QB Battle

KC has one year of eligibility left, correct? JG has 3. Explain to me that if the competition is even somewhat close why you wouldn't start JG? Otherwise you start KC, JG transfers, where does that leave you next year?
You start the better guy. Politics is another forum.

You start the better guy. Politics is another forum.
That is not political. Just smart. I know I had coaches who said that. It's smart coaching. The younger guy will develop and pass the older guy. If they are close you go with the younger guy. If Shrout is as good as JG and KC he should start. If JG and KC are close JG should start.

Reactions: jackaro and Volanta
That is not political. Just smart. I know I had coaches who said that. It's smart coaching. The younger guy will develop and pass the older guy. If they are close you go with the younger guy. If Shrout is as good as JG and KC he should start. If JG and KC are close JG should start.
“Coaches” your new “ALL the experts”? 😉 We don’t have the team that can compensate for putting the lesser apt player on the field in order to try and steal more starters...and no credible program does either. Big of you to suspend your own personal reality to include Shrout in a discussion gerrymandered to come out with your choice, but let’s not delude ourselves...we have competent evaluators as our coaches. There’s not going to be any photo finish review of who’s better...it’ll be clear. And I never agreed with the line that CHRYST didn’t transfer here to be a backup, but the COACHES didn’t recruit him to compete and discount the results if he turns out better. All that and I still feel JG wins the job...just addressing the silly bartering nature of this board.

“Coaches” your new “ALL the experts”? 😉 We don’t have the team that can compensate for putting the lesser apt player on the field in order to try and steal more starters...and no credible program does either. Big of you to suspend your own personal reality to include Shrout in a discussion gerrymandered to come out with your choice, but let’s not delude ourselves...we have competent evaluators as our coaches. There’s not going to be any photo finish review of who’s better...it’ll be clear. And I never agreed with the line that CHRYST didn’t transfer here to be a backup, but the COACHES didn’t recruit him to compete and discount the results if he turns out better. All that and I still feel JG wins the job...just addressing the silly bartering nature of this board.
Yes I played sports and I had coaches say that they play the younger guy if it's close. Believe it or not many coaches think like that.

If they are close and we could win the same amount of games, but maybe they are closer than could be it's worth it to play the younger guy. If the difference is 7-5 vs 6-6 this year going with the younger guy, but starting him means 9-3 next year vs 6-6 or worse with a new qb you go with the younger guy imo. Pruitt may or may not think like that.

Also if they are neck and neck now wth one player starting many more games the younger guy probably catches up or passes him with a little more experience.

Out of the three named Hurts did the most by far. He still only had 4 200 yard passing games that year. He did take care of the ball great though.

And he was a force on the ground. He beat out a RS Frosh 5 star for the job

The QB position is far more game ready than 20 years ago. Because of camps. 7 on 7. And year around training.

It's not that abnormal have a true freshman start anymore.

If Shrout is better right now, then you play him.

Personally I think people are sleeping on McBride

Yes I played sports and I had coaches say that they play the younger guy if it's close. Believe it or not many coaches think like that.

If they are close and we could win the same amount of games, but maybe they are closer than could be it's worth it to play the younger guy. If the difference is 7-5 vs 6-6 this year going with the younger guy, but starting him means 9-3 next year vs 6-6 or worse with a new qb you go with the younger guy imo. Pruitt may or may not think like that.

Also if they are neck and neck now wth one player starting many more games the younger guy probably catches up or passes him with a little more experience.
Through no fault of your own, your coaches were HACKS. Prolly glorified drunks. So they had a senior who was better and played the inferior sophomore? That environment explains some of your takes, so I’ll strive to give you less grief on some of your doozies...and more credit when you get a base hit. There’s not going to be any “neck to neck”...that’s a myth. One will be better...play him.

I'm not trying to argue. I wouldn't call someone being one pound heavier in listed weight bigger than the other guy. Plus JG apparently is still putting on weight. Have you seen him now? Shrout isn't bigger than him. You keep saying he is bigger like he has 20 lbs on him.

Now Chryst. That is a big dude. He is huge compared to both.

I agree with this completely. JG does look like he is putting on complete muscle. Also, Chryst looks like a freaking tank.... Lol he is bigger then most of our TEs.....

1 of the many things I like about CJP is that like he said..the best players will be on the field at all positions..does not matter if you a freshman or not...
that is how you win...you play your best and let the chips fall where they may....
CJP is not afraid to play freshman...
I think that is 1 quality that will get him some great recruits.....
GBO

Reactions: ResQVOL and butchna
KC has one year of eligibility left, correct? JG has 3. Explain to me that if the competition is even somewhat close why you wouldn't start JG? Otherwise you start KC, JG transfers, where does that leave you next year?
Well, if truly even, it could leave you in a better place to recruit your QB of the future. The guys in the recruiting forum say that UT wants to sign two for '19. They've got one so the other is the one you could say "We get a big name or we take another position". A "big name" probably wants an open competition... not a returning starter with 2 years left.

So if even... it would be smarter recruiting wise to start the guy with only one year of eligibility.

And it almost goes without saying that Chryst is more like a guy Pruitt will want in the future than JG is.

Reactions: governmentmule
Through no fault of your own, your coaches were HACKS. Prolly glorified drunks. So they had a senior who was better and played the inferior sophomore? That environment explains some of your takes, so I’ll strive to give you less grief on some of your doozies...and more credit when you get a base hit. There’s not going to be any “neck to neck”...that’s a myth. One will be better...play him.
I actually played for someone who very respected and is in the TSHOF and one of the greatest TN coaches. For a program that is a multiple time champion. He is still there winning championships.

Many coaches think this way. It is smart. You just don't understand the concept apparently. To build a program you don't mortgage several more wins over the next few years for MAYBE one extra win this year.

No one said play an inferior player. If a player is really close and much younger he isn't inferior. Just less experienced. With experience he will be better.

Reactions: Rocky_top08
Well, if truly even, it could leave you in a better place to recruit your QB of the future. The guys in the recruiting forum say that UT wants to sign two for '19. They've got one so the other is the one you could say "We get a big name or we take another position". A "big name" probably wants an open competition... not a returning starter with 2 years left.

So if even... it would be smarter recruiting wise to start the guy with only one year of eligibility.

And it almost goes without saying that Chryst is more like a guy Pruitt will want in the future than JG is.
How does it go without saying KC is more the type of guy? What type is that? JG is more accurate and throws down the field more. KC scrambles more. It seems JG is more his type.
So what does that mean?

The big name qbs are 2020 anyway.

VN Store

Back