QB Battle

Thanks to the new RS rule, we should get a chance to at least see him against our cupcake opponents. If he comes on strong and somebody gets banged up maybe they decide he doesn't need a RS after all.

If Callaway, Jennings, or Palmer get banged up on the outside, I'd be curious to see if they just go next man up with Tillman or if they think about maybe kicking Johnson outside and giving Latrell Williams or Jacquez Jones a look at slot.

I have nothing against Palmer but that kid couldn't catch a cold.....

Reactions: KBVol
Yes, his struggles in 2017 are a concern. IMO he never should have been thrown out there so early anyway. Kid needed some time to be coached up and adapt. In a year and a half he went from playing HS ball in Canada, to a national powerhouse team in Florida, to SEC ball.

He's got all the tools to be a good WR for us though. Showed some needed improvement in the spring. He definitely knows how to get open about as well as any WR on the team. I'm not really sure I see Tillman being better right out of the gate. Maybe he comes on as the season continues and finds a roll.

Idk that we're gonna have a QB situation steady enough to get our outside guys the ball consistently anyway. JG and Chryst both worry me badly in different ways.

We do know. It was widely reported. Just like our pursuit of Chryst after Minshew picked Bama. 😒

So every single stat site uses the irrelevant stat, but makes you do math for the one that matters?😂

It's weird how you continually question his mental capacity when he has been more efficient than QD and KC even though he was a freshman in the SEC.

Multiple 220 yard plus games in SEC play. KC and QD combined don't have as many in conference in 5 more years of play. 🤣

Why are you now trying to discount LSU due to prevent defense? Didn't you claim on the last page that QD faced a bunch of prevent defenses so his stats looked worse? 🤔

Based on what?
His perceived familiarity with an "under center" offense.

His perceived familiarity with an "under center" offense.
We still don't know exactly how much we'll be under center this year anyway. Definitely more than the past 5 years, but everywhere Helton has been and CSU under Friend both used plenty of shotgun formations as well. Stanford did, too. They're aren't many teams left who aren't running plays out of shotgun on a really consistent basis.

Reactions: k-town_king
Yes, his struggles in 2017 are a concern. IMO he never should have been thrown out there so early anyway. Kid needed some time to be coached up and adapt. In a year and a half he went from playing HS ball in Canada, to a national powerhouse team in Florida, to SEC ball.

He's got all the tools to be a good WR for us though. Showed some needed improvement in the spring. He definitely knows how to get open about as well as any WR on the team. I'm not really sure I see Tillman being better right out of the gate. Maybe he comes on as the season continues and finds a roll.

Idk that we're gonna have a QB situation steady enough to get our outside guys the ball consistently anyway. JG and Chryst both worry me badly in different ways.
Im not implying that Tillman will start, but that said Palmer had drops today as well. At some point you can't afford to put a guy on the field like that so hopefully he gets over his Butterfinger woes.

Edit: Doesn't help if you can get open but not catch the ball.

Im not implying that Tillman will start, but that said Palmer had drops today as well. At some point you can't afford to put a guy on the field like that so hopefully he gets over his Butterfinger woes.

Edit: Doesn't help if you can get open but not catch the ball.

Didn't read about him having drops today. Not sure I'd read too much into the 30 minutes or so the media gets to see anyway.

Palmer is definitely far from a finished product. He's still probably next in line on the outside behind JJ and Callaway unless the coaches would rather move Johnson out there if an injury occurred. Not sure he's got the physicality or explosiveness you want outside, though.

Hard to say how much they're gonna sub guys in and out at WR, though. Could be that Palmer is the next man up and still hardly sees the field.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
That is not political. Just smart. I know I had coaches who said that. It's smart coaching. The younger guy will develop and pass the older guy. If they are close you go with the younger guy. If Shrout is as good as JG and KC he should start. If JG and KC are close JG should start.
While I disagree with a lot of things youve said, I agree on this. If it's close JG should start because he is the QB of the future. But if KC really shows he can be the man then we have to play him. I would say we could take a down year to try and get JG all the reps even if KC is better but Tennessee is running out of the we-are-up-and-coming storylines to pitch to recruits. We need some success now to not fall more behind in the SEC.

I agree with you that he had a tough time with consistency last year, but he’s more of a late bloomer guy. Even in high school when he moved down to Florida from Canada to be around better competition, he had a crappy first year and hardly played. Only to have his breakout season the following year. All I’m saying is give him some time develop, he probably got thrown into the fire tio
SOon last year as well.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
I have no inside knowledge but I feel JG is already the #1QB. All the others are potential #2s. JG would have fall behind significantly to become the backup. It seems JG has the confidence of the team. I like the toughness he has shown. He has a good arm and can scramble and buy time. JG will be as good as the oline allows him to be.

Reactions: gnm53108
I have no inside knowledge but I feel JG is already the #1QB. All the others are potential #2s. JG would have fall behind significantly to become the backup. It seems JG has the confidence of the team. I like the toughness he has shown. He has a good arm and can scramble and buy time. JG will be as good as the oline allows him to be.

In the videos that I watched JG was throwing behind the receivers.. He has a better arm but it looks to me that KC puts the ball where it should be.. If JG starts that behind the receivers again this year.. he will throw more ints than tds..

Reactions: sjt18
Disagree completely. The players will fall behind whoever the coaches select as the starter. One guy made an offhand comment about JG having the locker room... and people have run with it. The players may like and respect him... or not. But to a man I guarantee they'd tell you they want the guy who gives them the best chance to win. Who doesn't make mistakes. Makes the right calls. Puts the ball where it needs to be.

JG has a great arm. He's physically talented. But frankly, he "showed his toughness" because he failed to read D's and get rid of the ball. That is not what you want from your QB. It is real easy to blame the OL... but QD who had his own problems made the right line calls and got the ball out on time more so than JG.

Otherwise, he just didn't play well enough to enter this camp as the starter. If he had... he would have been declared the starter.

JG has more physical talent than any QB UT has had since at least Bray. Before Bray... you go back a ways to find someone that talented. But he has to master the head part of the game... the "manage the O" part. And the GT game is there until he proves that he can handle personal disappointment without acting that way.

If he has matured and put in the work to prepare himself mentally then I can pull for him as easily as any other QB... I'm just more skeptical than you.

In the videos that I watched JG was throwing behind the receivers.. He has a better arm but it looks to me that KC puts the ball where it should be.. If JG starts that behind the receivers again this year.. he will throw more ints than tds..
To be fair, KC has always looked great in shorts and practice situations. Big reason he was so highly rated in high school and started as many games as he did at Stanford. It’s when the pads are on and defenders are flying around that he’s struggled. His arm isn’t good enough to be late on a read and still gun a throw in like some guys can.

Every "highlight" video i've seen of Chryst shows him immediately locking onto his first read and never coming off. He would throw the ball refardless of being open or not, often into the dirt. Now, that does mean he throws fewer picks, but it probably explains why his comp % is so low but he rarely gets sacked or throws picks, because he usually always does get rid of the ball. It's just not always to the reciver if that first read isnt open. Against SEC defenses, I think he would be in serious truble against SEC defenses. I just think UT has two bad options at QB for this year and it stinks.

Gonna be honest, don't really feel like subscribing to read it. Can you cliff note me kind kind sir?

Here is the article

["Vols offensive coordinator Tyson Helton feels confident Tennessee can win games with sophomore Jarrett Guarantano at quarterback.

The first-year UT coach feels the same about senior Keller Chryst. And sophomore Will McBride. And freshman JT Shrout.

UT Vols football offensive coordinator Tyson Helton speaks to the media during a press conference.

“A lot of people want to talk about maybe one or two guys,” Helton said. “It’s a four-man competition and may the best man win.”

The Vols return Guarantano and McBride, while Chryst – a graduate transfer from Stanford – and incoming recruit Shrout arrived this summer to create a four-man quarterback battle as UT opens preseason camp Friday.

Coach Jeremy Pruitt first indicated all four quarterbacks would be in competition at SEC Media Days in mid-July. He restated the belief Thursday, insisting Tennessee will give all four quarterbacks “the same opportunity” to compete and there is no timetable on declaring a starter.

“If we have somebody that asserts himself, it might be three days into fall camp, it might be six weeks into the season,” Pruitt said. “We have to figure out who gives us the best opportunity. They will control that. Not us.”"]

-Knoxville News Sentinel

Reactions: VoLBall86
That was some of the article. Of course you left out how Helton praised Guarantano's arm, athleticism, and desire.

Good summary besides that.

"During some of the pre-practice, walk-through snaps, we saw Jarrett Guarantano working at QB with what appeared to be the first-team offense."

Callahan

The guys on Volquest are reporting that the he QB race is practically over as JG has improved form last season and looks to be much better. He’s getting most of the reps with the first team offense. KC has the size and tools but he really struggled at times today going through his progressions.

The guys on Volquest are reporting that the he QB race is practically over as JG has improved form last season and looks to be much better. He’s getting most of the reps with the first team offense. KC has the size and tools but he really struggled at times today going through his progressions.

Got a link?

VN Store

Back