QB Battle

The guys on Volquest are reporting that the he QB race is practically over as JG has improved form last season and looks to be much better. He’s getting most of the reps with the first team offense. KC has the size and tools but he really struggled at times today going through his progressions.
So we know who would be the quarterback if Brent Hubbs was the coach

There were some good signs for JG out of the reporting today. Apparently he didn't hold the ball and went through his progressions well. That's good.

The guys in the video saying it is "over"... after two days... means very little.

What is significant though and was last year as we were debating who was winning the QB battle (QD at the time)… JG was said to have gotten most of the work with what looked like the 1st team. That is a good indicator he's leading.

I have said it before, JG needs to be the man for UT to have a solid season. He’s not there yet but he’s certainly improving which is good for this football team. As for Chryst, he’s seems to be what you would expect from a QB that was benched last season for making poor decisions.

Then I wonder why every team doesn’t throw their freshmen QBs out there to start......you are trying to make your point with the exception, not the rule. Nice try though, you even threw in a gif for extra credit

It's happening more and more every year. QB's are starting as FR more now than they ever have. TN, Ala, Ole Miss, S.Carol, Vandy, Mizzou, Ga Twice recently, Fla, KY, Texas A'M and Miss St all have in the last 5 yrs. Not to mention Fla St, ND, Va Tech, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Penn St, Texas, Ohio St just to name a couple more. Has been a growing trend. .

The guys on Volquest are reporting that the he QB race is practically over as JG has improved form last season and looks to be much better. He’s getting most of the reps with the first team offense. KC has the size and tools but he really struggled at times today going through his progressions.

I've seen that several places also. Sounding like realQB coaching is benefiting JG. If that's the case, hopefully they announce it soon and give him most of the #1 Reps the rest of camp.

Im not implying that Tillman will start, but that said Palmer had drops today as well. At some point you can't afford to put a guy on the field like that so hopefully he gets over his Butterfinger woes.

Edit: Doesn't help if you can get open but not catch the ball.

I do think the potential for lots of PT is there for Tillman. He's our tallest receiver and could be an endzone mismatch. Imagine 1st down inside the 20 and running Woods-Anderson, Pope or Wolf then Tillman and Callaway on the outside. Gotta like our chances scoring a TD.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
I have said it before, JG needs to be the man for UT to have a solid season. He’s not there yet but he’s certainly improving which is good for this football team. As for Chryst, he’s seems to be what you would expect from a QB that was benched last season for making poor decisions.

Don't think it was bad decisions that got Chryst Benched. He's always protected the ball and rarely turns the ball over. They started 1-2 with back to back losses to USC and SD St. Although they both won 10 games last yr. But Chryst did struggle against SD St, who had one of the best pass Defense's in the country. But both losses they were dominated in time of possession and plays. USC gashed Stanford's Def for 600+ yds. Similar to JG last year, the struggles went way deeper than their QB play. Goes back to what I said earlier QB's get too much credit and too much blame. But it's the price you pay for playing QB. Also think Chryst struggled with rust and timing because of his almost 8 months of very little football activity after the major knee surgery he had. He's never going to be a guy who keeps you on games with his passing. He's not a high completion percentage guy. He's a game manager who doesn't hurt his team with bad decisions or turnovers, will hit the occasional deep pass but when he passes it's usually 6-10 yards at a time. Leadership and a great locker room guy is supposedly his best asset. He will be an asset for the other QB's and his teammates. We saw zero leadership last year, so he will be a good SR guy to have around if nothing else. Shrout has already benefited from Keller and supposedly has shadowed him and been a sponge. Even if Chryst never plays a meaningful snap this year he's a great guy to have in the locker room. Well worth a one year scholarship.

Playing a freshman QB in the SEC is not a recipe for success
Definitely Old School thinking. Fulmer...Never had a true Freshman win an SEC Championship or National Championship until several years ago. It happened and can again. Not sure who is the next, but might as well be a Tennessee Vol.

Little harsh comment for Chryst after only 3 official practices with the team.... Guarantano has had 2+ years and a couple of months running this system.

I think it's to early to make comments like that for the QB situation. It will be a see who makes the changes after film session, that will indicate who will be the starter. Both QBs have things to work on.

Hopefully, they can adjust their game after being shown what is wrong and develop their game further with the 20+ something practices they have left.

I do think the potential for lots of PT is there for Tillman. He's our tallest receiver and could be an endzone mismatch. Imagine 1st down inside the 20 and running Woods-Anderson, Pope or Wolf then Tillman and Callaway on the outside. Gotta like our chances scoring a TD.

Agreed, and good point with Anderson, the kid is a mismatch for LBs with his speed. There aren't going to be many LBs out there that can man to man or zone cover him. They are going to have to walk a DB or Safety up on him if they want to stop him.

Little harsh comment for Chryst after only 3 official practices with the team.... Guarantano has had 2+ years and a couple of months running this system.

I think it's to early to make comments like that for the QB situation. It will be a see who makes the changes after film session, that will indicate who will be the starter. Both QBs have things to work on.

Hopefully, they can adjust their game after being shown what is wrong and develop their game further with the 20+ something practices they have left.

Coaches must be really impressed by his studiousness if he was practicing the system two years before Pruitt and Helton were even hired!

Coaches must be really impressed by his studiousness if he was practicing the system two years before Pruitt and Helton were even hired!

You should probably re-read the portion you decided to bold my friend.

Edit: I also don't like the fact that you tried to make me out to be the villain here, my comments were very unobjective.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back