QB Battle

I know I made comments about JG but I can tell u that alot of Wr's didnt know alot of plays thats why offense was so basic..I know it wasnt totally all his fault but only reason why i said JG not starting because he is not a Pruitt guy...My sources tell me that Chryst is looking good as hell though..He already know the system..Its so much I know rite now but I rather for u guys to find out on ur own..
Chryst has always looked great in practice situations. It's why he was ranked so highly in HS and able to hold of Kostello for half of 2017.

I think he can be a capable game manager for us if we can get a good ground game going and the defense can be a strength and keep us in games. Highly doubt we see him suddenly make a transformation into a guy who can sling it all over the field week in week out though.

Reactions: KBVol
I know I made comments about JG but I can tell u that alot of Wr's didnt know alot of plays thats why offense was so basic..I know it wasnt totally all his fault but only reason why i said JG not starting because he is not a Pruitt guy...My sources tell me that Chryst is looking good as hell though..He already know the system..Its so much I know rite now but I rather for u guys to find out on ur own..
How is Chryst a “Pruitt guy”? Got less time with him than he has JG. You don’t KNOW anything. You’re guessing and piecing together tidbits your cousin tells you. Did Brandon tell you that Butch was coming back this season?

Reactions: BloomuVol and KBVol
It sounds like he is not your nephews guy.... That may be why Palmer and Calloway got the targets in the spring. Maybe your nephew should not worry about who the starter is and be the best WR he can be. Inside info is great but you deliver it very slanted. Either tell the story or don’t.

It sounds like he is not your nephews guy.... That may be why Palmer and Calloway got the targets in the spring. Maybe your nephew should not worry about who the starter is and be the best WR he can be. Inside info is great but you deliver it very slanted. Either tell the story or don’t.
I doubt Brandon is too biased or bad mouthing anyone or anything like that. Greazy just has a pretty well known confirmation bias. It’s why he spent so much time last offseason bad mouthing Callaway anytime someone had high expectations for him.

It could one of those situations where his phone is getting blown up asking about Chryst and he’s just like “yeah he looks great” (because what else will someone say about a teammate/possible co-starter) and people read into it whatever they want.

Reactions: KBVol
Without this it won't matter who the QB is. I think it is Chryst's job to lose.

Chryst has never so much as taken a practice snap at the University of Tennessee, so how could he currently have the job and could only lose it at this point? As opposed to Guarantano who played in 9 games last year, completed 61% of his passes, showed excellent toughness last year while taking a beating, at times showed a very strong, accurate passing ability and who won the “Spring Game MVP”.

Chryst on the other hand comes to us from a conference that plays no defense, where he has had a couple of Heisman candidate running backs playing alongside him the last few years, yet only completed 55% of his passes prior to losing his job to a younger player. So how is he the leader in the clubhouse right now?

No, I think both Ainge and Brice are right.....JG has taken big strides, had a very good spring, has had a very good summer and several sources within the facility believe it’s actually JG’s job to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your statement obviously comes with not knowing the receiving corps. It also is a jab at Greazy which is a low blow. I will defend Brandon however, and Brandon is one of our most sure handed receivers and will start in the slot.

I don't like how you just singled Greazy out just now and put Brandon down in the same paragraph. You can kick rocks in my opinion.

Well, I guess we will see who wins the job in about two weeks. My guess, based on not having seen KC ever throw a ball and the fact the KC lost the starting job in his Jr. year, is that JG wins the position and has a very good year. He finally has a good QB coach, a decent OL, good receivers, and the Spring in Helton's system. He is a talented athlet and my pick for the starter.
Thing is... I don't really care. I'm like you stating that I think one guy may have an advantage over the other.

Both have question marks. KC did lose his job though an injury seems to have played a factor in that. He did have some spotty performances as well though he won some games. I LOVE JG's physical talent. He's the most physically gifted passer UT has had since at least Bray IMO. But I don't like the attitude he's displayed. I don't like what his lack of mental preparation before last year's QB battle says about him. And I don't like his indecision and mental lapses while the starter last year.

Ultimately though... my only "stake" is that UT has an effective QB. But for some weird reason, k-town king has made this personal... a matter of his ego maybe? Maybe he just can't stand the thought of admitting he's wrong about anything? Maybe some weird man crush on JG himself? I really don't know. I do know he causes me to be critical of JG when really I'd rather just be honest about the weaknesses of both then take the wait and see approach you advocate.

. . . If they are close you go with the younger guy. . .

The problem with that approach is that it compromises the competitive environment that you are trying to foster. If you stand in front of a team and tell them that it's about competing and that you earn your playing time through performance in practice, you better hold to your word. CJP said at the presser yesterday that the QBs themselves will determine the outcome. If that doesn't happen, no matter who it is, then he compromises his trust with his team and his words don't reflect his actions. That is not a good place to be as the leader of an organization.

Reactions: butchna and sjt18
How is Chryst a “Pruitt guy”? Got less time with him than he has JG. You don’t KNOW anything. You’re guessing and piecing together tidbits your cousin tells you. Did Brandon tell you that Butch was coming back this season?

Its common sense..Pruitt brought Chryst in not Butch..

We do know. It was widely reported. Just like our pursuit of Chryst after Minshew picked Bama. 😒

So every single stat site uses the irrelevant stat, but makes you do math for the one that matters?😂

It's weird how you continually question his mental capacity when he has been more efficient than QD and KC even though he was a freshman in the SEC.

Multiple 220 yard plus games in SEC play. KC and QD combined don't have as many in conference in 5 more years of play. 🤣

Why are you now trying to discount LSU due to prevent defense? Didn't you claim on the last page that QD faced a bunch of prevent defenses so his stats looked worse? 🤔

Based on what?
About twice as much experience in an offense with that exact conservative mindset.

With that said, Helton said Pruitt doesn't want to be too conservative. But still. Chryst is going to fill that game manager role better than anyone IMO.

About twice as much experience in an offense with that exact conservative mindset.

With that said, Helton said Pruitt doesn't want to be too conservative. But still. Chryst is going to fill that game manager role better than anyone IMO.
Yeah I think if the coaches want to go the conservative game manager route, Chryst is the guy no doubt. He’s less likely to kill drives making dumb decisions or taking too many sacks.

But if the defense struggles and we need to be aggressive on offense, I can’t really see him being too effective for us.

Well of course he didn't recruit JG here. He was talented enough to already be on a squad instead of running from somewhere he got his job took.

Pruitt didn't really "choose" KC like you are acting. He wasn't even the first gt we went after. Where did he say he was determined to get someone who was expected to compete to start? We only had one SEC level qb on the roster. We were desperate for more bodies in the qb room.

JG ypa 7.17 QD 6.8 ypa KC 6.7 ypa

JG on average threw deeper passes. Stop using a stat that is literally not listed when you look up their passing stats. JG ran the full offense by his third start. He was more effective and threw deeper passes than QD. Stop making up stuff. Also if Dormady played so many prevent defenses that should bump up his ypa. They were conceding passes that were 10-15 yards if they were in a prevent. Not helping your case pointing out all the freebies he got and still having abysmal accuracy and ypa.

Butch went with the "safe" choice in the upperclassman. JG learned the offense and took the job from QD then played better than QD did in the same offense while missing several players availabile to QD.
I wouldn't say that JJ took the job from QD. It was more a matter of QD proving that he could not handle Butch's infallible system. The point where I gave up on Butch as a coach was when they had seven straight plays from inside the 5-yard line and they ran exactly the same play every time. When QD threw his first interception, I thought well that's a mistake he won't make again. But then he did exactly the same thing against Florida after we were running the exact same play again.

I wouldn't say that JJ took the job from QD. It was more a matter of QD proving that he could not handle Butch's infallible system. The point where I gave up on Butch as a coach was when they had seven straight plays from inside the 5-yard line and they ran exactly the same play every time. When QD threw his first interception, I thought well that's a mistake he won't make again. But then he did exactly the same thing against Florida after we were running the exact same play again.
JJ in the previous post should be JG

We are not runnng a conservative, game management offense though. Helton is going to go downfield a ton. Stanford and UT will have two completely different offenses.

Twice as much as experience. Half the 200 yard passing conference games. Not a great resume.

The problem with that approach is that it compromises the competitive environment that you are trying to foster. If you stand in front of a team and tell them that it's about competing and that you earn your playing time through performance in practice, you better hold to your word. CJP said at the presser yesterday that the QBs themselves will determine the outcome. If that doesn't happen, no matter who it is, then he compromises his trust with his team and his words don't reflect his actions. That is not a good place to be as the leader of an organization.
I remember one time thinking exactly the way King does when Tony Robinson went down against Alabama. I thought well now's the time to just give up on this season and start preparing for the future. I think Jeff Francis was the Heir Apparent on the bench. Instead, Majors went with his bosses boy. Darrell Dickey went on to have a rough time against Georgia Tech but then he became a serviceable quarterback and led UT to one of its greatest seasons

Thing is... I don't really care. I'm like you stating that I think one guy may have an advantage over the other.

Both have question marks. KC did lose his job though an injury seems to have played a factor in that. He did have some spotty performances as well though he won some games. I LOVE JG's physical talent. He's the most physically gifted passer UT has had since at least Bray IMO. But I don't like the attitude he's displayed. I don't like what his lack of mental preparation before last year's QB battle says about him. And I don't like his indecision and mental lapses while the starter last year.

Ultimately though... my only "stake" is that UT has an effective QB. But for some weird reason, k-town king has made this personal... a matter of his ego maybe? Maybe he just can't stand the thought of admitting he's wrong about anything? Maybe some weird man crush on JG himself? I really don't know. I do know he causes me to be critical of JG when really I'd rather just be honest about the weaknesses of both then take the wait and see approach you advocate.

When I turn out wrong about a quarterback I will admit it.

You still can't admit Dobbs is a better passer than Worley or that JG is a better passer than QD. I keep being right. I will once again. You will be wrong and disappear once again.

I don't care who wins. I have a strong opinion on who will win the job though. I want UT to be good. Playing washed PAC12 players isn't going to accomplish that. Guys who have not been successful in weaker conferences aren't the answer to our problems. Especially when we have a more talented passer who has performed better while actually facing SEC teams.

The same thing with Madre London. A guy who was average in the BIG10 or PAC12 is not going to come here and be a good starter.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/vfl-fred-white-on-jeremy-pruitt-qb-race/amp/

White: “I think Guarantano is a really good football player. His completion percentage was down (62 percent), but if you look at some of those passes he threw last season. Some of those passes hit the receiver right where they should have caught it — in the hands. Our guys weren’t catching the ball very well last year. In the spring, they were dropping a lot of balls. There were a lot of balls on the ground at a few of those practices.
“I have watched film of Keller Chryst and I think this kid is a really good football player. If he didn’t get injured, he’d probably still be at Stanford. Now, can he come in and win the job? He has a hard job learning the offense in a few months.
“Guarantano does have the edge there because he learned some of the offense in the spring. The one who studies the most is probably going to be the guy that gets the job.
“I’m not as worried about the quarterback position as I am the offensive line being able to protect them. That’s probably one of the weakest links of our football team right now. That’s something that needs to be addressed. Hopefully we can get those things fixed so these guys can stay upright for a football game.
“The one thing I do like about Guarantano is he took a beating last year and he kept getting up. He has the toughness. Let’s see what he can do if he’s standing upright the entire game.”

Your statement obviously comes with not knowing the receiving corps. It also is a jab at Greazy which is a low blow. I will defend Brandon however, and Brandon is one of our most sure handed receivers and will start in the slot.

I don't like how you just singled Greazy out just now and put Brandon down in the same paragraph. You can kick rocks in my opinion.
I don’t really care about your opinion. If I did I would have quoted one of your silly quotes. They make ignore buttons for people like me...😉
My personal opinion is that Brandon is a great receiver but Greezy spews slanted inside info that most would think comes from his nephew. I would like to hear how Brandon is working hard with his QBs to get himself and this team better, but no we here receivers didn’t know plays and this QB is the real deal. I know so much more but won’t tell... BlahBlah Blah...
A QB has to trust his receivers. Not the other way around. The WR has to do his job and beat the man in front of him, get open and catch the ball reguardless who is throwing.

I don’t really care about your opinion. If I did I would have quoted one of your silly quotes. They make ignore buttons for people like me...😉
My personal opinion is that Brandon is a great receiver but Greezy spews slanted inside info that most would think comes from his nephew. I would like to hear how Brandon is working hard with his QBs to get himself and this team better, but no we here receivers didn’t know plays and this QB is the real deal. I know so much more but won’t tell... BlahBlah Blah...
A QB has to trust his receivers. Not the other way around. The WR has to do his job and beat the man in front of him, get open and catch the ball reguardless who is throwing.

The QBs and WRs actually have to trust each other it's not a one way street. Just like the entire team has to trust that each player is going to do their job. So.... Yup.

I take it you were never a Receiver or QB.... Just from those few lines.

I also said I would defend Brandon. His interview which you obviously didn't watch showed how humble of a kid Brandon is.

VN Store

Back