'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

Tom Luginbill was on College Football Live yesterday. He said he's not sold on Patterson winning the starting QB job at UM. He said he didn't think Patterson fit the Pro style offense they run. In his opinion, even though Patterson is a great athlete and QB, the only way he thinks Patterson wins the job is If Harbaugh tweaks his offense to fit Patterson's dual threat abilities.
interesting. i would have put money on Patterson being the starter, no matter what.

Reactions: Easttnken
I would still put money on Patterson being the starter. Not like Harbaugh has never had a dual threat guy before. I seem to member him being very successful with Kaep.
good point. forgot about that.

interesting. i would have put money on Patterson being the starter, no matter what.

Agree, most folks have had the same opinion.

Harbaugh made a statement about there being a real QB battle, and "It rages on".

So, Luginbills' comment was in response to being asked if UM was having a QB battle, or is it just coach speak.
He seemed adamant that if Harbaugh didn't change his offense, that Patterson would lose the QB battle.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Agree, most folks have had the same opinion.

Harbaugh made a statement about there being a real QB battle, and "It rages on".

So, Luginbills' comment was in response to being asked if UM was having a QB battle, or is it just coach speak.
He seemed adamant that if Harbaugh didn't change his offense, that Patterson would lose the QB battle.
well then it just seems stupid of him, and Patterson, to merry up then. i gotta believe there's a lot of coach speak going on there.

well then it just seems stupid of him, and Patterson, to merry up then. i gotta believe there's a lot of coach speak going on there.

Yeah, like Sleegro said, Harbaugh can certainly handle the DT QB. I think the question may have been; is Harbaugh willing to change his offense to fit Patterson...or try to fit Patterson to his offense.

Who knows, Patterson may flourish in either/both.

I would still put money on Patterson being the starter. Not like Harbaugh has never had a dual threat guy before. I seem to member him being very successful with Kaep.
And he would have won the Super Bowl with Alex Smith throwing the rock that year.

And he would have won the Super Bowl with Alex Smith throwing the rock that year.
Maybe. But I'm not even sure they would've gotten to the Super Bowl if Kaep doesn't run for 181 yards and 2 tds on top of the 263 yards and 2tds passing in the first playoff game against the heavily favored Packers. And it seems like a stretch to blame the super bowl on a guy who had 302 yards and 1 td passing and 62 yards and a td rushing in said super bowl. I don't think he is a better qb that Smith, but in the right system with the right coach he was very productive. Regardless of yer personal feelings about him, the years with Harbaugh he put up very impressive numbers. Which was the whole point of my post. It was that saying Harbaugh is a pro style pocket passer system only is completely false. He is very capable of working with a guy like Shea Patterson and putting up a lot of points for Michigan this year. Which you bringing up Smith doesn't even counter since he is more of a dual threat guy too.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Maybe. But I'm not even sure they would've gotten to the Super Bowl if Kaep doesn't run for 181 yards and 2 tds on top of the 263 yards and 2tds passing in the first playoff game against the heavily favored Packers. And it seems like a stretch to blame the super bowl on a guy who had 302 yards and 1 td passing and 62 yards and a td rushing in said super bowl. I don't think he is a better qb that Smith, but in the right system with the right coach he was very productive. Regardless of yer personal feelings about him, the years with Harbaugh he put up very impressive numbers. Which was the whole point of my post. It was that saying Harbaugh is a pro style pocket passer system only is completely false. He is very capable of working with a guy like Shea Patterson and putting up a lot of points for Michigan this year. Which you bringing up Smith doesn't even counter since he is more of a dual threat guy too.

I think that Kaepernick can certainly still play in the NFL and make a roster, but his athleticism that made him such a special talent for a couple of years is now gameplanned against effectively by NFL DCs. I think that he could still be very effective in an RPO based offense, something like what you see Philadelphia doing. But when he went against an elite defense like Baltimore in the Super Bowl he was shut down. The same thing happened in the 2013 NFC championship game, he was shut down by an elite Seattle defense. The role of a dual threat QB is changing in the NFL with the RPO being a much bigger facet of offenses that feature mobile QBs. Would the 49ers have made the Super Bowl with Alex Smith? Hard to say, maybe, maybe not. Alex Smith was playing at such an elite level before he suffered that concussion.

But to your point, I absolutely think that Shae Patterson will be a star at Michigan. The pace and matchups in the college game favor offenses that utilize the mobility of athletic QBs. Harbaugh can easily tweak the offense to suit Patterson's skillset. Also, I'm so excited to see what Helton, Friend, and Osovet do to open up the passing game at UT. A pro style offense that incorporates the RPO would be tailor made for a QB like Harrison Bailey.

Reactions: Sleegro
I think that Kaepernick can certainly still play in the NFL and make a roster, but his athleticism that made him such a special talent for a couple of years is now gameplanned against effectively by NFL DCs. I think that he could still be very effective in an RPO based offense, something like what you see Philadelphia doing. But when he went against an elite defense like Baltimore in the Super Bowl he was shut down. The same thing happened in the 2013 NFC championship game, he was shut down by an elite Seattle defense. The role of a dual threat QB is changing in the NFL with the RPO being a much bigger facet of offenses that feature mobile QBs. Would the 49ers have made the Super Bowl with Alex Smith? Hard to say, maybe, maybe not. Alex Smith was playing at such an elite level before he suffered that concussion.

But to your point, I absolutely think that Shae Patterson will be a star at Michigan. The pace and matchups in the college game favor offenses that utilize the mobility of athletic QBs. Harbaugh can easily tweak the offense to suit Patterson's skillset. Also, I'm so excited to see what Helton, Friend, and Osovet do to open up the passing game at UT. A pro style offense that incorporates the RPO would be tailor made for a QB like Harrison Bailey.
I agree with all that, but I wouldn't say the Ravens shut him down. They shut him down in the first half maybe, but he torched them in the second half leading them back from 28-6 to eventually coming up just short losing 34-31 and putting up over 300 yards passing and 60 yards rushing. So shut down is a bit relative I guess.

Reactions: JPelty8

Kaepernick is a cancer.

He also had Andrew Luck and did pretty well with him as a pocket passer.

He also had Andrew Luck and did pretty well with him as a pocket passer.
Not really the point I was making but luck also ran a lot in college. I was just shooting down the idea that luginbill or whoever it was saying that Harbaugh only likes pro style QBs and that Patterson may not start because he is dual threat. I was saying he's had success with both types.

I agree with all that, but I wouldn't say the Ravens shut him down. They shut him down in the first half maybe, but he torched them in the second half leading them back from 28-6 to eventually coming up just short losing 34-31 and putting up over 300 yards passing and 60 yards rushing. So shut down is a bit relative I guess.

I know some may think I am buying into conspiracy hype, but I think if that poweroutage doesnt happen, the Ravens run them out of the stadium.

Not really the point I was making but luck also ran a lot in college. I was just shooting down the idea that luginbill or whoever it was saying that Harbaugh only likes pro style QBs and that Patterson may not start because he is dual threat. I was saying he's had success with both types.
Very true. Shea will do just fine. Best QB he’s had since he’s been there.

Reactions: Sleegro

VN Store

Back