6... Ima hanging up but gona listen.
If JG doesn't show that he can get our WRs in the endzone he won't be starting much longer. If he shows he can he will start showing that he is a really good QB.

Even if they are equal you go with JG, he’s still gonna be here. I believe KC was always just a backup plan and to add competition, also to get a redshirt out of JT, smart IMO.

Reactions: k-town_king
Quit talking about QBs. JG is the better QB and quite frankly it’s not that close.

I believe Keller can be a competent backup if we need him however.

Reactions: k-town_king
Honeys hush!There's plenty of minutes for all the qb's to share going forward, and you are all assured of being disappointed no matter what.

If JG doesn't show that he can get our WRs in the endzone he won't be starting much longer. If he shows he can he will start showing that he is a really good QB.
You’re assuming we have alternatives that are better. As things stand, JG is just our least bad QB.

Ive always thought Chryst was gonna win the job but as far as I can see Guarantano has improved quite a bit.

The offensive line is the problem.

You don’t like JG’s poise? Kid got his brains beat out all last year, was nearly decapitated on the first play of the season vs WVa, got his helmet knocked off at least twice later in the first half.....and kept getting up on the way to completing 19 of 25 passes. Almost the definition of poise. Anc doesn’t that much larger sample size, vs much better competition help us understand why JG has won the job and why KC is the backup? Then add in that JG has the much higher ceiling and can (according to pretty everybody who’s seen them practice) make all the throws where KC can’t.

JG loosing his helmet tells us nothing about him as a QB. Should he ever keep a SEC game close we will see if he has it.

VN Store

Back